The Olympics Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

The Olympics Thread

Post by Amz »

I figured, since the Games are almost upon us, it might be time to start a new thread. (I'm also quite bored and the forum is quiet).

What sports/events are people most looking forward to?

Is anyone going to London for the games, or for any of the events?

Any athlete(s) in particular you think we should be looking out for and why?

I love The Olympics, I'm so glad to have them at normal time of the day this year. I'm most looking forward to the Triathlon, the rowing, the swimming and the track cycling, I guess the track and field events are up there too. Wasn't lucky enough to get tickets for anything, but if I win the lotto between now and August 4th I'll pop over to Hyde park for the Triathlon.

Looking forward to seeing the Brownlee brothers in action in the Triathlon, both super nice guys and if Alistair doesn't win a gold I'll be shocked. He's been in super form since coming back from an Athilles tendon injury and it's his to lose. Ireland's Aileen Morrisson could do quite well in the Tri too, but don't think she'll medal, although anything is possible on the day. If she gets a top ten finish that'll be super. Expect Helen Jenkins to dominate the women's event.

Also can't wait for the battle between Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte in the swimming. They were so close at the US swim trials recently that it's probably going to be quite exciting (probably mostly for swim fans).

Haven't been keeping as up to date with athletics as I normally would, but look forward to the heptathlon, always wanted to compete in that event, but getting closer to 30 and probably only likely to get into competitive eating at this stage :)
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Olympics Thread

Post by Hornet »

Off to London next Thursday. Will be watching the Mens and Womens cycling road races and time trials. (Can watch for free :D ). Will be rooting primarily for Roche, Cav and Wiggins. Would be something else if Cav can win the final stage this weekend in Paris in the Tour de France and then the Olympic Gold. (Soft spot for the Manx people. Get looked after well at the TT). And Wiggins to win the Time Trial after picking up the Maillot Jaune in Paris would be some going
for the Kilburn Mod! As for the cost of getting there, well I picked up a flight to Luton for €16.99 and a flight back from Gatwick for €35 a couple of weeks ago, plus having plenty of family and friends places to crash out in, it's working out cheaper than the HEC final in Twickenham did!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Hopping the ferry from Rosslare on the 29th and driving across to London. Taking two weeks to get there and back overnighting in various towns and cities to see some of England so the cost is very low. We'll only actually be in London on day trips for events. The whole trip is timed around the quarter and semi finals of the women's boxing which we have tickets for. Katie will definitely be fighting the first day and all going well the second day too. Aside from her I'm looking forward to seeing the three British boxers and India's Mary Kom in action but that will depend on results and Mrs. Wing's patience.

From an Irish medals point of view, aside from Katie obviously, JJ Nevin is in with a very good shot but realistically a decent draw could see any of the Irish boxers coming home with a medal. In Athletics I'd be keeping an eye on Ciarán Ó Lionáird, Fionnula Britton and Rob Heffernan. Annalise Murphy in the women's laser and Aileen Morrison in the triathlon could surprise us as could Lisa Kearney in the Judo.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I just applied for tickets in the Ballot and got two for one evening of swimming events which includes Mens 100m Freestyle Final; Mens 200m Breaststroke Final and Womens 200m Butterfly Final as well as several other semi final events. Really looking forward to going.
Four Stars
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

anybody have a link to a calendar to what events on each day, which events on each session? Stuggling to find one
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

ribs wrote:anybody have a link to a calendar to what events on each day, which events on each session? Stuggling to find one
http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/
Click on the dates and/or on any coloured square for the individual disciplines.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I don't know half of what is even going on at this, but you can rest assured of one thing:
It will be wall to wall Olympics on the TV in my house, I will randomly pick athletes to support based on their sports wear colour, commentators anecdotes, underdogness and Irishness!
Can't wait!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Hornet wrote:
ribs wrote:anybody have a link to a calendar to what events on each day, which events on each session? Stuggling to find one
http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/
Click on the dates and/or on any coloured square for the individual disciplines.
Excellent -really helpful. Women's marathon, then Women's boxing quarter finals for me, then free view mens tri the next day.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I'm heading over to the UK on hols for a week and taking in a bit of the Olympics along the way.

Tickets for 3 day eventing cross country stage, 1st round of table tennis, 1st round of men's 100m (Usain Bolt) and 400m (Oscar Pistorius - blade runner) and women's marathon in London - and also heading to Cardiff for some football in the Millennium Stadium.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Ooh, I like the cross country part of the eventing. *jealous*
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

I'm doing the road race next Saturday - I paid £10 to go to Box Hill and watch the end of it. Sure you can see it for free and I did just than when the TdeF came to England a few years ago, but after a few seconds, everyone has gone passed! I'm also going to Hampton Court for the road race (so I'm doing the time trial and the road race) and again I've spent £10, so I can see the finish, there are big screens and it should be fantastic.

I've got tickets for the swimming, though can't remember which one, then tickets for the paralympic cycling (I wanted to go to the Velodrome) and also paralympic athletics.

Finally, the torch relay is coming to my road next week :D Once I've seen it, I'm off to Tooting Common as there's a big (free!) event there and there are a few bands, the torch will also make an appearance and a cauldron will be lit.

I am VERY excited about the next month - 6 weeks of sport :D

And once it's all over, the rugby season starts again!!!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

claire_m wrote:Finally, the torch relay is coming to my road next week
Shane Horgan took the torch pretty much past my office. I went out to the handover point and got a photo with me, him and the (unlit) torch while he was waiting.

Giddy like a schoolgirl I was.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I'm also going to watch the cycling road race next Saturday... probably in Richmond Park. In reality this will mean a peloton whizzing past in about 0.00001 seconds and that will be it.

Then beach volleyball in Horseguards Parade. Kick-off (or whatever they call it in volleyball) is at 8pm so time for a few drinks beforehand. I have tickets for one evening at the athletics stadium - mens 110m hurdles final is probably the pick of the events that evening and 200m semis are on as well, so we should see Usain Bolt.

Also wheelchair rugby final in the Paralympics.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

mikerob wrote:I'm also going to watch the cycling road race next Saturday... probably in Richmond Park. In reality this will mean a peloton whizzing past in about 0.00001 seconds and that will be it.
Will be in Richmond Park as well. Of course you get two chances of them whizzing by, on the outward and return. Might even be a breakaway both ways. Rather have the chance to pick my own spot to watch, and there will be less chance of having to interact with the knuckle scraping security gestapo that G4S seem to have (not) employed.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Hornet wrote:
mikerob wrote:I'm also going to watch the cycling road race next Saturday... probably in Richmond Park. In reality this will mean a peloton whizzing past in about 0.00001 seconds and that will be it.
Will be in Richmond Park as well. Of course you get two chances of them whizzing by, on the outward and return. Might even be a breakaway both ways. Rather have the chance to pick my own spot to watch, and there will be less chance of having to interact with the knuckle scraping security gestapo that G4S seem to have (not) employed.
...however they are doing about 150 miles between going out and coming back, and fast as they are, I'm not sure I will stick around waiting in the park itself.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Broken Wing wrote: Shane Horgan took the torch pretty much past my office. I went out to the handover point and got a photo with me, him and the (unlit) torch while he was waiting.

Giddy like a schoolgirl I was.
That's really cool - I would have loved to have been able to get off work to see him doing his bit in the torch relay. Finding him on your doorstep is quite a result!
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

mikerob wrote:
Hornet wrote:
...however they are doing about 150 miles between going out and coming back, and fast as they are, I'm not sure I will stick around waiting in the park itself.
Du pain, du vin, du Boursin, and then a bit of deer culling before they come back. (Fancy a bit of venison for me dinner). :mrgreen:
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Awesome - I'll be supporting this girl.... 8)

http://www.101greatgoals.com/other-spor ... barcelona/
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The wait is over.

The opening event of the London 2012 Olympics takes place today at 4 in Millennium Stadium Cardiff.
Pro 12 Champions 14!