for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

beaker1
Learner

day 2 aintree

Post by beaker1 »

Friday April 5th

2:30 – John Smith’s Mildmay Novices’ Chase

ROCKY CREEK missed Cheltenham to go for this and connections can be rewarded for that decision. In four starts over fences he has looked very good, including an impressive defeat of Molotof at Doncaster. Last time out he won the Grade Two Reynoldstown Chase at Ascot despite connections stating that he ran below form. Having been given time to recover he comes here a fresh horse and sets the standard. He jumps well and stays very well and it is worth noting that he beat Rolling Aces in a point-to-point who is now rated 153. The main danger looks to be Super Duty who jumped really well at Cheltenham last time. He had a hard race though and that could cost him here.

3.05 – John Smith’s Melling Chase

Sprinter Sacre steps up in trip to tackle two and a half miles for the first time over fences and faces some tough opposition, so this is not the formality that many think. He is certainly the most likely winner as he has looked an absolutely fantastic horse so far, but he faces classy opposition over a trip he is unproven over, so this will be a fascinating race to watch. Flemenstar is sure to make the running and make it a serious test for the favourite, but it has been reported that he is a bad traveler and this is the first time that he has raced outside Ireland, so he may not run to form. Finian’s Rainbow was impressive last year and could bounce back on better ground and with McCoy in the saddle I am expecting him to run his best race of the season. Cue Card was brilliant at Cheltenham and this is definitely his trip. He may struggle to make all the running, but should be able to sit up with the pace and a repeat of his last run should make him the biggest danger to the favourite, so it is CUE CARD BETTING WITHOUT THE FAVOURITE for me.

4:50 – John Smith’s Daily Mirror Punters Club Handicap Hurdle

MINELLA FORFITNESS has really impressed me so far over hurdles and is a very interesting runner on his handicap debut. He looked a horse going places when he won at Doncaster at the start of February, beating Zuider Zee and Aaim To Prosper who have both won since. He showed a really good attitude that day and then returned to Doncaster to beat Cheltenian over two miles, where again he battled well to win. This trip should suit him much more than the two miles he ran over last time and off a mark of 135, he should run a big race.
Mackman15
Mullet

Re: day 2 aintree

Post by Mackman15 »

I shall have to resort to my usual method of a funny name or a low weight or ruby or Barry for the national..... Leaving us in suspense, I see !!
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP