Rory McIlroy

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Rory McIlroy

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Congragulations young man, World number 1.

Incredible feat at such a young age.
3 Gold Stars
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Re: Rory McIlroy

Post by ellandleinster »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Congragulations young man, World number 1.

+ 1 as the current fashion seems to put it. World no 1 only means something IMO if you have a major under your belt which he has and here's hoping for the Master's in a few weeks.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

ellandleinster wrote:

+ 1 as the current fashion seems to put it. World no 1 only means something IMO if you have a major under your belt which he has and here's hoping for the Master's in a few weeks.

Yes, completely agree with that sentiment. Deep down Donald and Westwood, who are imperious golfers would dearly love a major to back up their #1 position. A quirk of the rankings in that it awards consistency week in week out.

Really looking forward to McIlroy competing at Augusta National this year after last years disaster. He loves the course but crucially it suits his eye.
3 Gold Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
ellandleinster wrote:

Yes, completely agree with that sentiment. Deep down Donald and Westwood, who are imperious golfers would dearly love a major to back up their #1 position. A quirk of the rankings in that it awards consistency week in week out.

Really looking forward to McIlroy competing at Augusta National this year after last years disaster. He loves the course but crucially it suits his eye.
Not big on golf, but what does that mean?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Peg Leg wrote: Not big on golf, but what does that mean?
Donald & Westwood got to World number 1 without winning a Major championship, the benchmark for 'greatness' in Golf. (notwithstanding the fact Majors have been won by so called average golfers from time to time). They got to be World #1 by being fabulously consistent as opposed to winning one of the big 4 Majors.
Purists believe World #1 should have all the attributes that are required to win a Major. As it stands one can get to that position be being consistent week in week out. Some would say it devalues the rankings.
3 Gold Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Donald & Westwood got to World number 1 without winning a Major championship, the benchmark for 'greatness' in Golf. (notwithstanding the fact Majors have been won by so called average golfers from time to time). They got to be World #1 by being fabulously consistent as opposed to winning one of the big 4 Majors.
Purists believe World #1 should have all the attributes that are required to win a Major. As it stands one can get to that position be being consistent week in week out. Some would say it devalues the rankings.
Thanks SB- I got that bit. I meant the bit in bold...... "suits his eye"?
Daniel Sullivan
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Peg Leg wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Thanks SB- I got that bit. I meant the bit in bold...... "suits his eye"?

Sorry pegleg missed that bold bit.

Suits his eye means he is extremely comfortable off the tee and from the fairway. When he looks down the fairway he has a clarity of thought of how he wants to hit it and where he wants to put it. He only sees his ball on the fairway/green.
Some golfers do better on some courses and terrible on others thats down to how comfortable they are with the layout & shape of the course(and their form).
Augusta National is such a course for him. Congressional is another where he smashed all US open records for a total of -16 under par. Incredible scoring for a US open. That course was manna from heaven to him.
Harrington for example hates Wentworth, he has stated his dislike of it and this is down to his line of sight and perspective off the tee. Hence why he has it out of bounds so many times on that course off the tee and from the fairway. He tends to avoid playing it.
3 Gold Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thanks SB
Daniel Sullivan
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
ellandleinster wrote:

was going to post that losing the no1 spot has improved imo Donald's chance of winning a major.....

back to back victories for Rose and Donald on the US tour shows how strong English golf is currently. And I think we are in for an amazing Masters.
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

McIlroy has been to busy with his girl friend and has consequently lost the number 1 spot cause he was shopping, and I expect him to not be at the races for the Masters...
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

For some reason in this year's masters its hard to see past anymore than a handful of guys, young Rory,for me being on top of it all.

An intriguing battle ahead.

Rory in the masters and Leinster -12. Might be of interest.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Harrington wins the Par 3 contest for the 3rd time :lol:
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Rors might have one less to worry about if TW keeps going in the fashion that he's playing at the minute.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ror wrote:McIlroy has been to busy with his girl friend and has consequently lost the number 1 spot cause he was shopping, and I expect him to not be at the races for the Masters...
Anyone else find it slightly ironic that 'ror' hates 'rors'? :D

Is it a territory thing over the name? :wink:

Anyway fair f**ks to him for putting himself back into contention today. That putt to save par at the 18th took real balls. Sets up tomorrow beautifully for our post match entertainment in the Ho Sho. :D
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

ror wrote:McIlroy has been to busy with his girl friend and has consequently lost the number 1 spot cause he was shopping, and I expect him to not be at the races for the Masters...
can you please PM me in future marked urgent with these hot tips. :cry:
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

The poor lad is all loved up. Bet he will be tweeting he is off to Monaco for the grand prix and looking forward to seeing his bird.
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Poor caroline lost in the french open yesterday and
Blamed a poor linecall.

Former world number one in womens tennis is now
ranked nine in world.

Watch out our rory who has now missed three cuts in a
row and is in freefall
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

madridlion wrote:Poor caroline lost in the french open yesterday and
Blamed a poor linecall.

Former world number one in womens tennis is now
ranked nine in world.

Watch out our rory who has now missed three cuts in a
row and is in freefall

Hope it's worth the ride :D
3 Gold Stars
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Whachooreckon?
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

She's all right I suppose :mrgreen:

but whatever. rory needs to get his act together and I have to say his new Dublin management firm do not appear to be helping him focus on what should be his priorities.