US Open Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

tate
Shane Horgan

Re: US Open Thread

Post by tate »

im open to correction but as far as i can tell there are only 2 sports that are not all-island - namely association football and athletics. Can anyone name any more?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

tate wrote:im open to correction but as far as i can tell there are only 2 sports that are not all-island - namely association football and athletics. Can anyone name any more?
AFAIK Hockey is all-Ireland but for the Olympics there is a GB team and an Ireland team (stricky speaking, teams from the British Olympic Association and Olypmic Council of Ireland) and players from N Ireland can opt for either. Generally speaking, if they think they have a chance of selection for GB, they have opted for that team as it has a better chance of qualification and medals than the Ireland team.

When it comes to golf, this will be introduced in the 2016 Olympics and I don't believe they have announced how qualification will work.

Same goes for rugby 7s. There will probably only be 12 teams qualifying for the Olympics 7s so there will be qualification either based upon performance in the 7s circuit or regional qualification competitions.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

tate wrote:im open to correction but as far as i can tell there are only 2 sports that are not all-island - namely association football and athletics. Can anyone name any more?
I think fencing is separate, although not exactly huge numbers of participants. I'm a little hazy on the details as it's been a few years now since I competed but I'm pretty sure NI ran their own events and affiliated somehow with British Fencing rather than being part of the Irish Federation. I also can't remember fencing anyone from the North in the Irish Nationals, although I may just have had a lucky draw and avoided them (they start far younger up there and were much better than those of us who took it up as a social activity in college).
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Netball and snooker are also both separate
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:
Press conference quotes from the IT suggest he did:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 10352.html
Glad to hear it. I did say i was open to correction however.
if you're open to a little more correction, McIlroy doesn't have a mid-atlantic accent - he's got a perfectly good North Down accent, much like me own :) McDowell's is a bit of an abomination mind you..
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Cycling has had a fairly turbulent history on the island with the world body eventually forcing them all (think there were 3 at one stage) to unite (by refusing racing licences through the British Federation) and making Cycling Ireland the governing body on the island of Ireland. Members can opt to be British or Irish on their licence from CI since 2007.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

darkside lighteside wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:

if you're open to a little more correction, McIlroy doesn't have a mid-atlantic accent - he's got a perfectly good North Down accent, much like me own :) McDowell's is a bit of an abomination mind you..

Give him time and he'll soon sound hilarious. I heard it somewhere McDowell actually cringes when he hears his own voice nowadays?

As for David feherty ? WTF is he on :lol:
3 Gold Stars
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
darkside lighteside wrote:McIlroy doesn't have a mid-atlantic accent - he's got a perfectly good North Down accent, much like me own :) McDowell's is a bit of an abomination mind you..

Give him time and he'll soon sound hilarious. I heard it somewhere McDowell actually cringes when he hears his own voice nowadays?

And as for Philip Walton's voice :wink:

Edit I don't know if its a medical condition, so if it is, I do apologise.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

darkside lighteside wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote:

I thought you'd be pure bowe bells cockernee by now!!! :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

gor blimey guv'nor, it's bad enaff listening to it wivaahht torking it me old china!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Mauler wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
darkside lighteside wrote:McIlroy doesn't have a mid-atlantic accent - he's got a perfectly good North Down accent, much like me own :) McDowell's is a bit of an abomination mind you..

And as for Philip Walton's voice :wink:

He rarely gave interviews. :?
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Mauler wrote:And as for Philip Walton's voice :wink:

Biffo, Is that really you all this time?

(He had part of his voice box removed as a young child i gather, wicked childhood as a result.)
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP