Tardiness worse than racism!

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Tardiness worse than racism!

Post by limecat »

Manchester City are furious with UEFA for fining them £25,000 for being late onto the pitch for a Europa League tie.

City are amazed the penalty imposed on them, for being no more than a minute late onto the pitch at Sporting Lisbon, is more than Porto were fined for their fans' racist chants towards Mario Balotelli.

Porto were fined just £17,600 by UEFA after City striker Balotelli was subjected to monkey chants from some sections of fans at the Estadio Do Dragao ground in the last 32 tie on February 16.

City made a formal complaint to UEFA in the wake of the episode, with the Portuguese club being hit with the paltry fine, which amounted to little more than a rap across the knuckles.

Now City officials are said to be "bemused" that they have been fined more than Porto, after their players were late onto the pitch for the second-half of their last 16 tie in Lisbon on March 8.

UEFA today confirmed the fine imposed on City, by their control and disciplinary committee, for "a late kick-off", but refused to comment on why the penalty was more than Porto received for their fans making racist taunts.

Source: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ma ... 89274.html
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Tardiness worse than racism!

Post by jezzer »

Interestingly I just read another soprts-related story with an identical theme.

The radio station that cover the Miami Dolphins has just fired it's sports host for getting a DUI and turning up late, in favour of a journalist recently fired from another station for calling 3 black athletes "monkeys"!

I'm really going to have to brush up on my timekeeping!!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

jezzer wrote:Interestingly I just read another soprts-related story with an identical theme.

The radio station that cover the Miami Dolphins has just fired it's sports host for getting a DUI and turning up late, in favour of a journalist recently fired from another station for calling 3 black athletes "monkeys"!

I'm really going to have to brush up on my timekeeping!!
Well it is Florida . Those athletes can count themselves lucky they were called monkeys and didn't try walking to shops or other such threatening behaviour
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Dealing with racial prejudice may be less important than time-keeping, but I think we all know of at least one aspect of life to which punctuality is a distant second:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32YCTsKKljE
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent