for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: NFL

Post by Avenger »

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/foot ... position=7

Source: Pats employee filmed Rams

PHOENIX - One night before the Patriots face the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, new allegations have emerged about a Patriots employee taping the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI.

According to a source, a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game. The next day, the Patriots upset St. Louis, 20-17, on a last-second field goal by Adam Vinatieri for their first championship.

A walkthrough involves practicing plays at reduced speed without contact or pads. It is common for teams to film their own walkthroughs and practices.

When contacted last night, Patriots vice president of media relations Stacey James said: “The coaches have no knowledge of it.”

Yesterday, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) stated that he plans to summon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before Congress to explain why he destroyed tapes that showed the Patriots stealing defensive signals over the last two years.

After his state of the NFL press conference yesterday, Goodell was asked if the league’s investigation into the Pats included allegations that they recorded the Rams walkthrough in 2002.

“I’m not aware of that,” Goodell said.

“We have no information on that,” seconded NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

According to a source close to the team during the 2001 season, here’s what happened. On Feb. 2, 2002, one day before the Patriots’ Super Bowl game against heavily favored St. Louis in New Orleans, the Patriots visited the Superdome for their final walkthrough.

After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.

It’s not known what the cameraman did with the tape from there. It’s also not known if he made the recording on his own initiative or if he was instructed to make the recording by someone with the Patriots or anyone else.

The next day, the Patriots opened a 14-3 halftime lead on the Rams, who were 14-point favorites and operators of an offense known as “The Greatest Show on Turf.”

The Rams didn’t begin moving the ball until the fourth quarter, when their 14-point rally pulled the teams into a 17-17 tie with less than two minutes remaining. Tom Brady then led the most famous drive in Patriots history for the winning field goal.

The Patriots were fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft pick for breaking league policy and filming the Jets’ defensive signals from the sideline in September.

Asked yesterday if he believed the Pats used similar films to achieve their three Super Bowl victories, Goodell was adamant.

“No,” he said. “There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories.”
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

I fell asleep with 5 mins left on the clock.....

Woke up when the Pats scored to go 14 - 10 up and then fell asleep again.

Woke up with 1 sec on the clock and Eli was just about to take a knee.

I can't believe i stayed up for 5 hours to fall asleep right at the death..

I'm gutted...... :cry: :cry:
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

General Collins wrote:I can't believe i stayed up for 5 hours to fall asleep right at the death..

That's a bummer. I managed to stay awake for the whole thing which I was amazed at as I was at a stag weekend and was wrecked before the game even started. Delighted I got to see it. Was a good game with a great climax.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

thecoolfreak wrote:Definitly worth waiting up for. That play Manning was awesome and the catch...... well what can i say!!
David Tyree will be going down in NFL history alongside Franco Harris* and John Taylor. An utterly amazing play. I can still hardly believe that he came down with it. Dumb play by Harrison going for the interception though.

Fair play to Manning too of course. From the fifth worst QB in the regular season to the King of the Playoffs. Mr. February indeed.

BBC's coverage was lightyears ahead of Sky's I thought. Getting Rod Woodson in was quite the coup.

* That was never a f%~king catch.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

BBC's coverage was lightyears ahead of Sky's I thought. Getting Rod Woodson in was quite the coup.
Definitely agree with that.I was pleasantly surprised by their coverage. Much, much better than Sky
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Can I just say that the ads during the Super Bowl were a serious disappointment. And as for Tom Petty as the half-time entertainment? :roll:
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
jedifart
Knowledgeable

Post by jedifart »

General Collins wrote:I fell asleep with 5 mins left on the clock.....

Woke up when the Pats scored to go 14 - 10 up and then fell asleep again.

Woke up with 1 sec on the clock and Eli was just about to take a knee.

I can't believe i stayed up for 5 hours to fall asleep right at the death..

The exact same thing happened to me with the RWC final in '03. I'd just finished a week of night shifts, and was always going to struggle to keep the eyes open anyway, not to say through extra time as well. I remember up to about halfway through the 2nd half of extra time, and missed all that happened after. :evil:
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

You know it's like that, and that's the way it is.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

are the raiders a force again? It'll be interesting to see.

Also see how matt "ice" ryan will do at atlanta. He'll definitely be a better PR story than michael "bad newz kennelz" vick
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

A lot of talent in Silver and Black this year Tate. Unfortunately little of it is along the defensive front and so teams are probably gonna be able to run all over us yet again. Al seems to be of the belief that with Asomoghu and Hall capable of going man to man in the corners we'll be able to flood the box with LBs Howard and Morrisson and even Djibril Wilson. Draft LT for your fantasy team would be my thought though... :(

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Just got me tickets to the Chargers Saints game in Wembley later in the year :D
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Sad to see Favre in anything other than a Packers uniform...... :(

Big gamble by the Cheeseheads in refusing his return, the guy proed again last season that he still has the goods....
BBC wrote: BBC SPORT
Favre to resume career with Jets

Green Bay have confirmed they have agreed to trade veteran quarterback Brett Favre to the New York Jets.

The deal brings an end to the tussle between the NFL great and the Packers after the 38-year-old confirmed he was reversing his decision to retire.

Favre's return threw the team's plans for the new season into confusion, with Aaron Rodgers slated to start at QB.

He joins the Jets in return for a pick in the NFL draft - the more games he plays the higher the choice will be.

Jets chairman Woody Johnson said: "I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform.

"He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible team on the field."

The Packers said in a statement: "Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and we owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state.

"It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organisation forward in the most positive way possible."

The NFL's all-time leader in touchdown passes (442) and passing yards (61,655), Favre walked away from the sport at the end of last season after leading Green Bay to a 13-3 record and the NFC title game.

The Packers had previously offered Favre a 10-year marketing deal worth more than $20m to remain in retirement, but the three-time league MVP opted to re-launch his career and was reinstated by the NFL on Monday.

He arrived at Packers camp this week and met with coach Mike McCarthy, who concluded that Favre was not in the right "mindset" to continue playing in Green Bay.

Favre, who started 275 consecutive regular season and play-off games, broke NFL records in his final campaign for pass completions (5,377) and games with at least three touchdown passes (63).

The Jets, who finished 4-12 last season, currently have quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens on their roster.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1 ... 546584.stm
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Sea_point wrote:Sad to see Favre in anything other than a Packers uniform...... :(

Big gamble by the Cheeseheads in refusing his return, the guy proed again last season that he still has the goods....
BBC wrote: BBC SPORT
Favre to resume career with Jets

Green Bay have confirmed they have agreed to trade veteran quarterback Brett Favre to the New York Jets.

The deal brings an end to the tussle between the NFL great and the Packers after the 38-year-old confirmed he was reversing his decision to retire.

Favre's return threw the team's plans for the new season into confusion, with Aaron Rodgers slated to start at QB.

He joins the Jets in return for a pick in the NFL draft - the more games he plays the higher the choice will be.

Jets chairman Woody Johnson said: "I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform.

"He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible team on the field."

The Packers said in a statement: "Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and we owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state.

"It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organisation forward in the most positive way possible."

The NFL's all-time leader in touchdown passes (442) and passing yards (61,655), Favre walked away from the sport at the end of last season after leading Green Bay to a 13-3 record and the NFC title game.

The Packers had previously offered Favre a 10-year marketing deal worth more than $20m to remain in retirement, but the three-time league MVP opted to re-launch his career and was reinstated by the NFL on Monday.

He arrived at Packers camp this week and met with coach Mike McCarthy, who concluded that Favre was not in the right "mindset" to continue playing in Green Bay.

Favre, who started 275 consecutive regular season and play-off games, broke NFL records in his final campaign for pass completions (5,377) and games with at least three touchdown passes (63).

The Jets, who finished 4-12 last season, currently have quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens on their roster.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1 ... 546584.stm
Will he be their starting QB I wonder.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

favre must be odds on to start cos miami just signed peddington
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

tate wrote:favre must be odds on to start cos miami just signed peddington
Thank God. None of the 3 other Miami QBs were looking good. WIth WIlliams back and Pennington in the driving seat, the fish have got to improve on last year's nightmare. Henne looks like the guy to come good as Pennington's replacement.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

PC Gone mad !!!

On Inside the NFL this morning, Charlie Casserly reported that last Thursday night the NFL sent a memo to all 32 teams informing them home teams can no longer torture the visitors with cheerleader sirens.

Said Casserly:

No longer will [the cheerleaders] be allowed to warm up in front of the visiting team locker room or do their stretching in front of the visiting team locker room and they can't go in the tunnel! The reason? Some players feel they were being a little distracted.
The memo stated the tactic is “distracting and inappropriate and to be stopped immediately and teams will be monitored.”
:( :( :(
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

I know its only pre season game so far but the Broncos were robbed hollywood style last week!
When Denver's starting QB picked apart Houston's defense, going 8-of-10 for 59 yards. On his final play, Cutler scrambled and ran past the Texans' defense for a 15-yard touchdown. You cant make this sh!t up people!!!
As Selvin Young struggled on the ground, gaining just 3 yards on four carries, Andre Hall made his mark for Denver, carrying the ball eight times for 43 yards, including converting a couple of third downs. Young did pitch in as a receiver, however, with two catches for 20 yards. But alas. We were pipped at the proverbial post when Housten called a TO with 3 seconds left on the clock and the scoreboard tied at 16 a piece! They pulled a field goal (out of their collective asses) to take the lead and the game 16-19.

Frackin Texans! :evil: 3 seconds on the clock???!?! AARRGGHHH!!!
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Week 1

NY Jets @ Miami (Backing NY Jets @ Jacksonville @ Tennessee (Backing Jacksonville Jaguars @ 1.65)
Houston @ Pittsburgh (Backing Pittsburgh Steelers @ 1.35)
Carolina @ San Diego (Backing San Diego Chargers @ 1.21)
Dallas @ Cleveland (Backing Dallas Cowboys @ 1.38)
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

oh sh!t, tom brady could be out for a while. This could be a long year after watching the pats struggle against kansas.

Anybody have a few spare, tall cornerbacks and safeties?
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Feck!! Someone get Willie Beaman on the phone!
NFL.com wrote:Brady's season over after injuring knee vs. Chiefs
NFL.com Wire Reports

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Reigning NFL MVP Tom Brady suffered a serious knee injury in the season opener that will end his 2008 campaign, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

Brady left Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs after being hit on the left leg. He has started 128 consecutive games, but went to the turf clutching his left knee midway through the first quarter when he was hit in the pocket by Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard. After being tended to on the field, he walked off, limping, between two trainers.

Meanwhile, free-agent quarterback Chris Simms is scheduled to arrive in New England Monday morning for a workout and a physical, Schefter reports. If all goes well, Simms could be a Patriot by the end of the day. Kansas City and Tennessee, each of whom had quarterbacks suffer significant injuries on Sunday, also have contacted Simms.

Brady, 31, went to the locker room and was not seen again on the sideline as backup Matt Cassel led the Patriots to a 17-10 victory. The two-time Super Bowl MVP was not available for comment after the game, and coach Bill Belichick said he had nothing to add to the in-game announcement that it was a knee injury.

Brady was 7-for-11 passing for 76 yards, completing a 26-yard pass to Randy Moss on the play in which he was injured. Moss fumbled the ball away when he was tackled; the Patriots forced Kansas City to punt, then Cassel came in for New England.

"Since I've been here and been around Tom, he's always popped back up," Cassel said. "I didn't know (how serious it was). I just buckled my chinstrap and the guys rallied around me. I felt their support."

Cassel took over at his 2 yard-line and, after two handoffs nearly netted the Chiefs a safety, completed his first pass to Moss for a 51-yard gain. Cassel, Brady's backup for the past three years, finished the 98-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown pass to Moss that gave New England a 7-0 lead.

"This is something I've been preparing for for a long time," said Cassel, who threw just 33 passes while backing up Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at Southern Cal. "It's not something I expected to come up on opening day."

A former fourth-stringer who was the 199th overall selection in the 2000 draft, Brady himself took over at quarterback when longtime starter Drew Bledsoe sustained a life-threatening chest injury in a 2001 game against the New York Jets. Brady led the Patriots to their first NFL title that year, another in 2003 and another in 2004.

In the process, Brady has become one of the league's biggest stars and a crossover cover boy who has met the Pope and the president, dated actresses and supermodels and rewrote one of the NFL's most coveted records.

Last year, while leading New England to a 16-0 regular season, Brady set a record with 50 touchdown passes and improved his overall record as a starter to 100-27 -- the best in the Super Bowl era. The Patriots blew a chance at an unprecedented 19-0 season and a fourth NFL title with a 17-14 loss in February's Super Bowl to the New York Giants.

Brady did not play in four exhibition games this summer -- all of them Patriots losses -- while trying to recover from a right foot injury.

"He's the face of the New England Patriots, and Tom being who he is it kind of hurts, to be honest with you," said Moss, who caught 23 of Brady's TD passes in 2007, also a record. "I know the show must go on. Hopefully Matt Cassel is ready to step in. I know the team is ready to embrace him and let him lead us."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009