West Ham United

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

West Ham United

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Just like to point out that West Ham are currently top of the Premiership. Got to gloat while I still can :lol:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Re: West Ham United

Post by Uncle Mort »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Just like to point out that West Ham are currently top of the Premiership. Got to gloat while I still can :lol:
There really is something seriously wrong with you!! :evil:

As it happens my school (ok I left in 1983 but it's still the same) playing field is next door to the West Ham Training Ground.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Uncle Mort wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:Just like to point out that West Ham are currently top of the Premiership. Got to gloat while I still can :lol:

As it happens my school (ok I left in 1983 but it's still the same) playing field is next door to the West Ham Training Ground.
In Chadwell Heath? I worked in the Barking & Havering VO in mid 80s.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:

In Chadwell Heath? I worked in the Barking & Havering VO in mid 80s.
VO?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Valuation Office
A proud Winsome Fluter
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Valuation Office
Excuse my ignorance and I'll try not to extract this one bit at a time but

What is the Barking and Havering VO? Where is it based? Is it Government, Local Authority? What does it do? Where were you living? Anything else helpful and relevant to this?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Grumpy at work in the Valuation Office. No wonder he occasionally loses his balance.... :wink:

Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Uncle Mort wrote:

What is the Barking and Havering VO? Where is it based? Is it Government, Local Authority? What does it do? Where were you living? Anything else helpful and relevant to this?
Not particularly, forget it.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Grumpy at work in the Valuation Office. No wonder he occasionally loses his balance.... :wink:

Chairs, chairs were a luxury. You had to work there five years to get desk, then 15 to get chair.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:

No - I'm interested - Havering is my mannor squire.

You're right when you say that the WHU training ground was in Chadwell Heath which was actually part of LB Redbridge but the fence was the boundary with Havering.

So where were you based / live etc?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Uncle Mort wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote: Excuse my ignorance and I'll try not to extract this one bit at a time but

No - I'm interested - Havering is my mannor squire.

You're right when you say that the WHU training ground was in Chadwell Heath which was actually part of LB Redbridge but the fence was the boundary with Havering.

So where were you based / live etc?
Have pm'd you.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says he suffered horrible taunts on his return to West Ham, being called "Tumour Boy" by some Hammers' fans. (Daily Mirror) :shock: :shock: :shock:
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Flash Gordon wrote:Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says he suffered horrible taunts on his return to West Ham, being called "Tumour Boy" by some Hammers' fans. (Daily Mirror) :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have it on rock solid authority that when Roeder finally lost it and turned on the crowd he was actually shown a gun by one of the West Ham 'fans' and told to 'sit down and shut the fack up'. He did. :shock:
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duke Raoul wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says he suffered horrible taunts on his return to West Ham, being called "Tumour Boy" by some Hammers' fans. (Daily Mirror) :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have it on rock solid authority that when Roeder finally lost it and turned on the crowd he was actually shown a gun by one of the West Ham 'fans' and told to 'sit down and shut the fack up'. He did. :shock:
Jesus H. What a story. I used to go down to watch the Hammers regularly when I was living in London and it was always great craic. Not sure I'd venture out East anymore after hearing that! :roll:
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

The last time I was at the Boleyn West Ham were playing Brighton in the Championship and it was utter carnage.

The usual homophobic chants at the Brighton fans, two lads from the main stand charging the away end by running across the pitch in the middle of the game, and then a bobby getting his nose broken with a well placed headbutt.

The piéce de resistance however was when Brighton scored to go one up and the corporate hospitality box containing some of their directors was invaded. Some guy in a suit got his head split open by a thug wielding a mobile phone!

At the end of the game the Irons were on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline but everyone around me left happy because, as the lad beside me put it "that was like the facking old days". I just nodded dumbly and smiled.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duke Raoul wrote:The last time I was at the Boleyn West Ham were playing Brighton in the Championship and it was utter carnage.

The usual homophobic chants at the Brighton fans, two lads from the main stand charging the away end by running across the pitch in the middle of the game, and then a bobby getting his nose broken with a well placed headbutt.

The piéce de resistance however was when Brighton scored to go one up and the corporate hospitality box containing some of their directors was invaded. Some guy in a suit got his head split open by a thug wielding a mobile phone!

At the end of the game the Irons were on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline but everyone around me left happy because, as the lad beside me put it "that was like the facking old days". I just nodded dumbly and smiled.
Good job he didn't hear your accent.......very sad to hear that. I used to stand back then and the atmosphere and banter were fantastic. Also been there as a visiting Sheffield United fan and had no issues.

Real shame....
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

I'd been for Premiership games myself and not a hint of malevolence about the place. As you said the banter and atmosphere are fantastic down there.

I think really it was just that Championship season that things got really out of control. The sheer frustration about the place was palpable. No excuse though having said that.

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

I used go there a lot in the mid 80s and was worried only once, when they played Chelsea. IIRC it was a midweek game, under lights. The atmosphere was poisonous. Quite surprised about what Duke is saying above - especially as he is a Liverpool supporter :wink:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:I used go there a lot in the mid 80s and was worried only once, when they played Chelsea. IIRC it was a midweek game, under lights. The atmosphere was poisonous. Quite surprised about what Duke is saying above - especially as he is a Liverpool supporter :wink:
If we disagree will your firm come tooled up to fack us abaaat a bit?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:I used go there a lot in the mid 80s and was worried only once, when they played Chelsea. IIRC it was a midweek game, under lights. The atmosphere was poisonous. Quite surprised about what Duke is saying above - especially as he is a Liverpool supporter :wink:
If we disagree will your firm come tooled up to fack us abaaat a bit?

I'm a Blade but always went to Upton Park cos my mate was an Iron and I didn't want to jump on one of the glamour club bandwagons. As a Sheffield United fan, I struggle with the concept of "success".