Liverpool Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Sosume
Enlightened

Post by Sosume »

Looks like Liverpool have finally decided to try buy the league :lol: :lol: :wink:
How much have they spent this summer?
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Sosume wrote:Looks like Liverpool have finally decided to try buy the league :lol: :lol: :wink:
About as much as Chavski paid for Shevchenko...
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Liverpool bid for Neill rejected
By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Neill has indicated he wants to leave Blackburn
Liverpool's £2m bid for Blackburn defender Lucas Neill has been rejected - but they are still hopeful of signing the Australia World Cup star.
The 28-year-old has turned down a fresh contract at Ewood Park - and under new Fifa rules players over 28 with only a year left can buy out their contract.

Neil is in his final year, and this could yet force Blackburn boss Mark Hughes to reluctantly agree a deal.

If Neill quits, Blackburn are likely to move for Manchester City's Danny Mills.

Neill was sent off in Blackburn's opening day defeat at Portsmouth - and was also involved in a controversial challenge that broke Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher's leg at Ewood Park in 2003.

606 VIEW
I dont know why we are buying him, we are covered at the back pretty well

RT
606: Have your say

The player's agent Peter Harrison said recently: "They (Blackburn) have made an offer which Lucas has declined - he is not going to be signing a new contract at Blackburn.

"He has enjoyed his time there, he loves the club and the fans, he just feels it is time for a change."
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

Avenger wrote:
Sosume wrote:Looks like Liverpool have finally decided to try buy the league :lol: :lol: :wink:
less - AFAIK they've spent £28m, which could eventually rise to £30m if Pennant makes a certain amount of England appearances.
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Preston swoop for striker Mellor

Preston have signed Liverpool striker Neil Mellor on a three-year deal.
The injury-plagued 23-year-old has signed for an undisclosed fee and North End boss Paul Simpson is confident his new recruit will be a big success.

Simpson told the club's website: "Neil is a goalscorer and hopefully that will continue to be the case.

"He is a tremendous signing. He has had his injury problems but we are happy he is over those and it's just a case now of building up his fitness levels."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2 ... 299024.stm
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Pongolle shipped off to Spain

Liverpool striker Florent Sinama-Pongolle has joined Spanish club Recreativo Huelva on a season-long loan.

The deal includes an option for another year for the 21-year-old Frenchman who joined the Reds from Le Havre in 2003 and had a loan spell with Blackburn last season.

A statement on Huelva's official website read: "Liverpool's French forward Florent Sinama-Pongolle has signed for Recreativo Huelva for the current season with an option for another."
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

General Collins wrote:
Avenger wrote:
less - AFAIK they've spent £28m, which could eventually rise to £30m if Pennant makes a certain amount of England appearances.
Having cleared out much of Houlliers duds in the meantime - we actually made a tidy profit on Traore.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Various Bits

Everton midfielder Tim Cahill has already started to put the 'frighteners' on neighbours Liverpool ahead of Saturday's derby at Goodison Park.

The Aussie reckons that Liverpool are already "wary" of playing the Toffees.

Cahill says: "This is such a massive game for us, our own Champions League final if you like.

"And we have started the season tremendously well, so much so that Liverpool will already be wary of meeting us in this form. This is not just a game, it means so much to all our fans who kick every ball. And they want the bragging rights afterwards."

Liverpool have not written off making a move for Blackburn full-back Lucas Neill in the January transfer window.
The Reds had been tipped to sign the Australian international on deadline day despite a £2m offer being rejected.

"I know Lucas Neill really wanted to come here and maybe there will be a possibility in the future," said Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez.

"It was disappointing. We tried but in the end the situation was impossible. We'll analyse the market in January."
Injury News

Norway hope John Arne Riise will be fit for the second match of their Euro 2008 qualifying double-header.

Riise is carrying an ankle injury picked up in Liverpool's opening Premiership game of the season against Sheffield United a fortnight ago.

He was called up for the Norway squad by coach Age Hareide for the games against Hungary on Saturday, and Moldova next Wednesday.

Hareide is hoping that the full back will be fit to play some part in the Norwegians' opening fixtures on the road to the finals.

"I have talked to him every day and will continue to talk to him every day and I hope he can join the squad this weekend," Hareide told VG.

The national team's doctor Thor Einar Andersen feels the midweek game against Moldova is a realistic option for Riise.

Carragher should be fit for the derby too according to F365! :D
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

Tim Cahill is a fool........

And that's my two cents
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

General Collins wrote:Tim Cahill is a fool........

And that's my two cents
Well, in fairness to be boy, he has a really silly surname.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Flash Gordon wrote:

And that's my two cents
Oi, he's on my fantasty football team, that is burning up the bottom of the leinster league table :oops:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

bluesky wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

And that's my two cents
Oi, he's on my fantasty football team, that is burning up the bottom of the leinster league table :oops:
Please tell me there are no Sheffield United players on your team. We have enough problems without having our best players crocked by you.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Flash Gordon wrote:
bluesky wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Well, in fairness to be boy, he has a really silly surname.
Please tell me there are no Sheffield United players on your team. We have enough problems without having our best players crocked by you.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:
No don't think so.....if only Sunderland were in the premiership!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Get out of here you two with your Keane nonsense :P
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Sissoko boost for Reds

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

MOMO SISSOKO is winning his fitness battle ahead of this weekend's derby.

But injured duo Jamie Carragher and John Arne Riise remain doubtful for the trip to Goodison, as neither have yet resumed training.

Sissoko has made most progress since suffering damaged medial knee ligaments in the recent Champions League qualifier.

Manager Rafa Benitez is hopeful the African will be declared fit after his swift recovery.

Of greater concern are the ankle injuries to Carragher and Riise, neither of which have fully healed yet.

Carragher will know by Wednesday if he can step up his comeback at Melwood to give himself a realistic chance of facing the Blues.

Riise, who is still receiving treatment at Melwood, has now been ruled out of Norway's Euro 2008 qualifier with Moldova on Wednesday.

Liverpool insist there was no chance of their full-back being fit enough to play in the game.

At this stage, both Carragher and Riise are no more than '50-50' for a derby place.

Benitez faces an anxious wait to see if the rest of his international contingent return unscathed on Thursday morning.

The international double bill couldn't have come at a worse time with Liverpool facing three tough away fixtures - at Goodison, against PSV Eindhoven next Tuesday and Chelsea on September 17.

Man spared prison for Dudek haul

A man found with medals and shirts belonging to Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek has avoided going to jail.
Martin Roche, 26, of Brainerd Street, Tuebrook, Liverpool, pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods at Wirral Magistrates' Court in July.

He was given a nine-month sentence, suspended for 12 months and ordered to do 120 hours community service.

Recorder Timothy King QC, at Liverpool Crown Court told Roche handling the goods was "a particularly mean matter."

The court heard Roche hoarded the goods stolen from the home of Mr Dudek - hero of the Reds' European Champions triumph in 2005 - after a break-in at the player's home in Caldy, Merseyside in June.

Roche claimed he was given them outside a pub in Liverpool not knowing they were stolen, and put them in a cupboard at his home, the court was told.

Police could not link him to the burglary, but he refuses to name the man who gave him the items.

More than 100 football jerseys were taken from the player's home, together with Dudek's 2005 Champions League final winners' medal, worth £15,000 and his shirt worn in the final, worth £3,000.

Jewellery, including a Gucci watch, a Sony camcorder and the player's Porsche Carrera was also taken.

Other items included medals from the Super Cup, Worthington Cup and goalkeeper gloves worn in World Cup games.

The "minimum valuation" of the goods stolen were at least £23,800, but not all the items were given valuations, the court heard.

Neil Bisarya, defending, said Roche was given the items by a man who said he had split from his girlfriend and needed space to store his property.

Previous conviction

He said Roche "panicked" and didn't go to police on finding the stolen football goods because he had a £90 parking fine outstanding. But Judge King interjected: "Are we meant to believe that?"

Roche, who has one previous conviction for a similar matter in 2003, previously worked in the Home Office as an admin officer, but now runs his own business.

Judge King added: "Your handling these goods in these circumstances was a particularly mean matter. Everybody knows that without handlers, burglary would not take place.

"It is embarrassing when foreign footballers come to this country, make their home here and what do you do - burgle their properties."

Three other people, also from Liverpool, face charges in relation to the thefts.

Melanie Mackereth, 23, Rachel Mackereth, 26, and Colin Roberts, 32, appeared at Wirral Magistrates' Court in July charged with handling stolen goods.

They did not enter a plea and were bailed to appear at the same court on 22 September when they will be committed to crown court for trial.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/u ... 312756.stm

Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

- Graham Poll will ref Satdee's derby. But, before you panic, read on...

Poll is set for derby return

By David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

SHAMED World Cup referee Graham Poll, will take charge of Saturday's Goodison derby match - nine months after he showed two red cards and six yellows in last season's corresponding fixture.

Poll was widely ridiculed this summer for his three-card trick, when he showed Croatia's Josip Simunic three yellow cards before finally dismissing him.

But he has been no stranger to controversy in derby matches even before that World Cup clanger.

Last December Phil Neville and Mikel Arteta were red-carded by Poll in a Goodison clash which the Reds won 3-1, while on Good Friday 2000 he blew for time, while Evertonians were celebrating what they thought was a match-winner. :D

Goalkeeper Sander Westerveld had miskicked a free-kickinto the unwitting Don Hutchison's back, but before the ball could roll over the goal-line and into the Gwladys Street net, Poll blew the final whistle.

Following his high profile blunder in the Croatia-Australia match in Germany, Poll started the 2006-07 season in charge of Colchester against Barnsley. He has taken charge of two Premiership matches to date this season, Arsenal's first match at the Emirates Stadium against Aston Villa and the Fulham-Sheffield United match, when he booked six players.

Recent Merseyside derbies have been fractious affairs,with two reds cards and nine yellows in last season's Anfield clash, following two reds and six yellow in the corresponding fixture at Goodison.

The season before, Milan Baros was red-carded at Anfield.

Retired referee Jeff Winter said: "Poll is clearly still the most experienced and probably the best referee in the country.

"Obviously he will be keen to put the personal memories of the World Cup behind him.

"The fans will never forget and will always remind him but there's no better place to exorcise the ghosts of Germany than by taking charge of a Merseyside derby."

Added Winter, who refereed just one derby at Goodison where he issued ten yellow cards and one red: "Hopefully there won't be too many cards on Saturday so he won't get confused."

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Better than that Phil Dowd creep!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

sarah_lennon wrote:Better than that Phil Dowd creep!
Ah come on he had to go, and sure Dowd evened it up for us later on in any case. :wink:

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Duke Raoul wrote:
Ah come on he had to go, and sure Dowd evened it up for us later on in any case. :wink:
Aye true and no harm done nice rest for him, but I don't like the man he told Carra to f%~kin shut up once. He thinks he's one of the lads
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote:
Aye true and no harm done nice rest for him, but I don't like the man he told Carra to f%~kin shut up once. He thinks he's one of the lads
Frankly, I admire a man with such cojones. I strongly advise him not to try it again though... :twisted: