World Cup Finals 2014-Brazil

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

World Cup Finals 2014-Brazil

Post by nelly the elephant »

Well......what kind of tournament are people expecting? I don't expect much of a European challenge tbh.....I would have fancied Uruguay before Suarez's injury...not so sure now.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: World Cup Finals 2014-Brazil

Post by offshorerules »

Hard to see beyond the hosts with Argentina my 2nd favourites.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I don't see Brazil winning it. Very ordinary team and their superstar is completely overrated.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

nelly the elephant wrote:Well......what kind of tournament are people expecting? I don't expect much of a European challenge tbh.....I would have fancied Uruguay before Suarez's injury...not so sure now.
Can't agree with that. Brazil might surf a tide of public emotion, but they just don't have the quality. Argentina the same - they have Messi, but the rest of the team is so-so. Uruguay, its hard to tell how they'll play, but there is are few easier teams in world football to mindfuck and that might cost them.

I can't see beyond a European winner to be honest. Spain have the bones of past squads but have added some players from past successful age grade teams too, and they have the best coach in the business. Italy haven't got great talent, but they could quite conceivably bore the opposition into submission, they've won world cups with worse squads before doing that. Germany, England and France have a chance for the semis too and the Dutch might not have a row.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Outside bet: Belgium
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote:... and the Dutch might not have a row.
Crazytalk!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Avenger wrote:I don't see Brazil winning it. Very ordinary team and their superstar is completely overrated.
Brazil are bookies favourites at 3-1, Argentina next with Germany third at 11-2. Might be worth an e/w punt on Germany.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I go for Germany in every major tournament for no reason other than you always seem to get a good run for your money. I might be putting the kiss of death on them now but they just seem to put their heads down and get on with the football better than many other nations.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Vamos los azules wrote:I go for Germany in every major tournament for no reason other than you always seem to get a good run for your money. I might be putting the kiss of death on them now but they just seem to put their heads down and get on with the football better than many other nations.
A European team has never won in South America and I don't see that changing this time either unless Belgium upset the apple cart

Hard to see beyong Brazil or Argentina no matter how bad they are playing or their squads are...It's in South America
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leoslovechild wrote:
A European team has never won in South America and I don't see that changing this time either unless Belgium upset the apple cart

Hard to see beyong Brazil or Argentina no matter how bad they are playing or their squads are...It's in South America
Theres only been one Final in the modern era in South America and that was 'won' by the most european team on the continent. Things have changed a lot since then, there are no real geographic advantages (except altitude) nowadays as sports science has found ways to combat those traditional advantages. The modern footballer too is a global animal - at anything approaching the top level they'll spend a considerable amount of time travelling the globe for tournaments, promotional work, Continental competitions, international matches or going home during breaks. The day when not being able to get a nice cup of tea put off the visiting team is gone.

European football is the real power, the World Cup suffers in a comparison of quality to the Champions League and even the European Championships. It'll be an all European semi-final lineup, at worst three out of four if Argentina get their sh!t together or Uruguay don't have a nutty (though thats as likely as the Dutch not having a row).
I have Bumbleflex
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Dave Cahill wrote:Outside bet: Belgium
Undoubtedly an extremely talented group of players..........too soon for them though? This is their first qualification for a major finals since 2002.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Leoslovechild wrote:unless Belgium upset the apple cart
If ever a team was set up to fail, its this Belgian team. Everyone is tipping them.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

offshorerules wrote:Brazil are bookies favourites at 3-1
I don't care if they are bookies favourites or that they are the host nation. They are not a good team.
They'll probably have a favourable draw due to being the hosts but as soon as they meet a team that knows what they are doing, they are toast.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Avenger wrote:
If ever a team was set up to fail, its this Belgian team. Everyone is tipping them.

They've plenty of talent, enough to go all the way, but they are callow and all it would take is for a player in training to call another player the wrong name at the wrong time in the wrong language and it'll all go off
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Going with 2 of the old powerhouses in Germany and Italy. Can just picture them sauntering around in formation waiting for an over eager "local" to make a mistake. how many of the last 5 QFs haven't featured 7 out of 8 European teams?. IIRC they've generally only feature 1 South American team across a few climate(Mexico doesn't count).

No to Belgium: Too Dutch/too French
No to Spain: I just don't fancy them
No to Uruguay: Liverpool are better this year than last year and they're better than Uruguay. Whether Liverpool/Uruguay are good or bad Suarez can't win them a trophy
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

paddyor wrote:Going with 2 of the old powerhouses in Germany and Italy. Can just picture them sauntering around in formation waiting for an over eager "local" to make a mistake. how many of the last 5 QFs haven't featured 7 out of 8 European teams?. IIRC they've generally only feature 1 South American team across a few climate(Mexico doesn't count).

No to Belgium: Too Dutch/too French
No to Spain: I just don't fancy them
No to Uruguay: Liverpool are better this year than last year and they're better than Uruguay. Whether Liverpool/Uruguay are good or bad Suarez can't win them a trophy
Yeah, Europeans have dominated the business end of the last few world cups. I'm actually excited now and I've barely had a chance to watch soccer in years.

Oh, and Mexico doesn't count as South American as it's in North America.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Memories of Enzo Scifo (sp?) in 86. They got to the semis iirc - I was rooting for them in that tournament with Norn Iron.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Avenger wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking along similar lines. They've a brilliant side on paper and obviously did well in qualifying but I wouldn't trust guys like Hazard and Fellaini to actually perform. Someone like Vermaelan sounds good on paper too but realistically, is he up to much? Verthingen too is a lovely footballer but prone to mistakes.

My scepticism regarding Hazard might be harsh but there's something about him that I just can't warm to. Seen him do some brilliant things for Chelsea but then be anonymous in far too many games, just not a fan. Lukaku could tear it up for them though, huge fan of him and he'll make life he'll for whoever he plays against. Seems very tough mentally and very driven to me, wont let up unlike some of his team mates. Also think Jamuzaj could do well for them off the bench, rarely failed to improve United even when his form wasn't as good after Christmas. Overall I just don't think they'll perform but they do have an easy group so should make it through to the knockouts anyway.

No idea who will win but am picking Portugal as a dark horse. Ronaldo's performance in Sweden was one of the best I've ever seen and he really seemed like a man on a mission. He could make up for some of their other deficiencies. Even with their tough group, he could drag them out of it.

I'll plump for Spain though. Xavi's demise will be a major hindrance but I think they've added pace, have improved in defence, had two teams in the CL final, and have better strikers (if they need them) than they've had for years.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

jezzer wrote:
Memories of Enzo Scifo (sp?) in 86. They got to the semis iirc - I was rooting for them in that tournament with Norn Iron.
That was a great tournament.
I was rooting for Denmark..remember that Danish team of the 80's and early 90's? Great side. They played great stuff through the tournament and then had a bad day against Spain, going from 1-0 up to getting battered 5-1. Speaking of Belgium, one of the best games was the play-off game Belgium Vs USSR, 2-2 at 90mins and 4-3 at the end. Probably the last really good World Cup tournament.
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Great piece by Scott Murray in the Grauniad about the classic 1982 clash between West Germany and France

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... -battiston
I have Bumbleflex