Stanley cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Stanley cup

Post by tackle-bag »

Whatever about random scumbags rioting in the streets of Vancouver, the conduct of the so-called "fans" inside the arena was nothing short of a disgrace. While it's well-known that gougers with no interest in a particular cause will pledge allegiance to same for the sake of some good old-fashioned mayhem (take the Queen's visit here as a suitable example), there is absolutely no excuse for the scenes in Rogers Arena last night. As the Bruins were being awarded the Stanley Cup, and while Tim Thomas was receiving his MVP trophy in the wake of his outstanding performance, the Canucks supporters were booing and throwing random projectiles out onto the ice including coins and drink containers.

A friend of mine, who is a big Bruins fan, was fortunate enough to be at the game. He's a big guy, who's well able to look after himself, but said he was genuinely petrified of what was going on around him.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I'm not excusing anyone inside or outside the stadium but I do think it's gotta be very difficult to deal with the intensity and rivalry created by a 7 game series with so much at stake.

From what I could see there very few away fans which in any sport always leads to a "mob" mentality. Add in the rivalry and intensity and it's not a good mixture.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Bruins celebrated their win in style at the MGM Grand in Conneticuts Foxwoods resort, they managed to get through...

I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

That seems like a massive bar tab for that many drinks if the picture is correct numbers wise you're not even talking about the spend at the bar at a small Irish wedding so maybe €10k-€20k.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

looks like a great night
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

"1 BOT Ace MIDAS 100000.00" There's your culprit there. Couple of extra noughts explains the bill. That said I have no idea what a bottle of ace midas is but it seems to have turned the bill to gold for the hotel.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

fourthirtythree wrote:"1 BOT Ace MIDAS 100000.00" There's your culprit there. Couple of extra noughts explains the bill. That said I have no idea what a bottle of ace midas is but it seems to have turned the bill to gold for the hotel.
Yeah that or it was a tenner and the new guy Tibor hasn't quite got the hang of the till yet
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

fourthirtythree wrote:"1 BOT Ace MIDAS 100000.00" There's your culprit there. Couple of extra noughts explains the bill. That said I have no idea what a bottle of ace midas is but it seems to have turned the bill to gold for the hotel.

might have been one of those huge bottles of champagne, which google tells me is called a "Nebuchadnezzer"
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

30litlers of bubbly by the looks of it
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan