Liverpool Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Well, we did get £16 compensation for a teenager who never played for us and will probably turn out to be a flop, so we had to spend it on something...
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

epaddy wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
epaddy wrote: Sorry ment 24 year old. The sentance should have read
Fourteen million Great British pounds for a twenty four year old with a very bright future ahead of him is not that much
Could have bought the same player for 2 million from West Ham. I have to ask what the United scouts are doing?
So what?
Great retort. Basically you could have used the other 16 million! Because Carrick was over 18 million - depending on success which you claim he will be!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

sarah_lennon wrote:
epaddy wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote: Djemba x 2 :lol:

Most Utd fan's I talked to doubt whether Carrick will ever reach the value of his transfer. United have performed a volte face of the traditional way. There's no youth coming through and they just buy seriously overpriced players instead.

Anyway I believe this is a Liverpool thread. What do you all think of the new kit. The collar's weird!
Collar is a bit strange alright, but overall I quite like it.
Bit of a throwback to to the late Eighties / early Nineties with lots of white stripes (not the Jack and Meg variety - just in case any smartarse is thinking of cracking wise :D )
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Donny Brooke wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
epaddy wrote: Collar is a bit strange alright, but overall I quite like it.
Bit of a throwback to to the late Eighties / early Nineties with lots of white stripes (not the Jack and Meg variety - just in case any smartarse is thinking of cracking wise :D )
There's a small liverbird on the back. I ordered the womans one and there's no collar
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sarah_lennon wrote:However if you think our midfield has no shape (which is strange as we haven't even fielded our first choice midfield in a competitive game) then wtf is Chelseas? How are Lampard, Makalele and Ballack going to play together?
With great difficulty! But they have more options out wide and up front than the Pool and a track record of rotation (even if some players don't like it).

Can see them playing Essien/Makelele with Lampard in the centre. Ballack, Cole and Robben in a line behind Shevchenko (Robben on the right).

4-3-3 if you're an optimist. 4-5-1 If you watch premiership football. :cry:
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

sarah_lennon wrote:
epaddy wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote: Could have bought the same player for 2 million from West Ham. I have to ask what the United scouts are doing?
So what?
Great retort. Basically you could have used the other 16 million! Because Carrick was over 18 million - depending on success which you claim he will be!
We could also have signed him at birth or just after his 6th birthday when he showed real promise. He was 14m. The rest depends on how well he and utd do
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

epaddy wrote: We could also have signed him at birth or just after his 6th birthday when he showed real promise. He was 14m. The rest depends on how well he and utd do
Can't argue with your logic epaddy. Good luck for the season.

Meanwhile Back at the ranch

Forgot about Essien, so basically Chelsea have 4 central midfielders vying for 2-3 places, and on the wing Robben (injury and sulk prone), Cole (injured) and Wright Phillips (Maureen doesn't trust him).

Oh and add to that no left backs and you're laughing.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Donny Brooke wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote: There's a small liverbird on the back. I ordered the womans one and there's no collar

Looks alright on Mr Gonzalez...... :lol:

Here's a link to hi-definition one LFC Shirt
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

You couldn't really see the "badge of honour san" on the kits yesterday. Rubbish they way the FA won't let them put it on the league kits like Real and Milan!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sarah_lennon wrote:
epaddy wrote: We could also have signed him at birth or just after his 6th birthday when he showed real promise. He was 14m. The rest depends on how well he and utd do

Forgot about Essien, so basically Chelsea have 4 central midfielders vying for 2-3 places, and on the wing Robben (injury and sulk prone), Cole (injured) and Wright Phillips (Maureen doesn't trust him).

But as I say, they have the squad to rotate, and they'll still beat the Pool. :P
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

jezzer wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:

But as I say, they have the squad to rotate, and they'll still beat the Pool. :P
Oh not when it matters! Not when it matters!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

jezzer wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:

The may win Premierships over the next few years, but what century will the Blues qualify for one of these though...

UEFA Badge of Honour

Just don't think Mourinho has got the class to push them on, Porto was one thing nobody expected them to win. But with unlimited funds, he's got no excuse (doesn't stop him trying though....).
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

He won't win 5 European cups with Chelsea (or anyone else). Not a fan of the man at all - he has the uncanny ability to suck the creative spark out of every player who comes in contact with him and his teams play awful football. On top of that he's begging to be slapped one of these days.

And I agree that with unlimited funds he should be doing better. But it shows how poor a state football is in at the moment that proven quality does not guarantee wins - negative tactics and simulation are enough to give you a chance against even the biggest teams.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:He won't win 5 European cups with Chelsea (or anyone else). Not a fan of the man at all - he has the uncanny ability to suck the creative spark out of every player who comes in contact with him and his teams play awful football. On top of that he's begging to be slapped one of these days.

And I agree that with unlimited funds he should be doing better. But it shows how poor a state football is in at the moment that proven quality does not guarantee wins - negative tactics and simulation are enough to give you a chance against even the biggest teams.
I think one thing Liverpool and United fans can agree on is that Mourinho is a w**ker of the highest order!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Delighted we won. You'd be amazed at all the Mancs cheering for the Reds yesterday. Say something. And I had a tenner on them to win!!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

ABU is dead! long live ABC!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

jezzer wrote:ABU is dead! long live ABC!
And ABL.

How about ABUCL?
A proud Winsome Fluter
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

And Everton ABE!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

What pleased me most about yesterday's victory was the manner in which we achieved it.
For the last few years i felt that Chelsea dominated us, even in the games that we won, but yesterday we were clearly the better team.
We created more chances and even without Gerrard, Bellamy, Alonso and Hyypia we were still the more assured side.
Everything yesterday was done at pace and that i feel is one of the main reason we were so successful.

Glad that all my blowing on about Agger was finally proved right yesterday. He was superb and his passing is Hansenesque
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Agger even took a few of the set pieces. Still no pace at the back though, the Shevshenko goal was identical to the Boccoli ( :lol: ) goal on Wednesday
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4