Aironi Rugby

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Aironi Rugby

Post by footrush »

Am not going to six nations away games this year and have decided to go to Viadana instead as well as our H Cup away games , its in Lobardy a beautiful part of Italy , the only hotel within 5km of the ground that I could find was the Hotel Brixellum , in Brescello ( Reggio Emilia ) its a small place and has 5 rooms left . Really looking forward to this one , was at our H Cup game v Treviso a few years back and had a great time , this looks just as good .
Flying wedge
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: Aironi Rugby

Post by sheepshagger »

Am really looking forward to Treviso in a couple of weeks 8)

Given the club is made up of a number of franchises do they not have a couple of grounds where it could be played, has the venue been confirmed yet?
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

On the Magners web site they say , Stadio Zaffanella , which makes sense as its Viadanas home ground .
Flying wedge
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

footrush wrote:On the Magners web site they say , Stadio Zaffanella , which makes sense as its Viadanas home ground .
Saw that, i'm just sceptical of the ML website and its accuracy :lol:

Nothing to say everyone will want to stay near the ground anyway, some may prefer the city centre.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Absolutely am staying in Bologna first then Viadana then Verona , beats rushing back on sunday night from Edinburgh and sunday afternoon from Rome . Just making the point that hotels near the ground do not seem as easy to come by as in Treviso .
Flying wedge
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Post by lineens weegie army »

sheepshagger wrote:Am really looking forward to Treviso in a couple of weeks 8)

Given the club is made up of a number of franchises do they not have a couple of grounds where it could be played, has the venue been confirmed yet?

Viadana have something like a 54% share of the new franchise - hence they are getting nearly every game. I think they have also had to spend quite a lot of money to bring the ground up to standard for the ML, so will be keen to actually use it. Only the bigger games are apparently being held in Reggio Emilia (capacity is around 30,000 - with practically no seats)

Glasgow had Viadana a few seasons back in the HC (and Parma in the CC the previous season) and everybody that went said it was great. there is however no accomodation atall in Viadana - the club told our fans the best way was to stay in Parma.

Still pee'd off I can't do both our trips to Italy this season - having hoped to get the 2 teams a week apart (so you can have a weeks holiday in Italy in between), CR have sent us to Italy in 2 consecutive rounds... With the ERC QF weekend in between them :( (ofcourse it could be great if we finish second and drop into the CC to play Parma, but the chance of that are very slim)
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Their original ground has capacity of about 7k max (I think). I wonder if our game will be deemed as 'big' so they will move it to the bigger one ? Can't say I really trust the ML site TBH.

Heard that accomodation is a bit of a nightmare in Viadana and that Parma is recommended as the best second option.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

footrush wrote:Am not going to six nations away games this year and have decided to go to Viadana instead as well as our H Cup away games , its in Lobardy a beautiful part of Italy , the only hotel within 5km of the ground that I could find was the Hotel Brixellum , in Brescello ( Reggio Emilia ) its a small place and has 5 rooms left . Really looking forward to this one , was at our H Cup game v Treviso a few years back and had a great time , this looks just as good .
Reggio Emilia seems to be close to Viadana , other places that I looked at to stay in were Cremona and Modena , its the first time in 20 years that I'm not going to the 6 nations game in Edinburgh , I refuse to get involved in the scramble to get home on the monday . I'm going to see somewhere new this year and sample the local culture can't wait . My big decision was between staying in Verona , Cremona or Modena for a couple of days , an excellent dilemma to have .
Flying wedge
jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Post by jordanracer »

Modena... the home of Ferrari.... visit to the factory :D :D
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

All that red might be a bit much , thanks for the suggestion however .
Flying wedge
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Am going to try and sweet talk the missus into this one, looks like SS is right and Parma is the best option. There's a holiday inn doing double for fifty sheckles a night which ain't too bad. Maybe the OLSC could throw on a bus from Parma to Viadana........
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Degz wrote:Am going to try and sweet talk the missus into this one, looks like SS is right and Parma is the best option. There's a holiday inn doing double for fifty sheckles a night which ain't too bad. Maybe the OLSC could throw on a bus from Parma to Viadana........
Given its a ML game you'd need minimum numbers for that sort of thing but if the numbers are there. . . coach hire abroad is pricey.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

sheepshagger wrote:
Degz wrote:Am going to try and sweet talk the missus into this one, looks like SS is right and Parma is the best option. There's a holiday inn doing double for fifty sheckles a night which ain't too bad. Maybe the OLSC could throw on a bus from Parma to Viadana........
Given its a ML game you'd need minimum numbers for that sort of thing but if the numbers are there. . . coach hire abroad is pricey.
Aye, but would have thought there would be a fair bit of interest in this one, what with the novelty factor and the fact that people may have been able to save somewhat during the 6 nations.

What would the minumum required be do you think, around 50?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Degz wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:
Aye, but would have thought there would be a fair bit of interest in this one, what with the novelty factor and the fact that people may have been able to save somewhat during the 6 nations.

Not sure but probably in or around that - guess it will depend on how we are getting on in the HC. If an away QF is required that may impact the numbers who are able to go to Italy.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

sheepshagger wrote:
Degz wrote:
sheepshagger wrote: Given its a ML game you'd need minimum numbers for that sort of thing but if the numbers are there. . . coach hire abroad is pricey.

Not sure but probably in or around that - guess it will depend on how we are getting on in the HC. If an away QF is required that may impact the numbers who are able to go to Italy.
True, and I can't see anything other than an away QF or none at all considering the group we've got. If the latter is the case, this will see quite a large following I'd wager.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Aerlingus are doing return flights to Bologna for 115 euro return , just nabbed a couple .
Flying wedge
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Any idea when the exact dates and times for this fixture are being announced ? .
Flying wedge
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

footrush wrote:Any idea when the exact dates and times for this fixture are being announced ? .
Knowing the Magners League will be the middle/end of the 6N. . . . .
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

footrush wrote:Am not going to six nations away games this year and have decided to go to Viadana instead as well as our H Cup away games , its in Lobardy a beautiful part of Italy , the only hotel within 5km of the ground that I could find was the Hotel Brixellum , in Brescello ( Reggio Emilia ) its a small place and has 5 rooms left . Really looking forward to this one , was at our H Cup game v Treviso a few years back and had a great time , this looks just as good .
That Brixellium hotel is in the arse end of nowhere, we passed it last weekend.
URSC organised a coach for us from Milan Linate to Parma then to and from match plus back to Linate and it cost approx €35 each done through Parma tourist board contact the URSC on ursc.co website and I'm sure you will get the details if you are interested.
Parma is far bigger than Treviso and after visiting both this year both are still the best away trip in the ML.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

As this is on Easter weekend its unlikley there will be any 'cheap' flights for this. . . .