Rory McIlroy

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Re: Rory McIlroy

Post by Ulster's Best »

Nothing confusing about it, SB.

I am British (Irish) the way some people are British (Scottish). There are a range of identities within the UK and Irish is one of them. Like Irish people living in Great Britain, I am happy to be a UK citizen but proud of my Irish identity. And just as there is clearly more than one form or Britishness, likewise there are multiple forms of Irishness - all of which are equally valid. It may not suit the agenda of fundamentalists like yourself but I will happily continue to feel an association with big UK occasions like the hosting of the Olympics or the Queen's Jubliee AND strongly support my county in gaelic football. And feel fully comfortable doing so.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Ulster's Best wrote:Nothing confusing about it, SB.

I am British (Irish) the way some people are British (Scottish). There are a range of identities within the UK and Irish is one of them. Like Irish people living in Great Britain, I am happy to be a UK citizen but proud of my Irish identity. And just as there is clearly more than one form or Britishness, likewise there are multiple forms of Irishness - all of which are equally valid. It may not suit the agenda of fundamentalists like yourself but I will happily continue to feel an association with big UK occasions like the hosting of the Olympics or the Queen's Jubliee AND strongly support my county in gaelic football. And feel fully comfortable doing so.

I can understand a Northern Irish person "feeling" British, but unlike Scotland, NI is not in Britain. hence the name of the country: The UK of GB & NI. So whilst they may feel British they are, in fact, UK citizens (or Irish citizens if they choose) from NI. So they can refer to themselves as they wish, but to be correct their choice is UK, Northern Irish or Irish. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

The funny thing about all this is that it matters not a whit. Why would anyone care whether a NI guy feels British and competes for the UK as is his right? There will be disappointment that a quality player like McIlroy may play against Ireland, rather than for...but at the end of the day that's his choice. If he feels British, he should play for the UK team (alias 'Team GB')....
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

deco wrote:

I can understand a Northern Irish person "feeling" British, but unlike Scotland, NI is not in Britain. hence the name of the country: The UK of GB & NI. So whilst they may feel British they are, in fact, UK citizens (or Irish citizens if they choose) from NI. So they can refer to themselves as they wish, but to be correct their choice is UK, Northern Irish or Irish. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of it.

The funny thing about all this is that it matters not a whit. Why would anyone care whether a NI guy feels British and competes for the UK as is his right? There will be disappointment that a quality player like McIlroy may play against Ireland, rather than for...but at the end of the day that's his choice. If he feels British, he should play for the UK team (alias 'Team GB')....

DEco, my understanding is that citizens of the UK qualify for the designation of Britishness (I've never heard the work UKishness in fairness). Bit technical but we know what we mean.

Olympics is a strange one for people in NI - think athletes can readily belong to either team regardless of personal allegiances or view on the constitutional issue though for various reasons it is more likely a unionist in NI will represent Ireland than a nationalist in NI represent Team GB (ie UK).

Obviously in rugby, unionists automatically reprsent Irealnd and I feel nationalists should do likewise with NI in football - ie it is the team intended to reprsent the piiece of earth thay come from.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: And you are obviously unaware that the picture you refer to has been proved as a fake/set-up?
Really? How was it set up?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

I am British (Irish) the way some people are British (Scottish). There are a range of identities within the UK and Irish is one of them. Like Irish people living in Great Britain, I am happy to be a UK citizen but proud of my Irish identity. And just as there is clearly more than one form or Britishness, likewise there are multiple forms of Irishness - all of which are equally valid.
Point taken.

Fair enough, don't agree but see where you are coming from UB.
Ulsters Best wrote: It may not suit the agenda of fundamentalists like yourself
GTF, you don't do irony up North :lol: . Where you come from, your politics and creed etc, I think it is a bit rich to call me 'fundamentalist' when your 'community' has given/spawned such paragons of virtue as : George Seawright, Reverend(ahem)Willy 'singing' McRea, Reverend(ahem)Ian Paisley, Brigadier(ahem ahem)Billy Wright, Lenny Murphy & Co, Mad Mutt Johnny Adair and arch loon Michael Stone to name but a few.

'Fundamentalist' in a Norn Iron' context is quite absurb when countenanced by an Irishman.

Ulsters best wrote: but I will happily continue to feel an association with big UK occasions like the hosting of the Olympics or the Queen's Jubliee AND strongly support my county in gaelic football. And feel fully comfortable doing so.
Fair point.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

jrc wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote: And you are obviously unaware that the picture you refer to has been proved as a fake/set-up?
Really? How was it set up?
The picture was supposedly photoshopped to show the goon in a Celtic jersey holding a placard he never held. He was holding another inflammatory banner i.e rule ban on something or other to do with RUC and GAA.
Apparently another protester was holding the now infamous placard and this was doctored onto the 'Celtic Jersey' wearing protester.

Will post the photo later, when i locate it.
3 Gold Stars
Ray Mc
Learner

Post by Ray Mc »

Sorry SB, but you are wrong. Saw the guy and his poster myself.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ray Mc wrote:Sorry SB, but you are wrong. Saw the guy and his poster myself.
The photo might have been photoshopped, but I'm with Ray Mc. I saw a guy in a Celtic top as part of the protest (which was tiny, a small stag party would be far more noticeable) holding a placard.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:
Ray Mc wrote:Sorry SB, but you are wrong. Saw the guy and his poster myself.
The photo might have been photoshopped, but I'm with Ray Mc. I saw a guy in a Celtic top as part of the protest (which was tiny, a small stag party would be far more noticeable) holding a placard.
There is some doubt over the veracity of the picture, there was a fair bit of discussion on the matter on a couple of Irish design forums at the time for example and indymedia did a piece on it too. Inconclusive is the best conclusion that was arrived at! The sign was definitely there, its on a number of different pictures from a number of photographers. The chap in the Celtic was definitely there too as part of the protest, hes also in a number of pictures from multiple sources holding a 'Restore Rule 42' placard and all the reports agree that placards were being traded between holders. The problem is that there is only one shot of the guy in the celtic shirt holding the sign in question, and no one has seen a hi-res version of it as far as I'm aware.

That someone wearing a full set of kit from a foreign soccer team would be part of a protest against Irish rugby teams playing in Croke Park holding the sign he was definitely holding is a ridiculous concept in and of itself, the cake didn't need over-egging if this is what happened
I have Bumbleflex
Ray Mc
Learner

Post by Ray Mc »

Defo carrying it when I and some friends saw it. We were on our way into the ground quite early. As Ronk said only a handful of people protesting. Anyway it is a good few years ago now, and the guy in question could have a chip on his shoulder about rugby. (apart from his other chips!)