Hurling final 2011

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Hurling final 2011

Postby sid » August 31st, 2011, 8:42 pm

So this one promises to be a cracker. Anyone got any opinions on it? I'm hoping that with Henry back and a fit Brian Hogan and Tommy Walsh KK will have enough. The thought of Tipp's intensity last year has me very worried though.

Of course everyone here will be up for KK. Right? :mrgreen:
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
User avatar
sid
Mullet
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am
Location: Donny B's Traitor Brigade

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby Avenger » September 4th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Now that it's almost game time, I'll add my tuppence worth.

Happy enough with the build up this year. Certainly better than last years circus.

I have a feeling we'll do it but I'm expecting a great battle. Tipp are quality and with everyone fit we are every bit as good. A few of the lads have been written off but I think that's a bit premature. A few are close to the end and we can't be in finals every year (the last 13 years have been unbelievable in that sense) but this team is the best hurling team I've seen so I think they have a few more years in them. We also have a decent convayor belt of young lads coming through.

I'd say we'll come out with a couple of points to spare. The rain might keep the scores a bit lower than the last two finals.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3390
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby Avenger » September 4th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Nice one :)

Tommy Walsh, JJ, Murphy, Hickey, Brian Hogan and Michael Fennelly (my hurler of the year) all outstanding.
Thought Henry was huge today too and Larkin had his best game in a while. Richie Power was excellent too and Eddie Brennan (who I was slightly worried about) also had a fine game. Hard to pick a Cat who didn't turn up today. A great all round team performance.
We were the hungrier team and should have been further ahead at half time IMO but Tipp are the best opposition we have faced over the last 13 or 14 years and will be back. This could be the last we see of Henry, Brennan and Hickey and what a way to go. Great servants to Kilkenny.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
User avatar
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3390
Joined: February 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Location: lost in thought; it's unfamiliar territory...

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby Donny B. » September 4th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Congrats Avenger and a pretty accurate prediction. Kilkenny were consistenly the better team on the day and the half-backs in particular were immense. Tipp couldn't cope with their speed and aggression and a lot of their big name forwards were simply eclipsed. Their halfbacks kept looking for extra tme on the ball that Kilkenny simply weren't allowing them. Hogan's goal was a thing of beauty as well.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby sid » September 4th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Jaysus, was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Thrilled with the result. Tommy Walsh was focking immense, just as the backs as a unit were. Fennelly and Rice got through some amount of ball.

And it does indeed seem that nobody gets the better of Noel Hickey twice :)
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
User avatar
sid
Mullet
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am
Location: Donny B's Traitor Brigade

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby nelly the elephant » September 4th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Avenger wrote:Now that it's almost game time, I'll add my tuppence worth.

Happy enough with the build up this year. Certainly better than last years circus.

I have a feeling we'll do it but I'm expecting a great battle. Tipp are quality and with everyone fit we are every bit as good. A few of the lads have been written off but I think that's a bit premature. A few are close to the end and we can't be in finals every year (the last 13 years have been unbelievable in that sense) but this team is the best hurling team I've seen so I think they have a few more years in them. We also have a decent convayor belt of young lads coming through.

I'd say we'll come out with a couple of points to spare. The rain might keep the scores a bit lower than the last two finals.


Jaysus.....eerily close to the outcome as it played out Avenger........................great game.....a great advert. The better team won in a keenly fought final. Posession of the ball has never been as hotly contested.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
User avatar
nelly the elephant
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2195
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Location: Gleann Fhaidhle, Contae Cill Mhantáin

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby nelly the elephant » September 4th, 2011, 8:40 pm

sid wrote:Jaysus, was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Thrilled with the result. Tommy Walsh was focking immense, just as the backs as a unit were. Fennelly and Rice got through some amount of ball.

And it does indeed seem that nobody gets the better of Noel Hickey twice :)



He was without question.....he also might have gotten a red card the way he was wielding the hurley in that set-to in the first half(when the ref got cut). A lucky(if superbly talented) boy!
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
User avatar
nelly the elephant
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2195
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Location: Gleann Fhaidhle, Contae Cill Mhantáin

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby sid » September 4th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Ah it's grand, he was trying to get a Tipp lad.

Agree though. Awesome as he is, he really makes me worry sometimes. Very, very glad he didn't walk for that.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
User avatar
sid
Mullet
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: September 25th, 2010, 11:38 am
Location: Donny B's Traitor Brigade

Re: Hurling final 2011

Postby jezzer » September 6th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Donny B. wrote:Congrats Avenger and a pretty accurate prediction. Kilkenny were consistenly the better team on the day and the half-backs in particular were immense. Tipp couldn't cope with their speed and aggression and a lot of their big name forwards were simply eclipsed. Their halfbacks kept looking for extra tme on the ball that Kilkenny simply weren't allowing them. Hogan's goal was a thing of beauty as well.


Totally agree. I thought tactically Kilkenny took Tipp to school and their technical execution around the halfback line and the breaking ball was incredible. It was like a well-oiled machine there and it spat Tipp out every time they tried to move upfield.

I'm amazed they continued to pump long balls up to the forwards because the Cats lapped it up all day.

Great win for the country's greatest sporting team bar none.
User avatar
jezzer
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm


Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest