ECC Final 2018 - Bilbao

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
Forum rules
Forum for requesting, offering and discussing Champions Cup Final Tickets, Travel and Accommodation. Anyone suspected of being involved in buying or selling these for above face value will be immediately banned.

Posts which breach forum rules may be edited or removed without warning
- No Email addresses or phone numbers. PM ONLY. Please note that Private Messages remain in your outbox until they have been read by the recipient.
- Always list the price in your post. Failure to do so will result in your post being rejected.
- Offers / Requests: Once sorted out, please edit your post and change the text of the post to SORTED or GONE. We will then remove the post.
- No Topic spamming (same request / offer in multiple topics) - all will be removed.
- No Bumping your offers / requests (quoting own post to say tickets still needed / offered, etc.) - all will be removed.

Re: ECC Final 2018 - Bilbao

Postby nelly the elephant » March 14th, 2018, 10:28 pm

18 of us in total going(most based here, some in the UK,Swtizerland, Germany)...match tickets bought early last November. Lots of different routes etc being taken. Bilbao accommodation has been through the roof from early on....There's 7 of us flying to Madrid early Friday morning(return around 9pm Sunday night) and hiring a car, driving to Elorrio, 25 minutes from Bilbao. The hotel there have confirmed transport links are good but are also offering to sort minibuses. We have 5 twin rooms booked for the Fri & Sat nights for €715.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
nelly the elephant
Cian Healy

Postby Nissan nav » March 15th, 2018, 6:26 pm

I purchased two tickets for the final about 6 weeks ago from ticket master fr but I still haven't received them in the post does anybody know when the send out the tickets or should I be worried. Thanks in advance.
Nissan nav

Postby footrush » March 23rd, 2018, 10:56 am

nelly the elephant wrote:18 of us in total going(most based here, some in the UK,Swtizerland, Germany)...match tickets bought early last November. Lots of different routes etc being taken. Bilbao accommodation has been through the roof from early on....There's 7 of us flying to Madrid early Friday morning(return around 9pm Sunday night) and hiring a car, driving to Elorrio, 25 minutes from Bilbao. The hotel there have confirmed transport links are good but are also offering to sort minibuses. We have 5 twin rooms booked for the Fri & Sat nights for €715.

Just got a message from the organisers saying that my tickets have been changed because of media/cameras I have been moved from the corner to 106 behind the posts better seat but not a good sign about the organisation of the tournament ?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby footrush » March 31st, 2018, 7:07 pm

€212 for a bed in a six bed mixed dorm in Bilbao on the Saturday of the final !?!?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby footrush » April 2nd, 2018, 11:12 am

footrush wrote:€212 for a bed in a six bed mixed dorm in Bilbao on the Saturday of the final !?!?.

€248 for the dorm bunk bed now !, is this a record ?. Interesting to see how much it will go up or down after the semi finals ?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby bgmusic » April 2nd, 2018, 12:49 pm

Still very good value in Santander, bus fare to Bilbao is 6.50 euro.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Postby footrush » April 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm

bgmusic wrote:Still very good value in Santander, bus fare to Bilbao is 6.50 euro.

Yep it’s a lovely town flying out of there on the Sunday afternoon, still deciding if I will stay there or Bilbao provisionally booked accomodation in both back when the venue was announced if we make the final it will be Bilbao if not will stay in Santander after the game !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » April 3rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

haven't noticed much of a drop in accom prices after the quarters. was sorta hoping bilbao was full of bookings from sarries fans hoping for a three in a row. maybe after the semis the prices will drop. off the scale at the moment. santander is looking like a very nice plan b.
MylesNaGapoleen
Graduate

Postby footrush » April 4th, 2018, 9:22 am

As far as I can see a small number of tickets available on the proticketing site at the moment ?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby Leon Yespmed » April 4th, 2018, 11:44 am

I can see the tickets listed but can't buy them
Leon Yespmed
Beginner

Postby footrush » April 4th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Leon Yespmed wrote:I can see the tickets listed but can't buy them

Have you tried contacting them directly ?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby outcast eddie » April 20th, 2018, 5:51 am

Franno

The bookies had the Champions Cup final of Scarlets versus Racing at 5/1 which is not off the planet! Despite this, I did check on prices for Bilbao just in case it was an all-Ireland final. A great occasion for the country. Some of the sponsors were looking to charge me €805 to get to Bilbao for the weekend.

If you were going the other way - to Dublin from Bilbao - it would cost you €52.79 one way. If you were going to go to Los Angeles on the same weekend, it would cost you just €437 return.

That is before you buy a pint of overpriced San Miguel in Bilbao or lay your weary head on a soft pillow provided by your friendly hotel chain at €510 per room per night. 'Doblar sobre tocat los dedos de los pies' is the Spanish translation, I believe, for bend over and touch your toes. I have made an application to one financial institution - another sponsor - for a mortgage in order to pay for the flights and accommodation in Bilbao for said weekend.

Maybe I should wait! Odds of 5/1 for the dream pairing of Racing and Scarlets is the final that all these greedy bastardos deserve. A capacity of 53,000 at the San Mames - how close would they get to 25,000 for a Scarlets v Racing final? Leinster v Munster? A full house and everyone makes money - will they both get there?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 21787.html

I agree totally and am even contemplating not travelling in protest (should we qualify) at the decision to hold the final somewhere that blatantly fleeces fans like this.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
outcast eddie
Graduate

Postby footrush » April 20th, 2018, 8:31 am

outcast eddie wrote:Franno

The bookies had the Champions Cup final of Scarlets versus Racing at 5/1 which is not off the planet! Despite this, I did check on prices for Bilbao just in case it was an all-Ireland final. A great occasion for the country. Some of the sponsors were looking to charge me €805 to get to Bilbao for the weekend.

If you were going the other way - to Dublin from Bilbao - it would cost you €52.79 one way. If you were going to go to Los Angeles on the same weekend, it would cost you just €437 return.

That is before you buy a pint of overpriced San Miguel in Bilbao or lay your weary head on a soft pillow provided by your friendly hotel chain at €510 per room per night. 'Doblar sobre tocat los dedos de los pies' is the Spanish translation, I believe, for bend over and touch your toes. I have made an application to one financial institution - another sponsor - for a mortgage in order to pay for the flights and accommodation in Bilbao for said weekend.

Maybe I should wait! Odds of 5/1 for the dream pairing of Racing and Scarlets is the final that all these greedy bastardos deserve. A capacity of 53,000 at the San Mames - how close would they get to 25,000 for a Scarlets v Racing final? Leinster v Munster? A full house and everyone makes money - will they both get there?

I agree totally and am even contemplating not travelling in protest (should we qualify) at the decision to hold the final somewhere that blatantly fleeces fans like this.
Flying out Barcelona Friday Bilbao early Saturday morning accommodation in the center €40 , flying back from Santander Sunday came in about €300 when I booked it last May, will go anyway even if it’s Scarlets v Racing a lot of people go to the final any way no matter who is in it. Have accommodation in Newcastle booked for next years final already. It has become an event that people enjoy anyway my nightmare was a Saracens v Toulon final my preference would have been us against ASM, but hey Bilbao at this time of year can’t be bad !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby outcast eddie » April 20th, 2018, 10:02 am

footrush wrote:

Flying out Barcelona Friday Bilbao early Saturday morning accommodation in the center €40 , flying back from Santander Sunday came in about €300 when I booked it last May, will go anyway even if it’s Scarlets v Racing a lot of people go to the final any way no matter who is in it. Have accommodation in Newcastle booked for next years final already. It has become an event that people enjoy anyway my nightmare was a Saracens v Toulon final my preference would have been us against ASM, but hey Bilbao at this time of year can’t be bad !.

I'm happy for you Footrush but suspect you are in a minority of rugby fans who are hoping to visit to Bilbao on the weekend of 12th May. What is that marketing theory about sports fans' willingness to pay for a product no matter how bad it is? Well we are seeing a version of that playing out here.
I understand that travel and accommodation can be pricey in locations that are popular and worthwhile for a visit but the prices currently being quoted go beyond reasonable profit making. I would like EPRC to know that profiteering by airlines and hotels are conspiring to make Bilbao an awful location for this event and that attendance may well suffer as a result.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
outcast eddie
Graduate

Postby footrush » April 20th, 2018, 11:10 am

outcast eddie wrote:
footrush wrote:

I'm happy for you Footrush but suspect you are in a minority of rugby fans who are hoping to visit to Bilbao on the weekend of 12th May. What is that marketing theory about sports fans' willingness to pay for a product no matter how bad it is? Well we are seeing a version of that playing out here.
I understand that travel and accommodation can be pricey in locations that are popular and worthwhile for a visit but the prices currently being quoted go beyond reasonable profit making. I would like EPRC to know that profiteering by airlines and hotels are conspiring to make Bilbao an awful location for this event and that attendance may well suffer as a result.

Couldn’t agree more !. I just had a look at accommodation in Dublin for this weekend however and the cheapest in the City center is a bed in a ten bed female only dorm which is €73 on Saturday night , if someone from the Scarlets is looking for a room on Bookin. com it’s way more than this !. What they are all banking on is that there will be at least one Irish team in the final. Although Scarlets fans may offset this if they get through. The one upside is that if less supporters can get flights and accommodation after the result if Leinster qualify then the provinces ticket allocation should be able to cover everyone who can go. Also we are playing the day before our southern cousins this weekend so that gives more time to try and get organised if we get through, totally agree with the points that you make however.
Flying wedge
footrush
Mullet

Postby Leon Yespmed » April 20th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Bilbao has a population of 350,000 a bit bigger than Belfast so it's bound to get pricey as it can't absorb that many tourists easily. The upside is that you will know that there is a match on.

There are plenty of towns within 20-50kms of Bilbao where it would be much more reasonable to stay.

It's a marvelous oppurtunity to visit Bilbao and the Basque Country, hope we make it.
Leon Yespmed
Beginner

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » April 21st, 2018, 10:56 pm

well done leinster....I think racing have the edge on munster tomorrow, but, an all ireland final in bilbao would be incredible....no way the prices will drop now. I snagged a cheapo pension in the west art of the old town before christmas..don't mind slumming it for a few days.

cardiff gloucester game on the friday night should be good too. i reckon gloucester will take that.
MylesNaGapoleen
Graduate

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » April 21st, 2018, 11:03 pm

nelly the elephant wrote:18 of us in total going(most based here, some in the UK,Swtizerland, Germany)...match tickets bought early last November. Lots of different routes etc being taken. Bilbao accommodation has been through the roof from early on....There's 7 of us flying to Madrid early Friday morning(return around 9pm Sunday night) and hiring a car, driving to Elorrio, 25 minutes from Bilbao. The hotel there have confirmed transport links are good but are also offering to sort minibuses. We have 5 twin rooms booked for the Fri & Sat nights for €715.

I am part of a possee of four going from switzerland (basle). might be cheaper for us to club together and buy a villa for the weekend :shock:
MylesNaGapoleen
Graduate

Postby curates_egg » April 22nd, 2018, 11:23 am

As someone who knows the region quite well (although not Bilbao), and has been down to go since May (and done lots of research), here is my tuppence-hapenny for those looking only now.

The hoteliers in Bilbao seem to have agreed to cartel-pricing since they got the nod. The exorbitant prices you see now have been almost as bad all along (I guess they think it's comparable to the Champions league).
Consequently, booking through standard booking sites was never really an option.
If you have Spanish, it was possible to find reasonable non-Internet bookable pensions but they're probably long gone.
Reasonable accommodation was available in the satellite towns around Bilbao (it has a good metro, so check towns on the lines). There is a campsite in a beach town, north of Bilbao but on the metro, which also lets bungalows.
San Sebastián is an hour by bus. It's a windy road, and I think the last bus is around 10. Santander is similar.
The former is possibly my favourite town in the world. Great food; great fun.

There are cheap flights to Bilbao from lots of European cities. Santander (about 1 hour) and Biarritz (about 1.45) both have Ryanair connections.
There are ferries from England to Santander (overnight). They will actually open a route to Cork but not open yet.

It's a stunning region. Make a holiday out of it.
curates_egg
Mullet

Postby Leon Yespmed » April 22nd, 2018, 12:11 pm

[quote="curates_egg"]As someone who knows the region quite well (although not Bilbao), and has been down to go since May (and done lots of research), here is my tuppence-hapenny for those looking only now.

The hoteliers in Bilbao seem to have agreed to cartel-pricing since they got the nod. The exorbitant prices you see now have been almost as bad all along (I guess they think it's comparable to the Champions league).
Consequently, booking through standard booking sites was never really an option.
If you have Spanish, it was possible to find reasonable non-Internet bookable pensions but they're probably long gone.
Reasonable accommodation was available in the satellite towns around Bilbao (it has a good metro, so check towns on the lines). There is a campsite in a beach town, north of Bilbao but on the metro, which also lets bungalows.
San Sebastián is an hour by bus. It's a windy road, and I think the last bus is around 10. Santander is similar.
The former is possibly my favourite town in the world. Great food; great fun.

There are cheap flights to Bilbao from lots of European cities. Santander (about 1 hour) and Biarritz (about 1.45) both have Ryanair connections.
There are ferries from England to Santander (overnight). They will actually open a route to Cork but not open yet.

It's a stunning region. Make a holiday out of it.[/quote

We are flying to Bordeaux, 3 hrs away on Motorway.
Zarautz is between San Sebastien and Bilbao and a good holiday town with lots of accomadation
Leon Yespmed
Beginner

PreviousNext

Return to Champions Cup Final 2018