for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: West Ham United

Post by sarah_lennon »

HAMMERS RELEASE LJUNGBERG
Football 365

West Ham have come to an agreement with Fredrik Ljungberg to terminate his contract.

Ljungberg made 25 starts for the Hammers after his £3million move from Arsenal last summer.

A statement on West Ham's website said Ljungberg is now deciding whether to retire or follow up interest from clubs in Asia and the USA
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Admiral Badger
Knowledgeable

Post by Admiral Badger »

PAH £6 MILLION TO CONVINCE A PLAYER TO LEAVE, SMALL CHANGE.

The stupid thing is, he would have featured in the first team this season, he was excellent for the first half of last season. This transfer (and it's 15 game clause) was the sole reason Eggert Magnusson got sacked.

:shock:
Bunty Chalmers RIP
3.52pm 18th July 2007.

He lived to give.

VOTE ZOD !
http://www.zod2008.com/
http://generalzod28.wordpress.com/2011/ ... d-in-2012/
Hammerhead
Learner

Post by Hammerhead »

I like Freddie but he wasnt very popular with Hammers fans in general - I went to a match in April last year and every time he touched the ball, a large section of the crowd (in the Bobby Moore Stand) were booing and calling him every name under the sun. Ironically, he crossed a great ball for the winner. Hope he does well wherever he goes.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

From the Fiver!

THE SAD TALE OF ALAN OF BOLEYN

The following diaries were found in the back of a Pwopah Lahn Boozer; they are believed to chart Captain Llewellyn Charles 'Alan'
Curbishley's doomed attempts to lead West Ham United to ninth in the Premier League.

December 16, 2006: My first day in charge! The weather is fearful cold and the natives colourful, but I fully believe - with the grace of God - I can lead my group of 'Hammers' to safety.

May 13 2007: The expedition a fine success so far. We travelled to Manchester today and won a tremendous victory. Young Tevez a revelation, he has a curious slack-jawed aspect but is a fine player for someone not born in the Empire. What is strange about this land is that although far to the north, most of the natives speak as if they are from the Home Counties.

August 8 2007: Dreadful news. Tevez has been moved to Manchester. A fearful blow, but have recruited Craig Bellamy, Fredrik Ljungberg, Kieron Dyer, Julien Faubert and Nolberto Solano. With a reliable crew like this we will make the ninth place yet!

January 2008: Intolerable conditions. Faubert, Ljungberg, Dyer and Solano have succumbed to dropsy, scurvy, mania, Elephantiasis, Sweating Disease and Western Itch. Our advance scout Ashton is only able to advance at 4mph, and that's at a fair clip. Mustn't show my strain to the crew: the only solution is to stand on the sidelines, expressionless, doing my best to look vertically dead.

May 2008: Have managed to drop anchor in 10th place, more than respectable in times past, but I fear the natives will not take this even though we are a crew of modest means and have been ravaged with injuries and every other club in the Premier League is owned by some billionaire with GBP500m to burn on getting his club an Intertoto place.

August 27 2008: More sad events. Anton Ferdinand was last seen wandering to the far north. I fear we will not see him again.

August 28 2008: Madness. The natives have been yammering outside my tent all night despite the fact that we beat Macclesfield 4-1. I have issued this statement; "I understand the responsibility that comes with being West Ham manager but the supporters have to realise the effect it has when they're not behind us." We will never see ninth place. I am going out to face them now. I may be some time.
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

8-2 in a week. West Ham "fans" are a growing joke. They want the manager out for a coke-snorting Mr. 10% like Bilic, who would make the club a laughing stock. I've been following the club since 1976 and sincerely hope the manager stays a while longer. There was a time when John Lyall was the longest serving boss in the league and West Ham had the lowest turnover in managers after WWII, but now, the club expects the heady days of the mid-80's where the greats from the late-70's early 80's went ragng into the night while young guns like Cottee and McAvennie gave Ray Stewart something to swing his crosses into. Those days are never coming back!
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Curbishley gone.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

By Simon Austin

Alan Curbishley has resigned as manager of Premier League club West Ham United.

Curbishley tendered his resignation on Wednesday and it was accepted by West Ham owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson.

The former Charlton boss had grown disillusioned at the club's transfer policy, which had led to the sales of Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney.

A statement on the club's website read: "We can confirm we have accepted Alan's resignation as it is in the best interests of both parties."

The statement added: "We wish Alan all the success in the future. A shortlist of candidates is being drawn up and an announcement will be made in due course about the new manager."

West Ham also moved to justify the summer departures of Ferdinand and McCartney, stating that the sales were "right for the club" and "based on our best long-term interests".

"In the past week, agreement could not be reached with Ferdinand on a new contract to replace his original deal that had just two years left to run," the club added.

"(And) McCartney handed in a formal written transfer request after failing to resolve his personal reasons for wanting a move away."

Curbishley took over at West Ham in December 2006 and was promised significant transfer funds to help achieve the objective of qualifying for the Champions League within five years.

He signed the likes of Kieron Dyer, Lucas Neill and Freddie Ljungberg during a summer of lavish spending in 2007, but his terms of reference had clearly changed this summer.

Gudmundsson told Curbishley he had to reduce the club's wage bill and that money was to be focused on training and medical facilities rather than signings.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

Hammerhead and I are disgusted :evil:
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

The media here in Croatia has exploded with "Bilic for London" in the past hour or so, with the man himself makng a statement from the Cro teams training camp at 9pm local time. I hope that the West Ham board will not folow Sky's wishes and take on board a man who is not only overrated but dangerous to have in a club. If he arrives at West Ham it won't be worth being a fan.
Admiral Badger
Knowledgeable

Post by Admiral Badger »

Am absolutely digusted with the club, and the carry on of the previous Terry Brown behaviour by BG.

Curbishley was a Canning town man, loved the club, took us over when we were the bookmakers had us at 1/10 to be relegated, kept us up, carried a half injury devasted squad to a magnificent 10th place in the league last season. The club never supported him either financially or publicly, sold players behind his back, released players that would have been definite starters without consulting him, and finally, sold the only left full back at the club without even informing him of the decision and made the man look a fool on the tv when he gave his word twice in two weeks that no one would be leaving the club, Anton and then George left the following day on successive weeks.

Now we have the idiot Bilic who was wrapped up as manager last Tuesday week as the replacement despite Alan still being in the job, the same Bilic who seems to forget that we remember his previous acts of loyalty to "the club he loves" (a mantra he has been spewing for a year now), despite him orchestrating a move to Everton when we were deep in the mire of a relegation battle, the only reason he stayed (kicking and screaming) was because Redknapp refused to sanction the deal until seasons end unless Bilic agreed to waive his remaining contract payoff, which he refused to do. A clueless fool who has never managed a club at any level, and will be out of the West Ham job once a paycheck with an extra zero comes calling.

To say I am more despondent now in all my years following West Ham is an understatement, Thank God I did not renew my season ticket as I would be returning it to them if I had.

Sadly though, I'll still keep following them.

IRONS.
Bunty Chalmers RIP
3.52pm 18th July 2007.

He lived to give.

VOTE ZOD !
Hammerhead
Learner

Post by Hammerhead »

Disgusted with the Board - back to the days of Terry Brown Im afraid. :(
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

The rumour here in Croatia is that the whole thing is a conspiracy against Croatia. It's not untypical of the country, especially in football circles. But since most people can check the internet they can find that there are proper candidates for the Hmmers job in the pipeline.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Gerard Houllier :shock:
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

Avram Grant is on the longlist, Donadoni too! The scariest of all is that nazi saluting headcase Di Canio wants to be considered. I'd like to see someone from a lower league in, Rosenior or maybe a complete outsider like Advocaat (an outsider because he's not likely to give up EuroLeague football for a midtable battling side).
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

09/09/2008 - 06:58:30
West Ham are today expected to start talks with Gianfranco Zola with a view to appointing the Italian as the club’s new manager.

Zola remains the clear favourite to succeed Alan Curbishley after the club’s board yesterday ruled out Slaven Bilic’s claims.

The club’s directors are understood to have made Zola, 42, their top choice narrowly ahead of fellow Italian Roberto Donadoni.

West Ham will look to complete talks as soon as possible but may face a slight delay – the former Chelsea midfielder is joint coach of the Italy Under-21 side and they are in action in Croatia tonight.

It is understood Zola’s years of experience in the Premier League have given him the slight edge over Donadoni, the former Italy coach who resigned from that job after a disappointing Euro 2008 campaign.

Donadoni still remains in the frame in the unlikely event a deal is not clinched with Zola, but Bilic is out of the running.

West Ham hope they will unveil their first foreign manager at a news conference on Thursday.

Bilic’s hopes of succeeding Alan Curbishley foundered on the complications surrounding his release from his current job as coach of Croatia, though he was never top of West Ham’s wish list.

Kia Joorabchian, who works as an advisor to West Ham, said both Zola and Donadoni had impressed.

He told Sky Sports News: “Zola has a lot of experience in the Premier League, he was admired by every fan in the league irrespective of which club they supported.

“He has built a big reputation for himself in Italy. He hasn’t Premier League experience as a manager but he understands the Premier League very much.

“But Donadoni has vast experience and is a good candidate.

“They are moving fast. They would like to appoint a new manager before the weekend but it is a process they will consider carefully.

“It is a different system, a more European system of working and it will be a manager who will be working under that style in order to minimise and avoid errors which have occurred in the past.”
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Cheating Irons. :evil: Assume that the Blades will now be restored to their rightful place in the Premier League and West Ham demoted. Particularly after the Blades proved our worth by holding the Arsenal U-12's to just the 6 goals last night.....

West Ham ponder tribunal ruling

Tevez's goals helped West Ham avoid relegation in 2006-07
West Ham say they will take legal advice as they consider whether to appeal against an independent tribunal hearing into the Carlos Tevez affair.

The tribunal has ruled against West Ham over the Tevez affair, according to Sheffield United chairman Kevin McCabe.

United claim Tevez was not eligible to play at the end of the 2006/7 season, yet played a key role in West Ham's Premiership survival at their expense.

The club is claiming more than £30m in compensation from West Ham.

The tribunal will decide on the amount of compensation to be paid at a later sitting, probably early next year.

West Ham will now take legal advice before deciding on their next move.

"The club need to digest the full findings of the arbitration panel and will consult lawyers before considering the next steps that we might tackle on this matter," the club said in a statement.

It's justice eventually. Thankfully it has gone to an independent tribunal, they've listened to all the facts and the truth has finally come out

Former Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock
West Ham insisted in the statement that the potential outcome of the hearing and compensation they might have to pay had nothing to do with the summer transfers of Anton Ferdinand, George McCartney, Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil.

"With regard to the club's transfer activity this summer, we made no assumptions in terms of the arbitration panel and were only informed of the ruling on Friday," the club said.

"The only considerations taken into account were our previously stated aims of improving the first team with top-quality players.

"We are delighted with the signings made and furthermore the club were able to reject a number of significant bids for first-team players during the summer."

The Football Association's rule K5c states that by signing up to arbitration, "the parties shall be deemed to have waived irrevocably any right to appeal, review or any recourse to a court of law".

This precludes the right to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and only a very limited ability to challenge the merits of the award in the Commercial Court.

West Ham were found guilty last April of acting improperly and withholding vital documentation over the ownership of Argentine duo Tevez and Javier Mascherano when they signed in 2006.
A three-man Premier League arbitration panel fined the Hammers £5.5m, but did not dock them points, and they went on to survive the drop on the final day, while Sheffield United were relegated.

Having failed in their attempt to have the original punishment overturned, the Yorkshire club invoked a Football Association rule that allows clubs with a legal dispute to go before an independent tribunal.

McCabe told his club's official website: "I can confirm that both clubs have been notified of the ruling. The arbitration panel has awarded in our favour.

"The matter is still legally in process so I do not wish to comment any further until we have completed that process."

A club statement added: "The Blades began their legal fight for reinstatement some 16 months ago, which also included an arbitration hearing against the Premier League.

For clarity, the FA did not sit in judgement on this case, did not have any influence on the decision and did not appoint any of the tribunal members

FA statement
"This award could now pose a question as to what the Premier League will do."

Neil Warnock, who was manager of the Blades during the 2006/7 season and is now at Crystal Palace, told BBC Sport: "It's justice eventually. Thankfully it has gone to an independent tribunal, they've listened to all the facts and the truth has finally come out."

Sheffield United's claim was considered by former MCC president Lord Griffiths, Sir Anthony Colman, a former High Court judge, and Robert Englehart QC.

The Football Association emphasised that the process had been independent and that it "did not sit in judgement on this case...have any influence on the decision (or) appoint any of the tribunal members."

Tevez and Mascherano, who now play for Manchester United and Liverpool respectively, were brought to Upton Park from Brazilian club Corinthians on the final day of the 2006 summer transfer window.

With nine matches remaining in the 2006/07 season, West Ham were rooted to the bottom of the Premier League and 10 points adrift of safety, while Sheffield United were two places above the drop zone.

Tevez scored five goals after this, including the winner against Manchester United at Old Trafford on the final day of the season, to secure West Ham's survival.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Admiral Badger
Knowledgeable

Post by Admiral Badger »

:roll:
Bunty Chalmers RIP
3.52pm 18th July 2007.

He lived to give.

VOTE ZOD !
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

It gets better and better..... :wink:

Sheff Utd players may sue Hammers
By Frank Keogh

Tevez's goals helped West Ham avoid relegation in 2006-07
West Ham could face legal action over the Carlos Tevez affair from players relegated with Sheffield United.
At least 10 players, who suffered financially after relegation in 2007, approached lawyers with a view to claiming compensation from the Hammers.

Lawyer Chris Farnell said: "I've been contacted by various players with a view to looking at this claim but at this stage I can say no more."

Sheffield United are already demanding £30m compensation from the London club.
It emerged earlier in the week that an independent tribunal had ruled against West Ham in the Tevez case.
The Hammers plan an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
606: DEBATE
Tell us what you think about the latest twist in the Tevez saga
The Blades claim Tevez was not eligible to play at the end of the 2006/07 season, when he played a key role in West Ham's top-flight survival at their expense.

Past and present players have held discussions with Farnell, of the Manchester-based firm IPS Law.
It is understood they could claim for lost earnings running into millions of pounds.
The latest development comes in a troubled week for West Ham.
New boss Gianfranco Zola saw his team, who are sixth in the Premier League, knocked out of the Carling Cup by Championship side Watford.

The tribunal ruling came as the club is still searching for a new shirt sponsor following the collapse of travel firm XL Holidays.

Striker Carlton Cole was arrested by police in central London at 0425 BST on Tuesday on suspicion of drink-driving.
And forward Dean Ashton could be out for a month as he requires ankle surgery.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Hammerhead
Learner

Post by Hammerhead »

It gets better ......
Yeah it does :lol:
Hammerhead
Learner

Post by Hammerhead »

Im forever blowing bubbles .... :D