Cardiff Roll Call!

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Sundy
Enlightened

Re: Cardiff Roll Call!

Post by Sundy »

TrueBlueGazelligator wrote:It's been long enough since I posted so I guess i'll weigh in. Myself +1 are heading over on Friday evening and chillin in Holyhead for a few hours before headin onto Cardiff .

Anyone stupid enough to join us? :roll:

Nooo Dont chill in holyhead. Its really really not that kind of place. Go on to conwy or somewhere.

Anyway on topic. Im doing a day trip with joe walsh. Bought good second hand tickets on the half way line off a munsterman :happy clapper:
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Sundy wrote:
TrueBlueGazelligator wrote:It's been long enough since I posted so I guess i'll weigh in. Myself +1 are heading over on Friday evening and chillin in Holyhead for a few hours before headin onto Cardiff .

Anyone stupid enough to join us? :roll:

Nooo Dont chill in holyhead. Its really really not that kind of place. Go on to conwy or somewhere.

Anyway on topic. Im doing a day trip with joe walsh. Bought good second hand tickets on the half way line off a munsterman :happy clapper:
Ah! the great delight of the 4 hour wait for the Train through the Witching hours. Some great entertainment though, watching the North Wales Police chase the local drunks out of the Ferry/Station waiting area, and our Traveller friends in their strange dress honing their theiving techniques in the waiting area's late night shop/cafe, (yes, i have observed both in there).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Blues-Ultra
Bookworm

Post by Blues-Ultra »

Kyle wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:
Kyle wrote:Me plus the mrs, her brother, and two of my best mates - all in the one car from Holyhead to Cardiff! staying in a place called Carmaerthen (will have to take the mountain roads so) with family on the Friday and hoping to get a spot in Llandaff on the Saturday!
Carmarthen is lovely. Best drive for scenery is through Wales.

If you want to get to the match on time go the motorway toward Chester and Manchester, then south to Brum and M5 toward Bristol where you meet the M4 that takes you directomundo to Carmarthen.
Ah cheers! Was going to go through the mountains haven't decided yet! Have heard that may not be the way to go though!!
Arriving over to Holyhead friday morning and planning to drive through the mountains. Its due to take 4.5 hours, just have to live with it. Hopefully traffic aint to bad.
osh
Beginner

Post by osh »

For anyone driving down the M6 (from North) and then M5 ( from midlands) I notice that it is suggested you travel as far as the M4 near Bristol and then travel over the new Severn Bridge (too bridge) into Wales.

I would suggest travelling down the M5 south of Birmingham and then turn onto the M50 motorway towards Ross on Wye( You also avoid any toll charges) The motorway goes as far as Ross on Wye and then it's very good dual carriageway down through Monmoputh all the way to Newport where you will then join the M4 motorway right next to the Celtic Manor Resort (Ryder Cup Venue) from there it is approx 20 - 25 minutes to Cardiff. Normally there are plenty of signs for the Park and Ride scheme with various locations just outside of the city coming from both the East and West.
cleanpairofheals
Beginner

Post by cleanpairofheals »

osh wrote:For anyone driving down the M6 (from North) and then M5 ( from midlands) I notice that it is suggested you travel as far as the M4 near Bristol and then travel over the new Severn Bridge (too bridge) into Wales.

I would suggest travelling down the M5 south of Birmingham and then turn onto the M50 motorway towards Ross on Wye( You also avoid any toll charges) The motorway goes as far as Ross on Wye and then it's very good dual carriageway down through Monmoputh all the way to Newport where you will then join the M4 motorway right next to the Celtic Manor Resort (Ryder Cup Venue) from there it is approx 20 - 25 minutes to Cardiff. Normally there are plenty of signs for the Park and Ride scheme with various locations just outside of the city coming from both the East and West.

heading via the M50 will take about half an hour off you journey compared with going over the toll bridge, however no matter which route you take (especially on the friday) it will be busy.
get_rucked
Bookworm

Post by get_rucked »

cleanpairofheals wrote:
osh wrote:For anyone driving down the M6 (from North) and then M5 ( from midlands) I notice that it is suggested you travel as far as the M4 near Bristol and then travel over the new Severn Bridge (too bridge) into Wales.

heading via the M50 will take about half an hour off you journey compared with going over the toll bridge, however no matter which route you take (especially on the friday) it will be busy.

