"That" Tackle

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

"That" Tackle

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: His performance was patethic for a so called 'top' referee. The game changed when he decided to send off a player who made a good tackle against a player who went in with 2 feet off the ground and studs showing. Why wasn't he sent off?
That's simply not true though. Shelvey's tackle was awful and he deserved to go. He even admitted it himself and said that he knew it was wrong but given the massive occasion he couldn't pull out of the tackle. It was wreckless and he went studs up over the ball, don't know how you can't see that.

I don't disagree that Evans' tackle was bad though. I can't decide if it was a yellow or a red because he actually got the ball cleanly but his other foot was dangerous despite it not being aimed at Shelvey. I'd have had no complaints if he'd been sent off but think I'd have gone for a yellow.

Agree with you on the penalty though, don't think it was one.

Overall we were absolutely blessed to win the game and I'm still not sure how we did.

I suggest that you look for an improvement in your finishing rather than blaming the referee though. You were still well in the game and it's not his fault you didn't take your chances.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Liverpool Thread

Post by suisse »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I suggest that you look for an improvement in your finishing rather than blaming the referee though. You were still well in the game and it's not his fault you didn't take your chances.

SB likes the word 'FACT' so here's a few more.

On possession:
The statistics are well known and hard to comprehend; Liverpool finished eighth, their worst finish in over half a century, and yet in the top five leagues in Europe only Barcelona had a greater proportion of their play in the attacking third of the pitch.
On shooting:
In 33 of 38 league games Liverpool had more shots than their opponents. In a table of shots on goal in league games, Liverpool were fourth.
They missed five of their six penalties and hit the woodwork a total of 33 times; had even half of those attempts gone in Liverpool would have finished the season with the third best goal difference.
Last season Liverpool converted only 9.13% of their chances, the lowest figure since Opta began producing its reports
It had been 13.59% the previous season but then Liverpool managed just 11.4 shots per game. When Liverpool finished second in 2008-09, they had 15.1 shots per game and converted 13.46% of their chances
This season's figure is far worse: a meagre 5.97%.
On tackling:
But Liverpool have won only 48.11% of duels this season as opposed to 53.17% last
On Jose Reina:
For seven seasons his save percentage hovered between 69% (last season) and 75% (2008-09)
this season it stands at 44%
Again, it's early, but when you consider that of the six mistakes that Opta categorise as "leading to a goal" he has committed at Liverpool, five have come since the start of last season, the impression is confirmed of a keeper suffering a sustained spell of indifferent form.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... -bad-start
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: His performance was patethic for a so called 'top' referee. The game changed when he decided to send off a player who made a good tackle against a player who went in with 2 feet off the ground and studs showing. Why wasn't he sent off?
Lerouxisphat wrote: That's simply not true though. Shelvey's tackle was awful and he deserved to go. He even admitted it himself and said that he knew it was wrong but given the massive occasion he couldn't pull out of the tackle. It was wreckless and he went studs up over the ball, don't know how you can't see that.
SB wrote: Er, this shows it is true http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http ... A&dur=1561

and could you also point out where Shelvey said in relation to the tackle he "...deserved to go".. and also .."he was wrong".

Stop making things up. He never said anything remotely like that.
LeRouxisphat wrote: I suggest that you look for an improvement in your finishing rather than blaming the referee though. You were still well in the game and it's not his fault you didn't take your chances.
Sauvignon Blank wrote: There is plenty wrong with Liverpool FC, the team at present. Our problems are well documented, and no decent striker alongside Luis is a major c~*k up on FSG's part, however, when you line up against another team the very least one can and should expect is a referee that knows his arse from his elbow.

Wrongly put down to 10 men
Dodgy decision for ManU which lead to the winning goal
VanPersie left on pitch for Red card offense.
Clear penalty denied to Liverpool.

Kind of blows a hole in your theory of 'not taking your chances' don't you think. We weren't allowed any.
This blundering fuckwit cost Liverpool the game and to think otherwise is utter folly.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

suisse wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I suggest that you look for an improvement in your finishing rather than blaming the referee though. You were still well in the game and it's not his fault you didn't take your chances.

SB likes the word 'FACT' so here's a few more.

On possession:
The statistics are well known and hard to comprehend; Liverpool finished eighth, their worst finish in over half a century, and yet in the top five leagues in Europe only Barcelona had a greater proportion of their play in the attacking third of the pitch.
On shooting:
In 33 of 38 league games Liverpool had more shots than their opponents. In a table of shots on goal in league games, Liverpool were fourth.
They missed five of their six penalties and hit the woodwork a total of 33 times; had even half of those attempts gone in Liverpool would have finished the season with the third best goal difference.
Last season Liverpool converted only 9.13% of their chances, the lowest figure since Opta began producing its reports
It had been 13.59% the previous season but then Liverpool managed just 11.4 shots per game. When Liverpool finished second in 2008-09, they had 15.1 shots per game and converted 13.46% of their chances
This season's figure is far worse: a meagre 5.97%.
On tackling:
But Liverpool have won only 48.11% of duels this season as opposed to 53.17% last
On Jose Reina:
For seven seasons his save percentage hovered between 69% (last season) and 75% (2008-09)
this season it stands at 44%
Again, it's early, but when you consider that of the six mistakes that Opta categorise as "leading to a goal" he has committed at Liverpool, five have come since the start of last season, the impression is confirmed of a keeper suffering a sustained spell of indifferent form.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... -bad-start

I actually watch Liverpool play football and can deduce from having watched them play football that in FACT, there are things that they are ...

1. Not doing right
2. Things they are doing wrong
3. Doing things they don't normally do in the manner they are currently doing
4. Doing things that are being punished ruthlessly
5. Doing good things that are not getting rewarded
6. Having players who are woefully off form i.e Reina & Gerrard
7. Being on the recieving end of shambolic refereeing decisions
8. Generally not getting the 'rub of the green' as Brendan Rogers would opine.

Is this what your Blog is trying to articulate?

You may choose to retreat into statistics and blogs, I prefer to make my own judgements based on what I see.
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:You may choose to retreat into statistics and blogs, I prefer to make my own judgements based on what I see.
Ha brilliant.
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

That picture of Shelvey shows the moment of impact, of course one of his feet are on the ground, he can't stay in the air forever, it was a red, end of. If Evans had caught Shelvey the way Shelvey caught him he'd have been the one walking.
On the penalty, the long camera shows Johnson clip Valencias leg just before he tries to shoot, he goes down a bit easy for my liking but a penno nonetheless. Suarez would have got his penno if he didn't have a reputation as a diver (like Ronaldo at United, needed tO have his legs cut in two to get a penno at times)

It's a bit precious of you SB, saying Liverpool fans never sing about Munich or do Airplane impressions at the United fans.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Metal wrote:That picture of Shelvey shows the moment of impact, of course one of his feet are on the ground, he can't stay in the air forever, it was a red, end of. If Evans had caught Shelvey the way Shelvey caught him he'd have been the one walking.
On the penalty, the long camera shows Johnson clip Valencias leg just before he tries to shoot, he goes down a bit easy for my liking but a penno nonetheless. Suarez would have got his penno if he didn't have a reputation as a diver (like Ronaldo at United, needed tO have his legs cut in two to get a penno at times)

It's a bit precious of you SB, saying Liverpool fans never sing about Munich or do Airplane impressions at the United fans.
:lol:
3 Gold Stars
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Metal wrote: of course one of his feet are on the ground, he can't stay in the air forever, it was a red, end of.

Your thoughts on this then? Red?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8310/8015 ... 51aa_o.gif
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Lerouxisphat wrote: That's simply not true though. Shelvey's tackle was awful and he deserved to go. He even admitted it himself and said that he knew it was wrong but given the massive occasion he couldn't pull out of the tackle. It was wreckless and he went studs up over the ball, don't know how you can't see that.
SB wrote: Er, this shows it is true http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http ... A&dur=1561

and could you also point out where Shelvey said in relation to the tackle he "...deserved to go".. and also .."he was wrong".

Wow that really p*ssed me off. I'm hardly an unreasonable poster on here am I? If I say something like that then you can take it as fact.

I can't link you to his twitter because it's blocked in work but this is a direct quote of his tweet after the game.

"I apologise to the fans for getting sent off but no way was I pulling out of that tackle in a game of that importance. Sorry"

He also retweeted a tweet by someone else which said...

"If he stayed on his feet he would be out for 6 months with a broken leg".

I'd like an apology please, I don't appreciate you saying that I made stuff up. You should probably also admit that you were wrong.
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Metal wrote: of course one of his feet are on the ground, he can't stay in the air forever, it was a red, end of.

Your thoughts on this then? Red?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8310/8015 ... 51aa_o.gif
Yeah, called him a f@:kin idiot when he did it. Thought he was blessed to stay on the pitch!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Wow that really p*ssed me off. I'm hardly an unreasonable poster on here am I? If I say something like that then you can take it as fact.

I can't link you to his twitter because it's blocked in work but this is a direct quote of his tweet after the game.

"I apologise to the fans for getting sent off but no way was I pulling out of that tackle in a game of that importance. Sorry"

He also retweeted a tweet by someone else which said...

"If he stayed on his feet he would be out for 6 months with a broken leg".

I'd like an apology please, I don't appreciate you saying that I made stuff up. You should probably also admit that you were wrong.

Apology for what exactly? You said Shelvey apologised for 'a tackle', he did nothing of the sort.

I would appreciate if you could (at 2nd time of asking no less) point out where exactly did Shelvey APOLOGISE for THE TACKLE?

The only thing he apologised for(to the fans) was for getting sent off and for giving Slur Alex stick when going off.

Where and when does he say or admit to it being a bad tackle?
3 Gold Stars
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Metal wrote:That picture of Shelvey shows the moment of impact, of course one of his feet are on the ground, he can't stay in the air forever, it was a red, end of. If Evans had caught Shelvey the way Shelvey caught him he'd have been the one walking.

Ooh that's me back in my box then!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Metal wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Ooh that's me back in my box then!
Most obvious place for you, going on your above contribution.
3 Gold Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Apology for what exactly? You said Shelvey apologised for 'a tackle', he did nothing of the sort.

I would appreciate if you could (at 2nd time of asking no less) point out where exactly did Shelvey APOLOGISE for THE TACKLE?

The only thing he apologised for(to the fans) was for getting sent off and for giving Slur Alex stick when going off.

Mindblowing stuff. This is quite possibly the most one eyed and pathetic argument I've ever seen.

For starters, the photo you linked to actually shows that Shelvey's studs are up. In case that's not clear enough, here's more evidence: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/ ... 34x391.jpg Had you not seen him do that or did you just choose not to? Still think he shouldn't have gone?

Did you not read the tweets in their entirety no? You're missing a fairly big chunk of the first one in your analysis and completely ignored the second. The first one did say what you alluded to....but it also included the fact that he was apologising because he knew he should have pulled out...clearly this is an admission of guilt. Why else would he mention not pulling out? Please, enlighten me.

The second tweet also acknowledges that he was off his feet, he was agreeing with the fact that he had to do it and therefore acknowledges that it was wreckless. Or do you have some other weird and wonderful explanation? Or are there parts of it that you can edit out so that you can turn it around into a defence of his actions? Certainly wouldn't put it past you. Argue all you like about Evans being sent off, I would find it hard to disagree with you...don't deny the evidence against Shelvey though, that's just deluded.

So to answer your question, I'd like an apology because you said I'd made things up when the evidence suggests otherwise. I don't expect one but you really can't deny the facts...again, not that it will stop you.

I hadn't replied to another part of your shambolic argument earlier but I have the time now. You mentioned that you "weren't allowed" any chances. I think you'll find that you had 14 shots with 8 of them going on target (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/matc ... ter-united). United had 8 with 3 of them on target. This backs up what I was saying, the referee didn't cost you the game. You still played well enough to win but just didn't take your chances.
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

Ooh that's me back in my box then![/quote]

Most obvious place for you, going on your above contribution.[/quote]
How dare I have an opinion that differs to yours, I really ought to know by now that yours is THE defining opinion. Repeat ad nauseum....
I must agree with his myopic views
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

On the Leinster v Munster thread;
Sauvignon Blank wrote:But do continue making excuses, another one for the bitterness-ometre in future.
On this thread;
Sauvignon Blank wrote:The only thing he apologised for(to the fans) was for getting sent off and for giving Slur Alex stick when going off
Sauvignon Blank wrote: 1. Not doing right
This is my favourite comment though;
Sauvignon Blank wrote:You may choose to retreat into statistics and blogs, I prefer to make my own judgements based on what I see.
Sauvignon Blank wrote:And i'll re-iterate again that Ive been to a hell of a lot of games supporting Liverpool over many years and NEVER heard Munich sang. And certainly not with the gusto that them clowns celebrate Hillsborough. They constantly goad Liverpool fans into a reaction at OT.
1. This, and everything wrote about MUFC fans, defines bitterness. "We do some bad things, but they're worse"
2. You "NEVER" heard the Munich song but apparently when you did hear it, "not with the gusto" as the MUFC fans singing about Hillsborough.

Is it remotely possibly for you to talk to people with using :lol: and :roll: because they don't agree with you?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

suisse wrote:This is my favourite comment though;
How can you read that and continue any discussion?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Logorrhea wrote:
suisse wrote:This is my favourite comment though;
How can you read that and continue any discussion?
Oh there's no discussion. I just enjoy the hypocrisy of it all. Blame Ferdinand and Evra for running 10 yards to influence a referee's decision, but stay silent when it is pointed out to you that Suarez does the same thing. In fairness though, we don't watch a lot of Liverpool games and we don't know what we're talking about FACT
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

suisse wrote:On the Leinster v Munster thread;
Sauvignon Blank wrote:But do continue making excuses, another one for the bitterness-ometre in future.
On this thread;
Sauvignon Blank wrote:The only thing he apologised for(to the fans) was for getting sent off and for giving Slur Alex stick when going off
Sauvignon Blank wrote: 1. Not doing right
This is my favourite comment though;
Sauvignon Blank wrote:And i'll re-iterate again that Ive been to a hell of a lot of games supporting Liverpool over many years and NEVER heard Munich sang. And certainly not with the gusto that them clowns celebrate Hillsborough. They constantly goad Liverpool fans into a reaction at OT.
1. This, and everything wrote about MUFC fans, defines bitterness. "We do some bad things, but they're worse"
2. You "NEVER" heard the Munich song but apparently when you did hear it, "not with the gusto" as the MUFC fans singing about Hillsborough.

Is it remotely possibly for you to talk to people with using :lol: and :roll: because they don't agree with you?

I usually have mild indifference at anything you post, such pretentious nonsense like this...

suisse wrote:

i;d ;lile to thank alltyhose whop intoedodiced me to to the game of rugby right now.

today is special day for/.......

thanl you al;l
and this......
suisse wrote:
coming 3rd in a quixz bcause you sont know anything about jrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tolken.

we wereleedong to that point.............

fock the nerds
Excuse me if I don't take you seriously whilst you pretend to be very drunk yet somehow manage to post on a forum.
Looking for attention in a manner of ....'ooh look at me, im drunk as a skunk, aren't I great craic'.

Pitiful and cringeworthy in equal measure.

Stick to your wonderfully uninteresting musings on all things Korean, at least they don't appear stage managed.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Mindblowing stuff. This is quite possibly the most one eyed and pathetic argument I've ever seen. For starters, the photo you linked to actually shows that Shelvey's studs are up. In case that's not clear enough, here's more evidence: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/ ... 34x391.jpg Had you not seen him do that or did you just choose not to? Still think he shouldn't have gone?

Did you not read the tweets in their entirety no? You're missing a fairly big chunk of the first one in your analysis and completely ignored the second. The first one did say what you alluded to....but it also included the fact that he was apologising because he knew he should have pulled out...clearly this is an admission of guilt. Why else would he mention not pulling out? Please, enlighten me.

The second tweet also acknowledges that he was off his feet, he was agreeing with the fact that he had to do it and therefore acknowledges that it was wreckless. Or do you have some other weird and wonderful explanation? Or are there parts of it that you can edit out so that you can turn it around into a defence of his actions? Certainly wouldn't put it past you. Argue all you like about Evans being sent off, I would find it hard to disagree with you...don't deny the evidence against Shelvey though, that's just deluded.

So to answer your question, I'd like an apology because you said I'd made things up when the evidence suggests otherwise. I don't expect one but you really can't deny the facts...again, not that it will stop you.

I hadn't replied to another part of your shambolic argument earlier but I have the time now. You mentioned that you "weren't allowed" any chances. I think you'll find that you had 14 shots with 8 of them going on target (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/matc ... ter-united). United had 8 with 3 of them on target. This backs up what I was saying, the referee didn't cost you the game. You still played well enough to win but just didn't take your chances.
Untangle you knickers and illustrate/quote(3rs time of asking) where Shelvey said he apologised for the tackle.
Your argument is bordering on the ridiculous now, pure speculation on your part on what you think Shelvey said or may have inferred.
I also originally stated Shelvey and Evans should have been spoken to or both sent off. Not one or the other, another fact you conveniently brush over. And that technically and according to the rules Shelvey's tackle was better than Evans.
A lot of your argument is based on what you think, your opinion of what was said on Twitter! Twitter FFS.

Oh, and 'weren't allowed chances' as you say refers to the referee not being even handed and impartial. Not to our profligacy in front of goal. Thats not the referee's fault. Although that seems to have gone over your head.

I think it's you whose deluded fella.

Apology my arse, get a f*****g grip. Failing that, at least get Shelvey's alleged quote.....ooops sorry...Tweet.
3 Gold Stars