General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: General GAA thread

Post by JB1973 »

is Dublin vs Meath the big GAA grudge match then? or do all local derby games get very heated?
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

JB1973 wrote:is Dublin vs Meath the big GAA grudge match then? or do all local derby games get very heated?
You'd have to ask a Meath fan!

There are many grudge matches, but everyone outside the capital seems to hate Dublin.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

domhnallj wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Donegal were worthy winners but they are some dirty and cynical shower. Even with the game won they were still diving trying to get players sent off. Hope Kerry stuff them. Supporters are classless pieces of sh!t too.
I agree.
Steady on lads.....bit of a generalisation, no?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I agree. Who could call Daniel O'Donnell a classless p.o.s?....
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

johng wrote:I agree. Who could call Daniel O'Donnell a classless p.o.s?....

What on earth are you doing on the Gah thread Johng....are you lost my dear fellow?? :wink:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nelly the elephant wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Donegal were worthy winners but they are some dirty and cynical shower. Even with the game won they were still diving trying to get players sent off. Hope Kerry stuff them. Supporters are classless pieces of sh!t too.
I agree.
Thought they were a horrible lot, sneering like c**ts once they got a lead.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Donny B. wrote:Thought they were a shorrible lot, sneering like c**ts once they got a lead.
Not like that crowd on the hill when Meath got the goal.......
At least this way you'll have an interest in the final.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Donny B. wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Thought they were a horrible lot, sneering like c**ts once they got a lead.
I know a Donegal lad who after the quarter finals was completely anti-Dubs because of the abuse he got for wearing a Donegal jersey on his way home that night.

He said after Sunday that he had completely changed his mind as everyone he talked to was sound and wished them well in the final.

So basically there's pricks in all supporter bases... and you have to take the good with the bad. Enjoy the craic and ignore the knobs.

I don't care who wins it now. I'd have liked to see Mayo win it but that wasn't to be this year.

You also have to remember that the Dublin team was built up to be an unbeatable team and that has been the media agenda all summer so I'm sure a lot of neutrals were turned off by that.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

What a game! Just sick I didn't take 10/1 for the draw when I saw it in the bookies yesterday
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

paddyor wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Thought they were a shorrible lot, sneering like c**ts once they got a lead.
Not like that crowd on the hill when Meath got the goal.......
At least this way you'll have an interest in the final.
Oh you're a meath man? Explains a lot
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Again the best game in the world proving....it's the best game in the world. Kudos to the players and management of Kilkenny & Tipperary for providing a real spectacle today in the biggest game of the season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Even I enjoyed it. :)
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

nelly the elephant wrote:Again the best game in the world proving....it's the best game in the world. Kudos to the players and management of Kilkenny & Tipperary for providing a real spectacle today in the biggest game of the season.
Even Croke Park announced the game as the highlight of the GAA calendar (sorry you lesser football fans!). Cracking game (even if first touch skills were on a par with U12 camogie at times). It would have been very harsh on KK to lose on that last free. Now, how to get a ticket for the next day. I dare say neither KK or Tipp will be sending any back the next day!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

The All Ireland final for the last number of years really has been an exceptional game and yesterday's was no exception.

Massive effort from both sets of players. Its unfair to single out players when so many played really well but for Kilkenny I thought Jackie Tyrrell, Ritchie Hogan, Eoin Larkin, Ritchie Power and TJ Reid were outstanding while for Tipperary, Bonner Maher, O’Dwyer, Noel McGrath and Seamus Callanan were also outstanding. Looking at that list it loo like both sets of forewards were well on top but it seemed that they had to fight really hard for each score so considering that both teams got a total of 31 points that was some achievement.

Ritchie Hogan got the Sunday Game man of the match and his move to center forward was massive but for me the man of the match was Seamus Callanan. He was outstanding and dragged JJ all over the field while also scoring some lovely points. Ritchie also got some lovely scores yesterday and if Kilkenny had won yesterday,he'd probably be hurler of the year but with another game to come, he'll need another performance to get it.

What a game. Tipp still massive favourites for the replay ;)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

For the first time in years I've been enjoying the football and hurling (apart from actually being in Croker). Thanks to Sky I can watch the games in the comfort of my own living room rather than having to go to the local Irish Centre and stand on sticky carpet and drink chyte lager.

Well done to KK and Tip :happy clapper: Can't wait for next weeks replay.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

domhnallj wrote:Can't wait for next weeks replay.
The replay is on Saturday, 27 September at 5pm
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Avenger wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Can't wait for next weeks replay.
The replay is on Saturday, 27 September at 5pm
It is indeed.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

So penalties. Is the attacking team at a disadvantage?
I think since this rule change, there has been 9 penalties in the championship with only 2 resulting in goals.

A forward can go from being inside the square, one on one with the keeper, extreamly likely to score to being fouled and having to take a lift and strike shot 20m+ out with 3 men on the line.
Where is the advantage there?

Edit: I think both penalties in Sunday's All Ireland final were poorly struck shots but there may be other factors like worrying about whether they cross the 20m line during the process of taking the strike.

For example, I believe that TJ Reid (who is a very clean striker of the ball) would score a penalty under the current rule.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Avenger wrote:So penalties. Is the attacking team at a disadvantage?
I think since this rule change, there has been 9 penalties in the championship with only 2 resulting in goals.

A forward can go from being inside the square, one on one with the keeper, extreamly likely to score to being fouled and having to take a lift and strike shot 20m+ out with 3 men on the line.
Where is the advantage there?

Edit: I think both penalties in Sunday's All Ireland final were poorly struck shots but there may be other factors like worrying about whether they cross the 20m line during the process of taking the strike.

For example, I believe that TJ Reid (who is a very clean striker of the ball) would score a penalty under the current rule.
I was thinking that myself watching on Sunday. They were poor shots but it does seem to benefit the cynical.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

[quote="Avenger"][quote="Donny B."][quote="domhnallj"][quote="Donny B."]Donegal were worthy winners but they are some dirty and cynical shower. Even with the game won they were still diving trying to get players sent off. Hope Kerry stuff them. Supporters are classless pieces of sh!t too.

That Donegal team played the most sophisticated and tactically shrewd game of football ever witnessed in Croke park.They have a small population which with a high unemployment rate and limited resources.What they have done is miraculous.They have just about 18 or 19 players that are good enough for that level.They battle for half the year with half a squad living outside the county who are unable to train.To come to croke park and overcome the dubs in their home patch was special.I hope they do Kerry over in the final.Hats off to them.