The Open Championship 2012

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Mackman15
Mullet

The Open Championship 2012

Post by Mackman15 »

Right, where's the wisdom this year.
Bearing in mind the conditions it looks like a considerable amount of patience will be required to get through the week.
For all of Padraig's form of late it will be interesting to see can he apply his 'prefer playing in majors' logic to the one that he's most logically and likely to have more competitive advantage simply on the amount of links golf under his belt.

Time for Rory to start applying himself but I would favour GMAC of the four northern lads.
Hope Dunbar can get the silver medal. I gather there's only two AM's in the field. Best of luck to him.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Open Championship 2012

Post by tackle-bag »

Paul Lawrie might be a decent outside bet, for a place at least. He's at 100/1 with some bookies. He's generally great in sh!te weather, plays well on links courses, is a former champion and has excellent form on the European Tour.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

tackle-bag wrote:Paul Lawrie might be a decent outside bet, for a place at least. He's at 100/1 with some bookies. He's generally great in sh!te weather, plays well on links courses, is a former champion and has excellent form on the European Tour.
Going very well at the moment
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

tackle-bag wrote:Paul Lawrie might be a decent outside bet, for a place at least. He's at 100/1 with some bookies. He's generally great in sh!te weather, plays well on links courses, is a former champion and has excellent form on the European Tour.
Excellent shout, no matter how he fares in the end.

I remember working in PP on the eve of the British Open in 2009 and one of the lads was banging on about Tom Watson. We thought he was a daft aul tw@t. Turns out he, as he put a € on Watson to win at 600/1 (or whatever he was, could have been the joint biggest outsider at 1000s) instead of going e/w.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

suisse wrote:
Excellent shout, no matter how he fares in the end.
Cheers, I also have Els (50/1 on Betfair), McDowell (40/1 on Betfair) and Harrington (25/1 on Betfair) so it has been a good morning all round!
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

tackle-bag wrote:I also have Els (50/1 on Betfair)
:clap:

E/W or straight win

How much if you don't mind me asking? Well done Sir.

Cracking predictions. GMD making the final group (depsite a sh!t day 4) and Els winning.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

tackle-bag wrote: Cheers, I also have Els (50/1 on Betfair), McDowell (40/1 on Betfair)
Excellent punting tackle bag :clap:
3 Gold Stars
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I had each of them to win and also to come in the top 10 so a tidy enough return overall. Unbelievably I've actually won money on all three majors this year so far, but I'll need another 10 years of that to recoup the money I hemmorhaged over the previous decade!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

tackle-bag wrote:I had each of them to win and also to come in the top 10 so a tidy enough return overall. Unbelievably I've actually won money on all three majors this year so far, but I'll need another 10 years of that to recoup the money I hemmorhaged over the previous decade!
Yeah I had to stop gambling too after a while. Kauto Star losing out to Denman lost me a fortune, as did Scotland not closing out the deal against England in the 2011 RWC. Those two random races and games are the biggest factor I don't bet any more (for now).