The Demise of Leeds United

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

The Demise of Leeds United

Post by sarah_lennon »

From Champion's League Semi Finalists in 2001 to obscurity. How not to run a football club!

Leeds 'may not start next season'
Ken Bates has already warned that the club's future is in jeopardy
There is now a real danger that Leeds United will not be able to start the new football league season, their administrators KPMG have warned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6277752.stm
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
zenbren
Knowledgeable

Post by zenbren »

Are some T14 settin themselves up for a similar fall?
I've let myself and others down
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

As a life long Leeds fan this whole situation really P*sses me off. The fact that leeds were relegated is immaterial your either a fan or your not. But the fact that ken Bates can buy Leeds for next to nothing when he clearly has no passion or interest in the club is wrong. He has set this situation up from day 1, his intention was always to put the club into administration & buy it back for nothing.

The revenue commissioners clearly have seen this and are entitled to seek a better deal, when there are other interested paries who are willing to pay more. KPMG's role in this whole thing must also be questioned.

Hopefully Leeds get a reprieve to start the season & new owners can be found in order for the club to try & battle their way back up the divisions.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

From the BBC website:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debt-ridden Leeds put up for sale

The future of Leeds United is again in doubt after the club was put up for sale by its administrator.
KPMG said that it had made the decision because of a challenge by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) over the £7.7m it is owed by the Yorkshire
club.
Former chairman Ken Bates had proposed to take Leeds out of administration, repaying creditors eight pence in every pound that it owed.
A deadline for offers has been set of 1700 BST on Monday.
"We are interested in talking to other parties," confirmed a KPMG spokesman.
The administrator had earlier warned that there was now a danger the club would be unable to start the new season.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silly punt, if they do go bust, you can do what most of the other Leeds United supporters are doing an go and support the Leeds Rhinos (Rugby League), for some strange reason, ever since the demise of Leeds United started, attendances at Headingley went up drastically, it's a real mystery as to why that is though! :wink:
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Leinster Zulu wrote:From the BBC website:

The future of Leeds United is again in doubt after the club was put up for sale by its administrator.
KPMG said that it had made the decision because of a challenge by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) over the £7.7m it is owed by the Yorkshire
club.
Former chairman Ken Bates had proposed to take Leeds out of administration, repaying creditors eight pence in every pound that it owed.
The administrator had earlier warned that there was now a danger the club would be unable to start the new season.

Silly punt, if they do go bust, you can do what most of the other Leeds United supporters are doing an go and support the Leeds Rhinos (Rugby League), for some strange reason, ever since the demise of Leeds United started, attendances at Headingley went up drastically, it's a real mystery as to why that is though! :wink:
It's because Rugby League, has always been the main game of the proletariate in Leeds (and in most parts of Yorkshire) :!: :!:
T - 45
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Leinster Zulu wrote:From the BBC website:

club.

Funny you mention that the Rhinos had a great win on Friday away to St Helens. But in fairness bad & all as Leeds United are I could never endure a full season of Rugby League.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Leeds United resold to Ken Bates

Ken Bates had warned that the club's future was in jeopardy
Leeds United has been resold to former owner Ken Bates for an undisclosed sum.
The move comes five days after Leeds' administrators, KPMG, said they were selling the club because of a legal challenge from HM Revenue & Customs.

HM Revenue & Customs had mounted a legal bid to block Mr Bates' earlier attempt to buy back the club and give its creditors just 8p in every £1.

It is currently unknown how much of Leeds United's £35m debt Mr Bates now intends to pay off.

KPMG had earlier said that unless the club was able to leave administration, the Football League may not let it start the season.

Well thats it, what odds on Bates selling Leeds for a serioous profit within 12 months!!!!
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Demise of Leeds United

Post by combatlogo »

sarah_lennon wrote:From Champion's League Semi Finalists in 2001 to obscurity. How not to run a football club!
If only something similar happened to Cesspool, life would be grand - -a management double act of Souness and Roy Evans would be a good start!!! :lol:
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The Demise of Leeds United

Post by sarah_lennon »

combatlogo wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:From Champion's League Semi Finalists in 2001 to obscurity. How not to run a football club!
If only something similar happened to Cesspool, life would be grand - -a management double act of Souness and Roy Evans would be a good start!!! :lol:
Differnce is we went two steps further
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

League Two Beckons

Leeds lose points penalty appeal

Bates is unhappy with the 15-point deduction
Leeds have lost their appeal against a 15-point deduction for the start of the new season following a breach of the Football League's insolvency policy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 937521.stm
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

sarah_lennon wrote:League Two Beckons

Leeds lose points penalty appeal

Bates is unhappy with the 15-point deduction
Leeds have lost their appeal against a 15-point deduction for the start of the new season following a breach of the Football League's insolvency policy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 937521.stm
Only -12 now after a the 2-1 destruction of the other team in Merseyside.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Apparently there were over 3,000 travelling Leeds United supporters in Prenton Park (Tranmere Rovers) on Saturday. You won't get that amount of travelling supporters in League 1 every day! :shock:
CrapFullBack
Bookworm

Post by CrapFullBack »

3 wins in a week (2 league, 1 cup) - points deficit down to -9.

24,000+ at Elland Rd yesterday for the 4-1 win against Southend.

"Marching on together....."
Come visit and see for yourself!
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

had a season ticket till about 3 years ago there was some great times and some great chants aswell

Posh Spice is a slapper,
She wears a big fat jewel,
And when she's shagging Beckham,
She thinks of Harry Kewell!

When I was just a little boy,
I asked mother what should I be
should I be Chelsea
should I be Leeds?
here's what she said to me:
wash your mouth out, son, and go get your father's gun,
and shoot the Chelsea scum,
shoot the Chelsea scum.
WE HATE CHELSEA, WE HATE CHELSEA!

Brooklyn Beckham is illegitimate
he aint got no birth certificate
his mums a whore and his dads an idiot,
poor old Brooklyn Beckham!

We've won the league,
We've won the cup,
We've been to Europe too,
We're here today,
We're here to stay,
We're here to fight for Leeds
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

future international wrote:When I was just a little boy,
I asked mother what should I be
should I be Chelsea (Villa)
should I be Leeds? (Blues)
here's what she said to me:
wash your mouth out, son, and go get your father's gun,
and shoot the Chelsea (Villa) scum,
shoot the Chelsea (Villa) scum.
WE HATE CHELSEA (VILLA), WE HATE CHELSEA (VILLA)!
Birmingham City fans have sung that one many a time; the words the Blues fans sing it with are in, you guessed it, blue. Although most of the time we sing "Sh!t on Villa"...
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

-9 and rising at this rate we could be off the bottom of the table by the end of September.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Strange to see that the author of the demise, Peter Ridsdale, has landed Cardiff City in the sh!t. There was a piece last week which stated that he was in an agrument with one of the Bluebirds debtors over a £30 million debt. He stated that they agreed that it be written down to £15 million, they disagreed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I wonder if the Bluebirds will have to make do with playing the likes of Barry Town and Afan Lido in a couple of seasons. At least they should qualify fro Europe every year :lol: :lol: :lol:
T - 45
Shayter
Beginner

Post by Shayter »

24K+ gate biggest outside premier league for last weekend
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Shayter wrote:24K+ gate biggest outside premier league for last weekend
It was the fifth biggest attendance in England last weekend, bigger than six Premier League gates! :shock:
Psycho B
Graduate

Post by Psycho B »

It's funny how Leeds Supporters are always very quiet about who they support! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: