The Open Championship 2011

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Open Championship 2011

Post by Cianostays »

Vamos los azules wrote:
BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Well done Darren!!!

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
+1

It has taken a while but so nice to see him get there at last.
I got chills with the reception he received on the 18th. Fantastic stuff!
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fantastic performance and thoroughly deserved. Always felt he was the most naturally talented Irish golfer of his generation so it's fantastic that he won the major he always had in him.

I make that 6 out of the last 17 majors to Irish golfers. Amazing considering Fred Daly was our only major winner for so long!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Well done Darren. Amazingly it seemed to me lie a foregone conclusion today :o ! As Donny said, for years it seemed like a particular form of Irish foolishness to think we could win a major- now it seems to happen every month! Let's bear that in mind for the RWC - huh?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

jezzer wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
IanD wrote:Paddy Power is paying out on the first 7 places in the third major of the year at Royal St George's. Places are 1/4 Odds on the above tournament.

So any recomendations for long shots to get into the top 7?

Thomas Bjorn.
Carving up the course at the moment. -6 after 16.

Very impressive call, Blank!

Cheers, and an equally impressive sum of $$$$$$ coming my way from Paddy Power :lol:

Delighted for Clarke, he was on auto pilot all day, outstanding stuff. Long long overdue and yet again an Irishman wins a major(7th) :green clap:

Great to see the various well wishers waiting on 18 to shake his hand, think I saw Noel Fox (Portmarnock)at one stage hugging him?

Peter Allis said some nice words at the end about Irish golf past and present :happy clapper:

Great day, great speech, great win and finally our golfers are reaping the rewards we so richly deserve.
3 Gold Stars
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
IanD wrote:Paddy Power is paying out on the first 7 places in the third major of the year at Royal St George's. Places are 1/4 Odds on the above tournament.

So any recomendations for long shots to get into the top 7?

Thomas Bjorn.
Cheers, and an equally impressive sum of $$$$$$ coming my way from Paddy Power :lol:

Nice tip Mr. Blank :clap: :happy clapper: :clap: :happy clapper: . Got Bjorn at 175/1 for a place. I owe you a pint.

Gutted now I only had a couple of euro on it - did not have the courage for a big bet. :roll: :roll:
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:Fantastic performance and thoroughly deserved. Always felt he was the most naturally talented Irish golfer of his generation so it's fantastic that he won the major he always had in him.

I make that 6 out of the last 17 majors to Irish golfers. Amazing considering Fred Daly was our only major winner for so long!
A lot of the older Irish golfers rarely got a chance to play in any of the US majors so their chances of winning one were restricted only to The Open Championship. Christy O'Connor Snr. never played in a US major. It's only in the last 20-25 years that our players have had a chance to compete in the USA. More often than not, their best chance was to be the British Amateur winner.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Doesn't really take away from the fact that Irish golf is on a bit of a high at the moment though, and Northern Irish golf in particular. Padraig seems to have managed a fairly terminal decline although he's still younger than Darren Clarke I think....
Four Stars