Gloucester accommodation

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Jim, the Glaws fan
Learner

Post by Jim, the Glaws fan »

There's also this one:
http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/hot ... csell=true

It's a brand new one, only opened about 6 months ago, and it's just round the corner from my house, and on the number 10 bus route into town (on Ermin St). Would be about £10 in a taxi from town, and the Victoria pub is just over the road too- home to most of the worlds Cheese Rolling champions (it's officially the worlds most extreme sport, see http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk), should the others be booked up.

To be fair, any travelodge/travelinn would be ok if you don't mind paying for taxi's here and there.
Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Jim, the Glaws fan wrote:There's also this one:

It's a brand new one, only opened about 6 months ago, and it's just round the corner from my house, and on the number 10 bus route into town (on Ermin St). Would be about £10 in a taxi from town, and the Victoria pub is just over the road too- home to most of the worlds Cheese Rolling champions (it's officially the worlds most extreme sport, see http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk), should the others be booked up.

To be fair, any travelodge/travelinn would be ok if you don't mind paying for taxi's here and there.
Sounds like your house if fairly central Jim and been as you've taken the liberty of colonising our guest bedroom...... :D
Summer is ready when you are

Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Jim, the Glaws fan wrote:...(it's officially the worlds most extreme sport, see http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk), ...
Pretty exteme stuff there Jim but I think these people too press the boundaries of exteme :D

http://www.extremeironing.com/
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Jim, the Glaws fan
Learner

Eve wrote:
Jim, the Glaws fan wrote:There's also this one:

Sounds like your house if fairly central Jim and been as you've taken the liberty of colonising our guest bedroom...... :D
I'm a sober 45 minute walk from the centre, a drunken hour.
Gloucester isn't a very big place really. And the guest bedroom is very small, otherwise I'd invite you guys over...
:wink:
Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC Cherry & Whites Gloucester RFC
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Eve wrote:
Jim, the Glaws fan wrote: the Longford Lamb is to be recommended
How long will it take Shagger to change his accomodation to Longford?

We should have a poll!! :D
Won't be changing to the Longford. . .had to pay for the Holiday Inn upfront. . .as i'm (and Apple Sourz) are there for the 4 days (out Fri, back Monday) the Pool at the hotel should come in handy 8)

Only reason why I didnt book an IBIS was they don't have one there :cry:
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Don't want to be a worry wuss, but just called the Longford about availability for that weekend, and according to the woman at the front desk, neither the Longford nor the City Lodge have any bookings for the weekend of the 19th January 2007? She's gone off to check with Basil to see if he's taken any bookings, and not informed her!

Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I'm actually looking at the idea or renting an apartment for the weekend. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions where to start looking?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Come to think of it, was the Longford not the place on the Glaws fans forum that got bad reviews by some of their posters :? :? :?
Jim, the Glaws fan
Learner

Wouldn't have thought so.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

sheepshagger wrote:
Eve wrote:
Jim, the Glaws fan wrote: the Longford Lamb is to be recommended
How long will it take Shagger to change his accomodation to Longford?

We should have a poll!! :D
Won't be changing to the Longford. . .had to pay for the Holiday Inn upfront. . .as i'm (and Apple Sourz) are there for the 4 days (out Fri, back Monday) the Pool at the hotel should come in handy 8)

Only reason why I didnt book an IBIS was they don't have one there :cry:
Is that not three days? (Friday, Saturday, Sunday?)
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Donny Brooke wrote:Is that not three days? (Friday, Saturday, Sunday?)
:oops: a typo by me above - we are booked in for just Fri/Sat/Sun (3 nights)
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Thanks for this link Sarah. I've just booked rooms using the site with no problems. Reading over the thread tho, I'm starting to worry that there are two Longford Inns. The one Uncle Mort is talking about and the one that Eve is talking about. There may even be a third one that Harry is talking about that employs Basil Fawlty. Jim, can you shed any light? Your list mentioned the Longford Inn as having a beefeater restaurant but the phone number you gave is different to the one I got on my reservation.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Tara wrote:
Thanks for this link Sarah. I've just booked rooms using the site with no problems. Reading over the thread tho, I'm starting to worry that there are two Longford Inns. The one Uncle Mort is talking about and the one that Eve is talking about. There may even be a third one that Harry is talking about that employs Basil Fawlty. Jim, can you shed any light? Your list mentioned the Longford Inn as having a beefeater restaurant but the phone number you gave is different to the one I got on my reservation.
Mine has a beefeater so I assumed it was the one Jim was talking about - also had Longford in brackets after the Premier Travel inn bit - never checked the Phone no. :oops:
Summer is ready when you are

Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Eve wrote:
Tara wrote:
Mine has a beefeater so I assumed it was the one Jim was talking about - also had Longford in brackets after the Premier Travel inn bit - never checked the Phone no. :oops:
Well at least we'll be together Eve!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Tara wrote:
Eve wrote:
Tara wrote: Thanks for this link Sarah. I've just booked rooms using the site with no problems. Reading over the thread tho, I'm starting to worry that there are two Longford Inns. The one Uncle Mort is talking about and the one that Eve is talking about. There may even be a third one that Harry is talking about that employs Basil Fawlty. Jim, can you shed any light? Your list mentioned the Longford Inn as having a beefeater restaurant but the phone number you gave is different to the one I got on my reservation.
Think the Longford Lodge is te B&B - the website with the half cooked breakfast foods on it

The Longford Inn is the Travel Lodge Hotel with the Beefeater

I think! :D
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Or you could try the Holiday Inn in Gloucester. . . its also not to far away from Cheltnam (which is supposed to be the nicer place of the 2)

55 sterling a night for a room (double or twin)

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/glcea
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Tara wrote:
Eve wrote: Mine has a beefeater so I assumed it was the one Jim was talking about - also had Longford in brackets after the Premier Travel inn bit - never checked the Phone no. :oops:
Think the Longford Lodge is te B&B - the website with the half cooked breakfast foods on it

The Longford Inn is the Travel Lodge Hotel with the Beefeater

I think! :D
I'm fairly certain that I've the same place - I got it both from Jim's list and the Gloucester Council website (typed accommodation, Gloucester into Mr Google). Anyway where I'm staying is the pub, yes it's a Beefeater and a premier travel inn. The thing that clinched it (as Grumpy Old Man knows only too well) is that it sells Wadworths 6X. After a very quick look at the others - the Longford Lodge, the Longford Guest House, The Longford Nuffield Hospital, The Longford Police Station, The Bus Shelter, Longford it beacame apparant that these were not the places selling Wadworths. Finally I did not book on line I phoned and when I phoned the lady I spoke to was interested in the number of other people who were also calling from Ireland that morning. So, as it happens I think that most of us will be fairly close together and only 1m from the city and 10 mins from the ground.

Anyway - as long as there is a) a bed, b) breakfast, c) Wadworths then "I'm alright Jack!!"

here is the link that I used for the phone number

http://www.pub-explorer.com/gloucs/pub/ ... ngford.htm

as you'll see it's both a Beefeater and a Premier Inn.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Yup both links have same address and are both Premier Travel Inns.

incidentally the Inn has 60 rooms, looks like we'll be taking up most of them!!!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

sarah_lennon wrote:Yup both links have same address and are both Premier Travel Inns.

incidentally the Inn has 60 rooms, looks like we'll be taking up most of them!!!
To which I add the following advice to anyone else staying there:

Wadworth's 6X is a very bitter, weak and often soapy tasting English Beer. Unless you've had it before then please stick to the Heineken or better still Harp. These will be more to your taste than the warm, flat, overly bitter, watery, rather unpleasent Wadworth's.
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

Uncle Mort wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:Yup both links have same address and are both Premier Travel Inns.

To which I add the following advice to anyone else staying there:

Wadworth's 6X is a very bitter, weak and often soapy tasting English Beer. Unless you've had it before then please stick to the Heineken or better still Harp. These will be more to your taste than the warm, flat, overly bitter, watery, rather unpleasent Wadworth's.
feckin lager drinkers - grrrrrr

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: