General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Re: General GAA thread

Post by Cianostays »

What struck me about Mayo is that there always seemed to be players running beyond the man in posession. Dublin could match their pace but I'm not sure a methodical build up play would work against the Mayo side that played today.

Seriously impressive stuff from Mayo. Time will tell whether they could produce that performance again.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Mayo last year's runners up this years champs?

kerry look to run out of steam after the first half in games

Dublin would be odds on to beat them in the semis and if they play like they did against cavan and cork in the 2nd half they will get hammered?

Tyrone seem to be the least fancied mainly down to style of play or are they poorest side left in it?
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

What a hurling final.....did justice to a great season. It would have been a travesty had Clare lost but Cork must be kicking themselves.....here's to more quality hurling in the replay.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Davey Fitz is an angry little man,

Looking forward to the replay though. Great game for a neutral.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Great replay! Brilliant by Clare!
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

deco wrote:Great replay! Brilliant by Clare!
That was entertainment all right. Well done Clare.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Incredible game.......a credit to both counties, the GAA in general...and indeed the country. Beyond superlatives.....I could watch the replay on a continuous loop.....
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

A legend...good luck with the retirement Tomás.

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-features/toma ... ry-legend/
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

2014 Leinster Football Championship

Round 1:
Wicklow v Laois
Longford v Offaly
Westmeath v Louth

Quarter-Finals:
Wicklow/Laois v Dublin
Longford/Offaly v Wexford
Westmeath/Louth v Kildare
Carlow v Meath

Semi-Finals:
Wicklow/Laois/Dublin v Longford/Offaly/Wexford
Westmeath/Louth/Kildare v Carlow/Meath

2014 Leinster Hurling Championship

Qualifier group:
Laois, Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath and London.

Quarter-Finals:
Wexford v Qualifier Group Winners
Galway v Qualifier Group Runners-Up
Kilkenny v Offaly

Semi-Finals:
Wexford/Qualifier Group Winners v Dublin
Galway/Qualifier Group Runners-Up v Kilkenny/Offaly
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

meinster wrote:Would it be raining on the parade if I asked if Wicklow senior hurling was not a two-horse race anyway (1 of Glenealy/Carnew in every final since before the turn of the century)? Start winning something in Leinster, and you'll impress me more (tough crowd!). Still 3-in-a-row is a great achievement. Now, go sort out Wicklow hurling!

Four-in-a-row titles won by Glenealy on Sunday, beating a young Bray Emmets team by three points in the end. :D Very exciting, close game though we shot a lot of wides in the 1st half and could/should have been out of sight. Good to see new contenders challenging, I expect to see Bray doing well next year and maybe themselves and Avondale competing with ourselves and Carnew more consistently over the next while.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

nelly the elephant wrote:Four-in-a-row titles won by Glenealy on Sunday
Not a lot has changed, then, eh?! Congrats. Hopefully Bray do come on a bit now. Wicklow badly needs it.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Howdy?
Probably the wrong place to be touting this stuff but, If you're a big fan of Kildare Hurling........ today is your lucky day!!!
I have 4 premium level tics (2+2) to croker for tomorrow v Kerry.
FOC PM if your interested.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Super game of hurling yesterday. A bit gutted that Kilkenny couldn't see it out but its another day and another championship game - and if its as good as that whats to complain about.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
AwayTheWell
Learner

Post by AwayTheWell »

Avenger wrote:Super game of hurling yesterday. A bit gutted that Kilkenny couldn't see it out but its another day and another championship game - and if its as good as that whats to complain about.
Amazing finish but wouldn't have thought if was that fantastic a game overall. A bit of a shock to see Kilkenny lose such a big lead in such a short space of time alright.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Did I mention that Longford beat Derry for the third time in a row in the qualifiers?
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

The Cats superb today in the Leinster Final......very disappointed that the Dubs lined out with only 2 in the full forward line......too much respect and Murphy, Tyrrell and Delaney had a field day. The writing was on the wall at halftime...4 points lead didn't reflect the superiority. My only straws to clutch at are that we live to fight another day at least and that hopefully we'll get some recovery on the injuries that are affecting us.....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nelly the elephant wrote:The Cats superb today in the Leinster Final......very disappointed that the Dubs lined out with only 2 in the full forward line......too much respect and Murphy, Tyrrell and Delaney had a field day. The writing was on the wall at halftime...4 points lead didn't reflect the superiority. My only straws to clutch at are that we live to fight another day at least and that hopefully we'll get some recovery on the injuries that are affecting us.....
The cats were excellent alright and but for a superb display from Nolan in goal it would have been over by half-time. Richie Hogan was like Pirlo in the middle, just pulling all the strings effortlessly. They were far more tenacious in the tackle and so intelligent in their distribution. Yet, they're still not the team they were, there was a period between the 50th and 60th minute where they seemed to flag and Dublin were still only 5/6 points behind. Dublin created two goal chances that were both well saved by Herrity. If one of them had been converted Dublin could have created an exciting finish at least and other teams, better teams, will take note of that, especially Cork.

Dublin were never anywhere near the pitch of the game though. One again, second year syndrome seems to have occured where the Dubs can't maintain progress and in fact slip back badly after a good previous season. Daly set them up negatively and that seemed to seep into the team. What the hell was Keaney thinking going for a point from the penalty chance? Only two points down, game has barely started and you don't have the balls to go for a goal? Otherwise the tactics were basically to lump it into an out-numbered full forward line which normally turned over the ball. When Kilkenny's excellent half back line had the ball they took their time and looked for and normally found a man. Even when Dublin's forwards did get the ball, they normally took it out the field before rushing an ill-judged shot. The goal came from a young guy, Cronin, having the temerity to actually take on the Cats defence and run at them.

Leaving aside the tactics though, Dublin's touch on the ball was frankly embarrassing for inter-county hurlers. Time and again the ball was lost due to piss-poor basic skills. Can't blame Daley on that one.

I was on the Hill and there was a good crowd on it, but it's horrible to see a team not even turn up. Hard to see them turning it around for the quarter-final, especially if they meet a Tipp or a Clare.
Last edited by Donny B. on July 7th, 2014, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

nelly the elephant wrote:The Cats superb today in the Leinster Final......
I wouldn't say superb. Always comfortable but still lots to work on.
Some great individual performances though. Brain Hogan, JJ and Buckley were immense. If Ritchie Hogan is not careful he could end up being hurler of the year and TJ racked up another big personal tally. Nice to see Sheff coming on and getting some nice touches. And while Larkin only scored a point the amount of work he puts in for the team is very pleasing to see from a fans POV. Eoin Larkin personifies the personality of Kilkenny hurling.

Nolan was excellent for Dublin and his matter of fact post match interview on The Sunday game was very refreshing to see also.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Donny B. wrote:a superb display from Nolan in goal
My MotM (and that's saying a lot!). A superb all 'round performance from a lad that'd have been forgiven for coughing up 5 or 6 goals.
Donny B. wrote:What the hell was Keaney thinking going for a point from the penalty chance?
The right call, IMO. You take points when you can get them. That early in the game, Dublin were more than living with KK; they didn't need the "sucker blow" at that stage, and they certainly didn't need to come away with zero points. Later in the match (time, or score difference, wise), I'd probably agree.

Dublin managed to strangle KK's flow for most of the game. Had they had more confidence, the first-touch issues wouldn't have been as profound and would have complimented their strong defensive tactics nicely. KK would still have won, but Dublin would have been a lot closer on the scoreboard, and a lot closer to a display they're capable of. Consistency of the mind; it's what Daly couldn't do for Dublin (in all his time there), and nor for Clare when he was manager. He gets lots of stuff right, but putting it all together seems to be a problem (which is not all his fault).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Avenger wrote:I wouldn't say superb. Always comfortable but still lots to work on.
Agreed (although you got the sense that KK had a whole lot more to give if it was needed). Bad timing for KK again. They sail through without much opposition, and now get to rest on their laurels for a few extra weeks. Granted Galway gave them a test, but too early on for it to really count. The rest (and a bit of laziness / lack of spark) cost them a final spot last year; not so this year, they look hungry again.

Now, for the rest of the summer! Clare won't get a chance to meet them, on current form, Limerick just not consistently good enough, and discounting all others bar Cork or Tipp. Tipp need to get in to the swing of it, they were really impressive once Galway had run out of ideas (and an impressive latter stage of league). Cork look to be even more polished this year (not great against Clare, but still a well-oiled team performance; something KK lacked until yesterday). KK v Cork in the final? Unless Davy has more Miwadi and biscuits up his sleeve (it's all part of the master plan for back-to-back AIs, you know).