Rob Heffernan

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Rob Heffernan

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Suprised there wasn't more of a reaction on here about the race this morning.

1st World Championship Gold since Sonia in 1995, 3rd ever Gold on the world stage and he smoked away from the rest for a comprehensive win.

Reading up on it today, the amount of sporting disappointments and personal setbacks this guys has had over his career, this is one of the most deserved medal wins I can think of.

Congrats to Rob Heffernan: World Champion! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Rob Heffernan

Post by hugonaut »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Suprised there wasn't more of a reaction on here about the race this morning.

1st World Championship Gold since Sonia in 1995, 3rd ever Gold on the world stage and he smoked away from the rest for a comprehensive win.

Reading up on it today, the amount of sporting disappointments and personal setbacks this guys has had over his career, this is one of the most deserved medal wins I can think of.

Congrats to Rob Heffernan: World Champion! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
He did great. That event looks pretty close to pure torture to me. The psychological effect of knowing that you can be disqualified for two or three missed steps over 50km must be almost as tough as the physical effort as well.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Rob Heffernan

Post by ceemec »

I'm taken aback at the lack of coverage, to be honest. I didn't even know he had won it until about 9pm last night. Fair play to him to do it possibly in the last major championship of his career.

The race seems to be extremely tactical with mental discipline being a massive factor. Interesting when Heffernan spoke about the younger competitor making the burst and he knew to leave him and that he had him mentally.