General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: General GAA thread

Post by Donny B. »

Fair play to Donegal. Didn't think anyone was going to beat Cork this year but they won well and took some seriously good scores in doing so.

They have to be favourites for the final, regardless of who wins from Dublin/Mayo.
Last edited by Donny B. on August 27th, 2012, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Donny B. wrote:Fair play to Donegal. Didn't think anyone was going to beat Cork this year but they won well and took some seriously good scores in doing so.

They have to be favourites from the final, regardless of who wins from Dublin/Mayo.
Absolutely....if you're knocking out Kerry AND Cork en-route you have to be favourites......bring on next week....the Dubs CANT possibly play any worse. I've a lot of faith in Gilroy's ability to "fix" things when they're wrong....I hope(and expect) it's not misplaced. Donegal to win a repeat of 20 years ago for me......
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Galway up by 5pts at HT in the hurling final. Terrific goal from Canning.

If Galway can maintain their intensity, it could be a fantastic 2nd half.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

That was never a free. :x
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

sid wrote:That was never a free. :x
Debatable to put it mildly but, as a neutral, I'm thrilled it was given. Should be a great game on the 30th.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Unbelievable lack of composure from Galway in the second half. People will say that "Kilkenny raised their game like true champions" and all those other clichés, but the result today arose from a simple lack of bottle between minutes 35 and 65. They must have had around 10 wides in the second half, most of which arose from good scoring chances.

Sadly I suspect the replay will be something like 3-16 to 0-04.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

tackle-bag wrote:Unbelievable lack of composure from Galway in the second half. People will say that "Kilkenny raised their game like true champions" and all those other clichés, but the result today arose from a simple lack of bottle between minutes 35 and 65. They must have had around 10 wides in the second half, most of which arose from good scoring chances.

Sadly I suspect the replay will be something like 3-16 to 0-04.
I get the logic of that alright but I'd be of the opinion that Galway, having played them twice this season, simply have no fear of Kilkenny.

The Cats may retain the All-Ireland but I don't see a hammering on the cards for the replay.

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Cianostays wrote:Galway up by 5pts at HT in the hurling final. Terrific goal from Canning.

If Galway can maintain their intensity, it could be a fantastic 2nd half.
...and so it was!

Really enjoyed watching it as a neutral. I thought Shefflin would've gone for a goal for the penalty, but the point was probably the right option.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

sid wrote:That was never a free. :x
It wasn't but a draw was a fair result. Everyone gets another crack at it and the GAA are delighted ;)

I don't buy that Galway bottled it at all. Apart from one gimme free that Joe Canning missed I don't think they missed any that would have been considered easy, plus the pressure that was being applied was intense. Kilkenny missed a few in the first half so it evened itself out.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

deco wrote:I thought Shefflin would've gone for a goal for the penalty, but the point was probably the right option.
It was 100% the correct option. There was 2 1/2 minutes left.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fair play to the G.A.A. Tickets for the replay reduced to €50 from €80.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Seriously thought Mayo would capitulate after being down 2-1 to 0-0 in the first 10 mins but they've fought their way back impressively.

Donegal still infront 2-6 to 0-8

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Congrats to Donegal! They've been the best team this season and deserve the trophy.

Fair play to Mayo for showing the character to make some sort of game out of it, but the seven-point start was always too much to make up.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Good to see that Mayo kept trying. Pity they screwed up so awfully at the beginning though.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:Congrats to Donegal! They've been the best team this season and deserve the trophy.

Fair play to Mayo for showing the character to make some sort of game out of it, but the seven-point start was always too much to make up.
Deserved Champions, no question :clap: :clap: :clap:

yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Been away but dont think the girls of Wexford have got a mention here so just wanted to say well done to the yellabelly ladies on a great win last Sunday :D :D :happy clapper:
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Congratulations to Henry Shefflin and Noel Hickey. 9 All-Ireland medals is a stunning achievement for the 2 of them. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kilkenny were the better side today but had Canning's shot gone in and not hit the post it could have been an even better final for the neutral.

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

nelly the elephant wrote:County final day today.....our 9th in-a-row, playing our oldest bitterest rivals Carnew.....and my first as Chairman.......wish us luck? Please! :)
Eh....2012 version......County final day Sunday.....our 10th in-a-row, playing our oldest bitterest rivals Carnew.....and my second as Chairman.......going for 3-in-a-row............wish us luck? Please!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

nelly the elephant wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:County final day today.....our 9th in-a-row, playing our oldest bitterest rivals Carnew.....and my first as Chairman.......wish us luck? Please! :)
Eh....2012 version......County final day Sunday.....our 10th in-a-row, playing our oldest bitterest rivals Carnew.....and my second as Chairman.......going for 3-in-a-row............wish us luck? Please!
In a word.......yes!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Bittersweet weekend, our Intermediates won the county title on Saturday after losing the last two finals but our seniors go down to Oliver Plunketts/Eoghan Rua from Dublin on a 15 points to 10 scoreline yesterday in the Leinster IHC.

Still, two titles already this year with the minors still to come.........not too shabby for a small village.