Glasgow Celtic win League!

Post by Leinster Exile »

Not quite but more or less. This is mad stuff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-17015966
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Glasgow Celtic win League!

Post by tackle-bag »

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. Really do hope they go out of business. Rangers F.C. has been, throughout its history, a bastion of bigotry and has been guilty of policies and prejudices far beyond anything its great rivals have ever resorted to. There are plenty of unsavoury characters within both sets of supporters but, as an institution, there is no doubting that Rangers is far worse.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

With regards to the title who really actually cares? In European let alone world football it's up there with the Kazakstani League...

It's 26+ seasons since anyone other than the O.F. won the title, and 97 of all 114 Scottish titles have resided in Glasgow...

May have interested me about thirty years ago when there were remote chances of the likes of Aberdeen/Dundee United winning the odd title. Now if they end the season within thirty points of the Old Firm it's a competitive league...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Sh1t. I read it as Glasgow win Celtic League. :roll:
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

The title was tongue in cheek and I was hoping we could stick to point which is a huge football club is on its knees. It will have a catastrophic effect on the league (revenues etc) including Celtic.
Its a crazy situation , imagine if Man U or Bayern faced extinction from their respective leagues
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Leinster Exile wrote:The title was tongue in cheek and I was hoping we could stick to point which is a huge football club is on its knees. It will have a catastrophic effect on the league (revenues etc) including Celtic.
Its a crazy situation , imagine if Man U or Bayern faced extinction from their respective leagues
Must disagree with your comparison to UTD or BM in their respective leagues.
More like taking Leinster, Munster, ulster and Cardiff out of the Rabo.

In the list of who this is bad for I would suggest Celtic are second behind the protagonists themselves.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

Leinster Exile wrote:The title was tongue in cheek and I was hoping we could stick to point which is a huge football club is on its knees. It will have a catastrophic effect on the league (revenues etc) including Celtic.
there's no question at all of Rangers disappearing altogether - typical lack of understanding of anything to do with business by the BBC and much of the rest of the British press. It looks like a fairly typical restructuring negotiation, where HMRC were banking on Whyte being unwilling to appoint administrators (to avoid losing points for Rangers) - but Whyte has done so, what happens next is likely to be a pre-pack or similar compromise, HMRC get feck-all as an unsecured creditor, Rangers carry on, the only question is how many points they get docked..
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

darkside lighteside wrote:
there's no question at all of Rangers disappearing altogether - typical lack of understanding of anything to do with business by the BBC and much of the rest of the British press. It looks like a fairly typical restructuring negotiation, where HMRC were banking on Whyte being unwilling to appoint administrators (to avoid losing points for Rangers) - but Whyte has done so, what happens next is likely to be a pre-pack or similar compromise, HMRC get feck-all as an unsecured creditor, Rangers carry on, the only question is how many points they get docked..
I thought if the HMRC decision went against them then they would be uber fcked ? Possibly 75 million sterling owed if found guilty ?
I agree though I would have thought the idea of them disappearing entirely would be unlikely
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

My understanding of the legal position is that HMRC occupy the same status under the UK law of administration as the Revenue Commissioners do here in the context of examinership i.e. they are super-preferential creditors, far from being in the unsecured group at the bottom of the pile. However, that is not to say that the liability to HMRC cannot be "crammed down" by the Court as part of a scheme of arrangement, just as the liability to the Revenue Commissioners could be here. I would assume that a Scottish Court would be loathe to force HMRC to accept a fraction of what they are owed, particularly if it emerges that there have been questionable financial practices at Rangers F.C., which seems inevitable. In other words, it's quite possible that they will go out of business and I, for one, hope to God that they do so.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Sea_point wrote:With regards to the title who really actually cares? In European let alone world football it's up there with the Kazakstani League...

It's 26+ seasons since anyone other than the O.F. won the title, and 97 of all 114 Scottish titles have resided in Glasgow...

May have interested me about thirty years ago when there were remote chances of the likes of Aberdeen/Dundee United winning the odd title. Now if they end the season within thirty points of the Old Firm it's a competitive league...
It got, 'briefly', interesting a few years ago when Hearts finished above Rangers into second place. Sadly, to answer your original question, it still seems a lot of people. I was once told by a shithead that "you're not if you don't support Celtic." I also walked into a bar in Seoul's foreign district last Saturday that was jam packed with Celtic fans. It was hilarious watching Korean lads trying to perfect a Scottish accent singing the Field's of Athenry.

What pisses me off most about the OF games is listening to Ian Crocker and Davie Proven sell it on Sky, and to a lesser extend the studio presenter (can't remember his name). Crocker doesn't even bother going through the theasuras anymore. He'll use the same words and expressions every time. This became tiring 10 years ago. 4 games a season for Crocker to wet his pants over a pretty ordinary set of fixtures.
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

tackle-bag wrote:
My understanding of the legal position is that HMRC occupy the same status under the UK law of administration as the Revenue Commissioners do here in the context of examinership i.e. they are super-preferential creditors, far from being in the unsecured group at the bottom of the pile. However, that is not to say that the liability to HMRC cannot be "crammed down" by the Court as part of a scheme of arrangement, just as the liability to the Revenue Commissioners could be here. I would assume that a Scottish Court would be loathe to force HMRC to accept a fraction of what they are owed, particularly if it emerges that there have been questionable financial practices at Rangers F.C., which seems inevitable. In other words, it's quite possible that they will go out of business and I, for one, hope to God that they do so.
no since 2003 HMRC hasn't been a 'preferential creditor' in insolvency proceedings in the UK. It's hard to know from the outside, not knowing the parties involved etc, because every restructuring is very different, but I would guess that HMRC believed that Whyte wouldn't file the company, because of the risk of losing points, and were probably playing hardball - Whyte then called their bluff and appointed..
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.