Liverpool Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Liverpool Thread

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:
Avenger wrote:Probably do but it's farcical that a player gets this after doing everything he can other than put in a transfer request to force a move.
Yeah but we've seen it so often now. Its pretty ridiculous but all parties would have understood how stupid it is when it was included in the contract.

incidentally I saw an article saying that QPR are due 20% of the fee. Given their precarious financial situation that would be a huge development for them.
Yeah. I think they are due about £9m.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

In fairness that does make the fee look more reasonable.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

We have apparently met Benteke's release clause and seal is imminent, If he stays fit he will do a great job for us and presumably Rodgers will play to his strengths and not try to re-invent him
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

another good signing. proven premiership quality.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Logorrhea wrote:another good signing. proven premiership quality.
Hmmm...... I'm not convinced myself.... seems like an awful lot of money.... maybe(hopefully from our perspective) you're right. He has definitely shined in the Premiership... just not often or consistently enough for my liking.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Meh, you probably paid about 7-9 million over his proper value but that is nothing really. For a player who you know will score goals in the premier league (I'd expect 10-15 at least) that's a premium worth paying.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

....and he's what, 24? Very young. If he scores anything near 20+ goals a season (albeit a tad unlikely) he'll be a bargain. Plus we can sell him on in 4-5 years for the same money if not more.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't be worried about his consistency, has roughly goal ratio of about one every two games if I remember correctly and that was as part of a terrible Villa team.

Clyne at right back, pushing Can back into midfield, and having Benteke up top really strengthens you hugely across team. I'd still say you're weak in other areas but there are only so many changes you can make at a time and I'd expect Clyne and Can to help improve the performances of those around them.

You've quite a young team as well, it's growing quite nicely.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Beginning to look like Super Mario is gone. Bologna also interested now.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Not a great performance but a spectacular goal to secure the 3 points from Phil C. Players finding their way early season, mostly encouraged by our centre backs they looked far more aggressive than we have been, hopefully they continue to do the same. Stoke away will be difficult this season 3 points for the visiting teams will not be a regular occurrence. W
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Armchair wrote:Not a great performance but a spectacular goal to secure the 3 points from Phil C. Players finding their way early season, mostly encouraged by our centre backs they looked far more aggressive than we have been, hopefully they continue to do the same. Stoke away will be difficult this season 3 points for the visiting teams will not be a regular occurrence. W
A bit of a smash & grab raid alright...... concerned at the lack of goal chances we created but we did pass the ball around quite well. I really liked the look of Firmino in his(admittedly brief) cameo.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

To be honest with you I think it was a great result. If we perform well on Monday night and have 6 points in the bag I'll be very happy.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli, 25, will reject the chance to join Lazio and Sampdoria on loan as he is due a six-figure loyalty bonus if he is still at Anfield when the transfer window closes.
Quoted from the BBC

Is there nothing we can do to be free of this guy? Proof, if any were needed, that it's all about the benjamins for him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Liverpool have treated him badly as such, but in his head he probably feels like he's acted like his normal self and been cast aside for no reason so doesn't owe them anything. For a guy who's been indulged for so many years, I can see where he's coming from.

I'm trying to think of a worse signing in the last 20 years and I can't. In terms of being guaranteed to fail the only things that come to mind are Newcastle appointing Joe Kinnear and Villa appointing McCleish but can't think of any transfers.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:... he probably feels like he's acted like his normal self ...
Why always Me?
There can be no doubt that you're correct. What goes on in that guy's head seems divorced from reality at best.

Surely, though, there's somebody close to him - an agent or a parent/sibling/friend even - who would point out that Liverpool are actually doing him a favour by letting him go back to Italy on loan. Firstly, he'll be getting regular football, something he's clearly not going to get at Anfield (plus he hasn't shown the slightest inclination to play when he has been on the pitch). Secondly, he'll be playing at a big club in Italy, which puts him back in the national spotlight which could only help his national team ambitions (with the one caveat that if he acts the maggot over there, he'll be more visible). Thirdly it's quite likely that Liverpool will be paying a proportion of his wages whilst on loan (I've nothing other than years spent playing Championship/Football Manager to base this comment on). Finally, this 'six figure' loyalty payment might only represent a week's wages to him - ultimately, is it really better for him to play for the Liverpool reserves just so he can pick up a week or two's bonus?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Genuinely I think someone could explain all that to him but then he'd just stare blankly and give them a wedgie or something.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:he'd just stare blankly and give them a wedgie or something.
I have to be honest, that just made me laugh audibly (in work). Well played, sir :happy clapper:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

It was the same with Sterling wasn't it? He never requested a transfer so would have been entitled to a loyalty payment as part of the transfer to City ................... even though he had engineered his move away.

No point complaining when they start asking you to honor the clauses in the contract. Pay up or shut up.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:It was the same with Sterling wasn't it? He never requested a transfer so would have been entitled to a loyalty payment as part of the transfer to City ................... even though he had engineered his move away.

No point complaining when they start asking you to honor the clauses in the contract. Pay up or shut up.
Who is complaining?
LFC want to sell him but they have entered in to a contract with him so he is under no obligation to go now that they have copped on to the fact that their recruitment of him was a farce to begin with as he has had the same problems at every club he's been at.

Enrique is the same. And he admitted as much in an interview in Spanish media that he wouldn't get the same financial package again so he has no intention of leaving until his contract is up.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

I thought we got away with that one last night. Bournemouth showed a lot of character. Their 'goal' looked perfectly legit to me and ours was clearly offside. Still, from a Liverpool point of view, I thought we played several times better than last week's showing. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but it's heading in the right direction. I'm delighted to see BR favouring a back 4 - I thought the back 5 last season left us dreadfully short at the business end of the pitch. Lovren has been good, the new fullbacks are starting to bed in and Phil has adopted the mantle of playmaker-in-chief. Millner looks like he'll be an excellent signing. Benteke keeping up his record of a goal every two games. I thought we played to his strengths much better last night - Phil in particular was hovering around Benteke to pick up the knock-downs. Firminho is being introduced gradually - although he seems to play the same position as Phil, so that'll be a toughie for BR to sort out. Lallana continues to underwhelm - he has a couple of touches then stands still as though he has no clue where to move. I hope for everyone's sake he sorts that out in his own mind. It's still early season, so plenty of time for relationships to develop. Two abject performances - will surely get better. 6 points - you'd have to be happy with that.