US Open

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

US Open

Post by jezzer »

Rarely bet, but put a few in on the Open for the crazy sporting weekend that's in it.

Brandt Snedeker has had a horrible year, but his putting is top class, which is needed at Pinehurst. I had him on my betslip and at the last minute swapped him out for Spieth, just a bit worried about Snedeker's frame of mind. Naturally enough Brandt has gone -2 after five on Day 1, clearly has his game face on. Grrrrr...

Have Furyk, Donald and Spieth as e/w bets. Was actually tempted to go with Furyk as outright winner - I think this course will suit him brilliantly, even if he isn't the longest hitter.

Thoughts on the course and how it'll play out?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: US Open

Post by cormac »

jezzer wrote:Rarely bet, but put a few in on the Open for the crazy sporting weekend that's in it.

Brandt Snedeker has had a horrible year, but his putting is top class, which is needed at Pinehurst. I had him on my betslip and at the last minute swapped him out for Spieth, just a bit worried about Snedeker's frame of mind. Naturally enough Brandt has gone -2 after five on Day 1, clearly has his game face on. Grrrrr...

Have Furyk, Donald and Spieth as e/w bets. Was actually tempted to go with Furyk as outright winner - I think this course will suit him brilliantly, even if he isn't the longest hitter.

Thoughts on the course and how it'll play out?
Love the look of the course. It can play extremely long though, 7500+ yards par 70 is long, even by pro standards. The greens on this course are what make it though, they're huge but you can't go anywhere near the edges as your ball will roll off. A top-notch and inventive short game will be required.

Fairways are very generous by US Open standards. Any shots missing it will lead to a complete lottery as there are some awful spots in that scrubland.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: US Open

Post by jezzer »

Kaymer running away with it. 8 shots clear, though some of the big guns yet to tee off their second rounds. Looks a tall order for anyone to haul him in today though. He'll have to have a wobble before this tournament becomes competitive again.