2014 Soccer World Cup Qualifiers

Post by nelly the elephant »

Germany
Sweden
IRELAND
Austria
Faroe Islands
Kazakhstan

A fairly tough ask................second place even might be a stretch as trips to Stockholm and Vienna may prove fruitless.

Could have been worse though......have you seen Norn Iron's group??? :shock:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 2014 Soccer World Cup Qualifiers

Post by gfo »

England have a tough group this time around
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

So no trip to Rio then....
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

FAI couldn't give a toss about Rio before the draw I'd say. They were looking for big teams to get big TV deals. Game v's Germany last time netted them 10milion I read, a couple of those will ease their borrowings a little.
Get in the f%~king bag.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Germany are constantly drawing Austria these days. It's amazing how that always happens that two teams just can't be separated.

Delaney is talking the talk, but that is a very tough group. Austria may not be the same side that picked us apart in 1995 (or whenever it was) but they'll be very tough to beat in Vienna. Sweden are regular qualifiers for major tournaments, Germany are bloody good, and a trip to Astana? Jeez....

I see Croatia drew Serbia and Macedonia in another group? Gonna be a long night for the security forces whenever two teams from that three meet.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Here's the qualifying fixtures for those who missed it...........

Republic of Ireland World Cup Qualifying Group C schedule:

7 September, 2012

Kazakhstan v Republic of Ireland

12 October, 2012

Republic of Ireland v Germany

16 October, 2012

Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland

22 March, 2013

Sweden v Republic of Ireland

26 March, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Austria

7 June, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Faroe Islands

6 September, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Sweden

10 September, 2013

Austria v Republic of Ireland

11 October, 2013

Germany v Republic of Ireland

15 October, 2013

Republic of Ireland v Kazakhstan
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Well...............talk about mixed emotions.....the closest I ever got to being unhappy when we scored. The consolation I was drawing at around the 85th minute was that at least Trap would have to resign out of embarassment.............

Amazing TV after the match when the panel were doing their stuff. Tremendous performance from Richard Sadlier.....honest,forthright,knowlegable and calm......an impressive combination. It's about time we had someone call a spade a spade but he did it in such an assured, non-sensationalist manner.....the rest of this qualifying campaign could be unique....car crash on the pitch and unmissable off it......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Brady should recuse himself from being on a panel until Trapp is gone. He's a f%~king embarrassment these days!

"You want the man to lose his job over one bad performance?" he demanded of Sadlier when he dared to question Trapp (Giles chickened out). No, we want him sacked after a year of terrible performances, barely watchable football, barmy selections (every Irish striker on the wing, but not McClean) and man management that Captain Bligh would be ashamed of.

f%~k off Brady and take Trapp with you!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cr@p perfomance, great result. I suspect opinions will change as the group develops and Kazakhstan prove to be better than we realise.
54 goals for Keano! What an amazing goalscorer, thats more than Quinn, Stapo n Doyle combined! Our greatest ever striker.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

The most embarrassing watch I've had recently.

And that includes 60-0 and 45-20 humblings.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The long ball...........oh the long ball.................and again with the long ball :cry:

It was horrific to watch particularly with a potential midfield 4 of Mclean, Whealan, McCarthy and McGeady that would be capable of playing decent to watch and, far more importantly, effective football.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Shocking.....shocking......shocking result......but...as Dunphy said just there....it's been coming for a while.

In fairness....it's always amazed me how "anti-Dunphy" the populace has been....since 1990! He's been just about the most HONEST pundit commentating on ANY sport in these islands for the past 20 years. He's called the shots on most situations absolutely true......and i've often thought he was wrong....it's not a crime being passionate and wrong people.......it's a crime being an effin spoofer and sitting on the fence. Keep speaking up Eamo......you're mad and bonkers but you know more than 95% of the people watching...
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Yeah he's right tonight, but Christ any idiot knows that at this stage!

But let's not say he's right about most things. He changes his mind constantly, as Liam Fay once said there are icecubes on beachbars with a higher life expectancy than an Eamonn Dunphy opinion.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:Yeah he's right tonight, but Christ any idiot knows that at this stage!

But let's not say he's right about most things. He changes his mind constantly, as Liam Fay once said there are icecubes on beachbars with a higher life expectancy than an Eamonn Dunphy opinion.

Unfair I think......he's passionate in the extreme and often gets things wrong...point is...he has an opinion. Most of the time it tends to be close to the mark. He was calling the potential shambles at Euro 2012 long before the horrifying reality came up to rudely bitch-slap us about the place back in June........some pundits(George Hook-Rugby, Joe Brolly-Gah football) are delibirately controversial just to stir things up....they're usually shown up as such. Eamo USUALLY has some theory to back him up........
Bite and Belloq
Learner

Post by Bite and Belloq »

Müllered :(
Marta was watching the game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

nelly the elephant wrote:He's called the shots on most situations absolutely true......quote]
nelly the elephant wrote:Unfair I think......he's passionate in the extreme and often gets things wrong...
Make up your mind would you.

Giles has knowledge, Brady and Houghton have knowledge. Dunphy is an opinion. Big difference.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Logorrhea wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:He's called the shots on most situations absolutely true......quote]
nelly the elephant wrote:Unfair I think......he's passionate in the extreme and often gets things wrong...
Make up your mind would you.

Giles has knowledge, Brady and Houghton have knowledge. Dunphy is an opinion. Big difference.
Beer...............thanks for putting me straight though......what would we do without you?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Ahhh right then. My apologies for not knowing you were drunk when posting those completely contradictory posts within 20 mins of eachother.

I'll keep that in mind going forward.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Logorrhea wrote:Ahhh right then. My apologies for not knowing you were drunk when posting those completely contradictory posts within 20 mins of eachother.

I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Easy Tiger...I may have mentioned beer...never said anything about being drunk...........maybe you should take a night off from your crusading?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Nahh I'm grand thanks. Maybe you should read what you type before hitting the submit button?