.....especially around the red cow
"Shane Horgan is to cross-field kicks what Kylie Minogue is to backsides - simply the best" Matt Williams....for real
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

Blues-Ultra wrote: Arriving over to Holyhead friday morning and planning to drive through the mountains. Its due to take 4.5 hours, just have to live with it. Hopefully traffic aint to bad.
Ah we're on the half two Swift sailing - anyone else on that let me know - we can form some sort of blue convoy through the mountains!
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Myself and 3 others sorted with tickets and Flights into B'ham early Friday and out Sunday late afternoon. Sttill sorting accomadation but not to bothered about it just delighted to be off to my 6th H Cup final :D :D
Satan's Little Helper
Bookworm

Post by Satan's Little Helper »

if only there was a final place where we could all meet..........
gizmo82
Beginner

Post by gizmo82 »

me plus herself ferry friday morning 2 nights in ebbw vale back sunday. looking forward to getting lost in the mountains!
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Me + 4 in the car via Rosslare. Camping trip!
bren
Beginner

Post by bren »

Driving from London with the brother on the Friday night. Sweet. Two places in the car for Leinster fans without a lift. Give me a shout if you want it. We are leaving from Putney at 7pm on the Friday night.
On a traffic light green means 'go' and yellow means 'yield', but on a banana it's just the opposite. Green means 'hold on,' yellow means 'go ahead,' and red means, 'where the f%~k did you get that banana at?' - Mitch Hedberg
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

Me + 1. Coach picking us up in Dublin at 4:15am on Friday morning. Drops us to Rosslare and then Ferry to Pembroke. Coach to Cardiff, take in a few ales and then try and get any loose tickets for the Amlin final. Sat morn, woke up, got outta bed, dragged a comb across my head,, and made my way downstairs to have a beer and someone spoke and I went into a dream. Can't wait for the 2 night trip!
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

me + 1.

Can't fooking wait.
notaleinsterman

Post by notaleinsterman »

Just messing on Ticketmaster and I could order 8 tickets for Heineken Cup Final. This final is only 12 days away. How different it was for the 2002, 2006, 2008 Finals !

Blue Army???
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

notaleinsterman wrote:Just messing on Ticketmaster and I could order 8 tickets for Heineken Cup Final. This final is only 12 days away. How different it was for the 2002, 2006, 2008 Finals !

Blue Army???
Yes how different, you were facing teams with a much larger support base then Northampton and this country wasn't in the middle of the worst recession in about 100 years.
Djouce

Post by Djouce »

Three STH on the road Friday, Dublin-Knock by car, Ryanair to Bristol (hotel in Bristol), train to Cardiff.
Home Sunday in pieces.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Just checked in for the flights. . good old Ryanair letting you do it nice and early 8)
dmnsctt
Beginner

Post by dmnsctt »

7 of us split over 2 cars making the trip over.

Early drive down to Rosslare on the Friday morning for the 8:45 sailing to Pembroke, then a couple of hours into Cardiff after that. Hope to be settled in the hotel in Cardiff by at least 4 pm.... Thinking of picking up a few tickets for the Amlin Cup Final that evening... Either that or on the lash in Cardiff. Booked the E-tap hotel in the city centre a few months ago on the off chance... Paid off big time.

Sunday sailing back from Pembroke at 2:45 PM. Hopefully back in Dublin around 9 PM or so..... Haven't booked the Monday off work yet... but seriously considering it after all that driving!

Can't wait!!!! Was over in Edinburgh in 2009 and we had an epic road trip that time too! Great weekend!
Fitzybobs
Bookworm

Post by Fitzybobs »

Ferry Rosslare to Pembroke Friday night, camping in Pernath, return Sunday 2.45am via Ferry, arrive home circa 9am Sunday morning.
Traveling with Avenger International Tours.