Liverpool Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

rex banner wrote:I believe it should be 50-50 zonal marking and man marking.
The injuries haven't helped Liverpool so far (obviously). But there is only so much that sissoko can do to help the defence. Alonso is playing cr@p in every department.
Hardly. He's barely had a game. He was fin against Haifa. The problem with a player of his sheer class is that if he hits a few stray balls he's "lost it"

For me Gerrard needs to get the finger out and do a bit more graft.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

As Ron Atkinson might put it: "Tell you what Sarah, that Alonso doesn't half have an identity crisis. He thinks he's an enforcer, if you like, but for me he's more of an amusement arcade - too fond of the Hollywood ball when he should be putting on the reducers. I'm not sure if Gerrard isn't the man for the passing role, and young Alonso should be squeezing the ball early doors and letting Stevie off on the gambler's run to the second post. I'm not saying he's not talented mind, but for me he's got a couple more gears in his locker I wouldn't half mind him using to hit it full gun and put his foot in instead of dropping off or trying lollipops."
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

jezzer wrote:As Ron Atkinson might put it: "Tell you what Sarah, that Alonso doesn't half have an identity crisis. He thinks he's an enforcer, if you like, but for me he's more of an amusement arcade - too fond of the Hollywood ball when he should be putting on the reducers. I'm not sure if Gerrard isn't the man for the passing role, and young Alonso should be squeezing the ball early doors and letting Stevie off on the gambler's run to the second post. I'm not saying he's not talented mind, but for me he's got a couple more gears in his locker I wouldn't half mind him using to hit it full gun and put his foot in instead of dropping off or trying lollipops."
That's uncanny!!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

"And don't get me started on Marcel Desailly."
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

jezzer wrote:"And don't get me started on Marcel Desailly."
Ah go on!!!!!!

Can't believe somebody employed that man after that!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TRANSFER VISION THAT PAID OFF
Rick Parry 25 August 2006

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldow ... 5-0805.htm

When you are moving in the transfer market, the last thing you want is to be panicked or pressured close to a deadline.

I'm not suggesting you never make signings instinctively when situations change or individuals suddenly become available, but the best deals are usually part of a well thought out plan between manager and chief executive.

This was certainly the case with our latest acquisition Dirk Kuyt. We had been looking at him for 12 months. He was not one we suddenly decided to bid for on the spur of the moment. The Dutch striker has been a long-term target for Rafa Benitez and these are the signings that are always more likely to succeed than the impulse buy.

It's extremely gratifying to have secured Kuyt's services at long last. He has got a track record for scoring goals in Holland and was clearly a real hero at Feyenoord.

All being well he will score goals here too. He brings something new to the attacking mix and now we've now a whole variety of options based on the different strengths and qualities of our main front men.

Kuyt will certainly complement the pace of Craig Bellamy and, like Peter Crouch and Robbie Fowler, he will also benefit from the service of two pacy and skilful wingers.

But for me the most important thing about this signing is that it highlights a recurring theme of players desperately wanting to play for this club. Our focus has to be on people who really want to be here. This summer we've seen it with the likes of Bellamy and Jermaine Pennant , two lifelong Liverpool supporters

The Feyenoord president, speaking to the Press in Holland, said that Liverpool was the only club Kuyt wanted to join. The player was passionately keen to sign for us and that's an important ingredient in any big deal. It helps to build team spirit and ensures players give you that extra five per cent when the chips are down and that can make all the difference.

If you look back to this time last year, we were delighted to have acquired four good signings in Crouch, Reina, Zenden and Sissoko. A few eyebrows were raised at that time when Momo was introduced as a virtual unknown, but no one doubts the wisdom of that signing now.

However, we didn't get the centre-back we had highlighted as a priority and we didn't get the right-sided player we wanted. This was because we refused to be rushed into getting the wrong players or pay over the odds.

Even though we brought in four, there was a mood of anti-climax amongst the fans because we went into the season without the centre-half cover and the extra width that Rafa had pinpointed as being important. We corrected one element by bringing in Daniel Agger in the January transfer window, but this can get overlooked in the middle of the season. We eased him in which was important, but now he's ready to make his mark this season.

This time round we've secured all of our targets in every position highlighted by the manager, something that is really exciting and quite unusual.

Compared to this time last year we have eight new players in the squad. This takes some doing because every deal comes with its own challenges. The men we have brought in are Daniel Agger, Robbie Fowler, Fabio Aurelio, Gabriel Paletta, Mark Gonzalez, Jermaine Pennant, Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt.

Even though last season's squad was good, helping us to win the FA Cup as well as improving our league position, the present group looks extremely strong. There is a sense of real excitement amongst the fans that further progress can be made.

I think our latest signing will be very popular with our supporters. Kuyt is a nice lad with a great attitude who really wants to do well in a Liverpool shirt. As I said, we want players who feel a real sense of pride to be at this club and he certainly fits the bill.

Celebrating the Kop's centenary

The whole of Anfield will be celebrating a special anniversary on Saturday. The Kop, built as a major grandstand in the summer of 1906 to celebrate our second Championship win, is 100 years old.

Of course, there was a cinder bank and then a standing area at the Walton Breck Road end of our stadium from the moment the ground was built, but the erection of a giant purpose built structure in 1906 signalled the start of a famous era that would eventually see the Kop becoming the most famous standing terrace in the world. No one will ever forget those amazing days in the Sixties when the Kop took on a whole new meaning inspired by the Bill Shankly revolution.

We will never see those days again following the development of all-seater stadia, but the modern Kop still lights up from time to time to remind us of a glorious and colourful past and an ambitious present. I think about evenings like our Champions League semi-final triumph over Chelsea. Further back, we all recall the drama when Gerard Houllier returned after his long absence for the Roma game. Barcelona was another famous night.

Along the way, the Kop has marked many events and anniversaries with special mosaics and another of those will signal its own 100th anniversary on Saturday. This is a fitting way to mark this special birthday because it involves the Kopites themselves.

There have been some special mosaics, not least on that night when we welcomed Gerard back after his long lay-off. Then there was the mosaic last season as we held out the hand of friendship to Juventus.

The one that I always think of reminded the Sheffield Wednesday directors that there was no memorial at Hillsborough, a highly visible protest that had made a real impact on our visitors.

We will all salute the Kop on Saturday. In doing so, we will be paying tribute to every single Liverpool supporter, past and present, who has played a part in the success of our famous club.
I have Bumbleflex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

jezzer wrote:As Ron Atkinson might put it: "Tell you what Sarah, that Alonso doesn't half have an identity crisis. He thinks he's an enforcer, if you like, but for me he's more of an amusement arcade - too fond of the Hollywood ball when he should be putting on the reducers. I'm not sure if Gerrard isn't the man for the passing role, and young Alonso should be squeezing the ball early doors and letting Stevie off on the gambler's run to the second post. I'm not saying he's not talented mind, but for me he's got a couple more gears in his locker I wouldn't half mind him using to hit it full gun and put his foot in instead of dropping off or trying lollipops."
To be a real impression of Big Ron this should have been in French (or at least his version of it :roll: ) - if anyone saw him on that program
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

...except he didn't speak any French at all!

"Je suis Premiership Football manager" "Je love beaucoup champagne"
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Mange tout, mange tout!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ills joue the long ball beaucoup. Le winger est tres tricky. Mais je think ils could nick it.

Though to be fair made as much sense in French as in English.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Skysports.com can reveal that Liverpool have lodged a bid for Lucas Neill.

The Reds are now waiting to hear from Blackburn as to whether or not they are willing to do business.

Neill is entering the last year of his contract and has made it clear to Rovers that he is highly unlikely to be signing a new deal.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to bolster his defensive options and that fact that Neill can play anywhere across the back four is sure to appeal.

Neill was outstanding during the World Cup finals for Australia, where he operated in central defence - while during his time at Blackburn he has established himself as one of the most competent defenders in The Premiership.

Blackburn are keen to keep Neill, but they are already looking at alternatives with Manchester City's Danny Mills top of their list.

Mills is keen to secure regular first team football and Mark Hughes is keen to offer him the chance of a move to Ewood Park.

The likes of Tottenham and Newcastle are also keen to land Neill, but Liverpool look very much in pole position to secure his signature

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

That has been doing the rounds for weeks now hasn't it?

The way some people 'in the know' were telling it was that Oijer would go from PSV to Blackburn to replace Neill, who was bound for Liverpool, who in turn would sell Kromkamp to PSV to replace Oijer.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Yep, but now it seems a bid has been made! God I wonder if he signs how his first training session with Carra would go!!!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

Sarah,
i presume in the first challenge - Carra will lunge over the ball straight into Neill's leg. Then Carra will feign injury from the challenge and later claim it was he who was assaulted and not Neill.
After that, Neill can spend 6 months on the side line and then they can bury the hatchet.

As Keano says - 'eye for an eye boy'.
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

General Collins wrote:Sarah,
i presume in the first challenge - Carra will lunge over the ball straight into Neill's leg. Then Carra will feign injury from the challenge and later claim it was he who was assaulted and not Neill.
After that, Neill can spend 6 months on the side line and then they can bury the hatchet.

As Keano says - 'eye for an eye boy'.
Sounds about right, not very zen but sure.....

I think to quote Keano accurately it's 'an eye for an eye you ####### ####, boy'
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
General Collins
Graduate

I know Neill is a handy player, and the one thing we do seem to lack is a utility back. We don't seem to possess a player that can play across the back four. Last player of any worth able to do the job was Stan in his first stint.

However, bringing Neill to the club would really annoy me. That challenge at Ewood Park still sticks in my throat - i can only imagine what Carra thinks about it.

I don't want him and i for one hopes he's doesn't sign. It's not often i'm against signing a player but in this instance......
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

But you forget about Rigobert Song....! :lol:

For me, we have purchased Agger and Paletta for CB and we need to bleed them in alongside Sami and Carra otherwise what's the point, and Steve Finnan should be considered 1st choice RB, so hard enough to see Neill start, if he comes.

Rafa does seem to want 2 players per position, though I'd argue that Carra is cover enough for RB, knowing that Agger could play CB! Kromkamp worries me tbh!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
General Collins
Graduate

If i was Rafa (and unfortunatley i'm not) - i'd play Agger and Carra as much as possible this season. It's not that i think Sami isn't up to it, but i fear if he plays another 50 games this season it could be his last. If we use him sparingly then we could easily get another two seasons from him.
Plus i think a Carra/Agger combo would be outstanding.

Kromkamp should have been farmed out in the Kuyt sale. He reminds a little of Kavarme. Confused and intimidated...
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Neill on course for Liverpool switch
'He is not going to be signing a new contract at Blackburn'

Guardian Unlimited

Liverpool's gargantuan squad is set for another addition in the shape of Blackburn full-back Lucas Neill.

The Australian defender, whose contract ends next summer, has refused to sign a new deal at Ewood Park and is set to move to Anfield after Liverpool reportedly tabled a £2m bid. "They have made an offer which Lucas has declined - he is not going to be signing a new contract at Blackburn," said Neill's agent Peter Harrison. "He has enjoyed his time there, he loves the club and the fans; he just feels it is time for a change."

Neill has not always been the most popular man in Liverpool: he was sent off twice against them in the 2003-04 season, the first time for a challenge which broke Jamie Carragher's leg.

If he signs, Neill will become the 21st international on the books at Anfield. Some may doubt the relative quality of Liverpool's first XI but, if the title race comes down to squad depth, they will be leading the way.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Or constant rotation will lead to staccato performances
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4