Stanley cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Stanley cup

Postby All the way back logue » June 10th, 2011, 8:48 am

Anyone watching this (ESPN)? Vancouver took a 2-0 lead after 2 home games. Game 3 in Boston was tied until the following "attack" (best word for it) on a Bruins player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXi7TM7moP4. Boston went on to win that game 8-1 and won game 4 by 4-0 to tie the series 2-2 (best of 7). Well worth a look in.
User avatar
All the way back logue
Graduate
 
Posts: 541
Joined: January 15th, 2007, 6:49 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby aisling7 » June 10th, 2011, 8:56 am

Yep... watched the Canucks v Boston game on ESPN america the other night - hilarious is all I can say!!
aisling7
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2436
Joined: October 22nd, 2006, 2:42 pm
Location: Meath

Re: Stanley cup

Postby kermischocolate » June 10th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Yea- I've sort of kind of discovered it.

I'm tempted to go watch some real life ice hockey in Glasgow but am afraid I'll like it too much and will have to choose between it and rugby!
User avatar
kermischocolate
Mullet
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Stanley cup

Postby Vamos los azules » June 10th, 2011, 2:02 pm

kermischocolate wrote:Yea- I've sort of kind of discovered it.

I'm tempted to go watch some real life ice hockey in Glasgow but am afraid I'll like it too much and will have to choose between it and rugby!


Ice hockey is great - I highly recommend going to a match. But yes, you do run the risk of liking it too much - I was completely addicted while living in Canada so the lack of an ice rink/hockey arena in Dublin is Leinster rugby's financial gain because I would definitely want to go to both otherwise. Very different viewing experiences though so you might find a nice balance between the two.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
User avatar
Vamos los azules
Mullet
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 11:17 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby Dave Cahill » June 10th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Would Ice Hockey ever go and f%~k off and stop taking up time that should be used for showing the Mets.


(actually, quite like it)
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21833
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Stanley cup

Postby John23 » June 11th, 2011, 10:40 am

Vamos los azules wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Yea- I've sort of kind of discovered it.

I'm tempted to go watch some real life ice hockey in Glasgow but am afraid I'll like it too much and will have to choose between it and rugby!


Ice hockey is great - I highly recommend going to a match. But yes, you do run the risk of liking it too much - I was completely addicted while living in Canada so the lack of an ice rink/hockey arena in Dublin is Leinster rugby's financial gain because I would definitely want to go to both otherwise. Very different viewing experiences though so you might find a nice balance between the two.


+ 1. Went to a New York Rangers game in Madison Square Gardens last November. Great atmosphere, crowd get really involved. The speed at which these guys move around is really frightening.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
User avatar
John23
Enlightened
 
Posts: 756
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby All the way back logue » June 14th, 2011, 9:22 am

Boston won last night to set up a game 7 in vancouver on wednesday night. Vancouver 'goalie' Luongo having a nightmare in games in Boston but then plays brilliantly in Vancouver. Well set up for a cracking final game.
User avatar
All the way back logue
Graduate
 
Posts: 541
Joined: January 15th, 2007, 6:49 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby suisse » June 14th, 2011, 11:15 am

It's a real home ice series but you gotta feel momentum is with the Bruins. I'm amazed how they have responded following last season's earth-shuddering collapse. If they win on Wednesday, ask any Bruin if they care about the 3-0 t0 3-4 loss to the Flyers. Tim Thomas will win the SC for the Bruins
User avatar
suisse
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4871
Joined: April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Re: Stanley cup

Postby tackle-bag » June 14th, 2011, 11:48 am

I've never been a big Ice Hockey fan, but I'm a general supporter of sports teams from Boston. Phenomenal start from the Bruins in the first period last night, they really dominated the early exchanges.

On a more general note, I think Boston really does punch above its weight in terms of sports in the US. It's only the 22nd largest city by population, yet it is home to arguably the strongest franchise in each of the four major US sports:-

- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.
- The Celtics ran away with their division of the NBA this season, but sadly let their form drop in the conference semi-finals against the Heat. Nonetheless, they won the Championship just 3 years ago for a record 17th time and are in a strong position for the years ahead.
- The Patriots are undoubtedly the strongest NFL team of the past decade, having won 3 championships and made 8 playoff appearances in that period. In 2008, they were denied what would have been the second perfect season in modern history by a mere 3 points.
- The Bruins aren't the strongest franchise in NHL history, but few would be able to doubt their status in the modern game if they can complete this great comeback on Wednesday. In any event, they still lie fourth in all-time Stanley Cup appearances, and second of the teams based in the US (as opposed to Canada).

I suppose my question is how is it that a relatively small city can sustain such excellence in all four sports? There's no doubt but that people in Boston are sports-mad, and that there is wealth in the city to support the business side of things. However, the same could be said of Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, San Diego and others. Each of those cities has had their successes, but none has enjoyed across the board success on the same level as Boston.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
User avatar
tackle-bag
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2971
Joined: March 25th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby Avenger » June 14th, 2011, 12:07 pm

tackle-bag wrote:- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.


I wouldn't bet on that. A lot of ball to be played before they start handing out rings.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Stanley cup

Postby tate » June 15th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Avenger wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.


I wouldn't bet on that. A lot of ball to be played before they start handing out rings.


agreed.

tackle-bag you forgot to factor in the sox's remarkable ability to choke in the play-offs. Hell, look what being pre-season favorites did to them in the opening 12 games
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
User avatar
tate
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: March 6th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Location: Leinsteropia

Re: Stanley cup

Postby tackle-bag » June 15th, 2011, 8:28 pm

tate wrote:
Avenger wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:- The Red Sox look unstoppable at the moment, and have picked up two World Series in the last 7 years. If they keep playing the way they are, a third looks inevitable in October.


I wouldn't bet on that. A lot of ball to be played before they start handing out rings.


agreed.

tackle-bag you forgot to factor in the sox's remarkable ability to choke in the play-offs. Hell, look what being pre-season favorites did to them in the opening 12 games


Hence the first part of the sentence - "if they keep playing the way they are...". Of course the Red Sox won't win the world series if their form goes to cr@p, or if they choke in the playoffs. What I meant was that there is no has been no other team, in all of MLB, playing as well as them over the past few weeks.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
User avatar
tackle-bag
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2971
Joined: March 25th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby kermischocolate » June 15th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Now I've finally got into this whole playoff thing why does the deciding game have to be in the middle of the night in the middle of the week??

Haven't the NHL ever heard of the weekend?!
User avatar
kermischocolate
Mullet
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Stanley cup

Postby suisse » June 16th, 2011, 6:04 am

All over now....

Bruins end their long wait. Thrashed the Canucks again. Their form at home and in the decider was too good. Tim Thomas again was an inspired man.
User avatar
suisse
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4871
Joined: April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Re: Stanley cup

Postby waterboy » June 16th, 2011, 10:31 am

Looks like they took the defeat well!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0616/vancouver.html
User avatar
waterboy
Graduate
 
Posts: 521
Joined: October 29th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby Donny B. » June 16th, 2011, 10:53 am

waterboy wrote:Looks like they took the defeat well!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0616/vancouver.html


Ah the traditional Ice Hockey riot!
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Stanley cup

Postby suisse » June 16th, 2011, 11:31 am

Quality photo of the couple making out on the street, seemingly in no man's land.

Boston Globe saying the victory is for all the hockey mom and dads in New England, who wake up at 6am every Sunday to driver their kids to the local ice rink in the freezing cold. Of course, the fact that the Bruins are almost entirely made up of Canadians hasn't dampened anything for the club. Hockey is peculiar - I have an American friend who is a staunch New Jersey Devils fan. She was supporting Canada over the US in the Olympic Final because most of her team are Canadian. Imagine if most of our boys played in the Aviva Prem and we supported Engerland in the RWC
User avatar
suisse
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4871
Joined: April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Re: Stanley cup

Postby TerenureJim » June 16th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Donny B. wrote:
waterboy wrote:Looks like they took the defeat well!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0616/vancouver.html


Ah the traditional Ice Hockey riot!


Who knew Canadians could be so violent

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing25.html

I'd figure a riot in Boston win or loose but Candaians???
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5241
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Stanley cup

Postby Scott » June 16th, 2011, 4:00 pm

"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
User avatar
Scott
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2994
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:24 pm

Re: Stanley cup

Postby tate » June 16th, 2011, 4:22 pm

holy jesus

there must be an ulterior motive behind that rioting. I really find it difficult to believe anyone's reaction to losing a cup final would be destroying their own city.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
User avatar
tate
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: March 6th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Location: Leinsteropia

Next

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest