World Cup Finals 2014-Brazil

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Another example is Will Hughes, heralded by the press as the one to watch and at 19yrs old had a €12-15m price tag. In the same team you have a 21yr old Irishman by the name of Jeff Hendrick who won young player of the year in 2013. throughout the early part of the season he had been plagued with injury and inconsistency due to tiredness & pressure, he was given a rest and once he got himself sorted he got a chance in the team and stayed there keeping Will Hughes out of the team and going on to score 6 in 8 I think.

But yet again the chances of Will Hughes being at Derby come the start of the season are much slimmer than Jeff's, why? Because he's English and he's believed to be the next Steven Gerrard ;)
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Re: World Cup Finals 2014-Brazil

Post by ichabodscrane »

1-0 to Costa Rica, Bryan Ruiz. Could we be seeing an upset?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ichabodscrane wrote:Another example is Will Hughes, heralded by the press as the one to watch and at 19yrs old had a €12-15m price tag. In the same team you have a 21yr old Irishman by the name of Jeff Hendrick who won young player of the year in 2013. throughout the early part of the season he had been plagued with injury and inconsistency due to tiredness & pressure, he was given a rest and once he got himself sorted he got a chance in the team and stayed there keeping Will Hughes out of the team and going on to score 6 in 8 I think.

But yet again the chances of Will Hughes being at Derby come the start of the season are much slimmer than Jeff's, why? Because he's English and he's believed to be the next Steven Gerrard ;)
Will Hughes was the subject of one of the great putdowns on twitter 18 months ago. Will was less than impressed with the Dylanesque stylings of Jake Bugg, stating that he was "not having all this hype about Jake Bugg #average #dobetter"

Bugg simply replied "You play for Derby".
I have Bumbleflex
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Ha ha, brilliant. What a bad little albino.. I see the hype hasn't gone to his head :)
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Scholesy: ‘England need players with balls’
http://jrnl.ie/1528682

More words by Ginger Spice..
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

ichabodscrane wrote:1-0 to Costa Rica, Bryan Ruiz. Could we be seeing an upset?
Balotelli may regret missing that sitter after about 25 mins (the lob after the superb through-ball by Pirlo).
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Well well well. I wasn't expecting that from Costa Rica. Fair play to them. That's England out anyway. The Italy v Uruguay match will be massive now.

Sad day for the Yaya and Kolo Toure, whose younger brother passed away today
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Lamb of BOD wrote:Well well well. I wasn't expecting that from Costa Rica. Fair play to them. That's England out anyway. The Italy v Uruguay match will be massive now.

Sad day for the Yaya and Kolo Toure, whose younger brother passed away today

Wow went our for a run and found out that Costa Rica won. We have another play off now, first it was Uruguay v England to see who went home and now we have Uruguay v Italy to see who goes through. Brilliant drama! Ballotelli won't be getting kissed by any queens now ;)
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

France looking well, with a bit of room for improvement. Sahko looks a more comfortable player with France. The options they have in midfield are astonishing.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

ichabodscrane wrote:France looking well, with a bit of room for improvement. Sahko looks a more comfortable player with France. The options they have in midfield are astonishing.
France looking decent. Due to meet Germany in the 1/4 final which should be a good match.

Sakho will be a very good player for LFC once he learns the language and settles in to the team. A lot of fans don't like him because he looks awkward but his passes are always accurate and forward.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Avenger wrote: Sakho will be a very good player for LFC once he learns the language and settles in to the team. A lot of fans don't like him because he looks awkward but his passes are always accurate and forward.
One of the main problems for us last season was the lack of communication at the back. An extra year should help everyone.

Back to the World Cup ... France have been the most impressive team for me thus far, but they haven't really played anyone. As you say, their (projected) encounter with Ze Germans should be a corker. Without doing anything spectacular, Germany absolutely destroyed Portugal - who were well beaten even before the sending off. Winning the cup is about peaking at the right time, so France will hope they haven't shot their bolt too early. I'll be looking for an improvement from my sweepstake team, Argentina, at 5 o'clock
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Great game just now with Germany V Ghana.......Cracking 2nd half........hats off to Miroslav Klose....what a record.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Terrific game - well, a terrific second half anyway. I thought Ghana were unlucky not to get the win. Klose didn't wait long after his introduction to nab that record-equalling goal
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Another dismal showing from Argentina.

They are lucky to be in the bottom half of the draw. Sleepwalk their way to semi finals without playing a really top class team - Switzerland in the last 16 and Russia/Belgium/USA/Portugal in the quarters.

If they were in the top half, would they get out of Group A, B or D?
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Busy day in work so didn't get to see much football. I heard on radio 5 live an allegation that Suarez was getting his teeth into a match ... again. If it's true, will he ever learn? On the plus side, that might cool any Spanish interest in him. I'm a little sorry to see Italy going home early, but it's nice to have Costa Rica progressing
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Ouch.
Maybe he's a vampire
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Is anyone watching the panel on RTE? What is up with Kenny Cunningham (sly bacon), why is he soooo angry?

Anyway in regards to Suarez I hope he gets a ban and I'm a Liverpool fan. I think that this may put Barcelona off bidding for him BUT I wouldn't imagine it will put Real Madrid off, they like a little bit of media hype & controversy.

Is he now becoming too much of a hassle for Liverpool?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ichabodscrane wrote:Is anyone watching the panel on RTE? What is up with Kenny Cunningham (sly bacon), why is he soooo angry?

Anyway in regards to Suarez I hope he gets a ban and I'm a Liverpool fan. I think that this may put Barcelona off bidding for him BUT I wouldn't imagine it will put Real Madrid off, they like a little bit of media hype & controversy.

Is he now becoming too much of a hassle for Liverpool?
He's probably angry because none of the other pundits have any time for him.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Another super strike from Messi. I could happily watch him playing keepy-uppy in a park for hours

EDIT: Credit where it's due, a terrific and immediate equaliser for Nigeria