Agen Travel

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

jamoTec wrote:it is now possible to book the train to and from Agen (from Carcossone) as it is within the booking period.......you can book it at:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_Sv ... geUK&WB=HP
What are the train times on the Sunday morning, as a mattrer of interest ??
T - 45
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

am
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
jamoTec wrote:it is now possible to book the train to and from Agen (from Carcossone) as it is within the booking period.......you can book it at:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_Sv ... geUK&WB=HP
What are the train times on the Sunday morning, as a mattrer of interest ??
Had a look at the TGV timetables & decided that the train times are too messy. Too much effing around on the way to Agen (a 2 hour wait for a connection in Toulouse, providing the flight arrives on time) and too early on Sunday (6:49am or 5:49 Irish time) to make sure that we get to the the flight on time. We're hiring a car for the weekend instead.
T - 45
jamoTec
Bookworm

Post by jamoTec »

thinkin of doing the same...car rental gives us more freedom, have you looked into prices crazydude?......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

b*%&!cks!

The trains are looking a bit dodgy now alright, this trip is turning into a bit of logistical nightmare.

Really not keen on renting a car at all, the thought of either me or Sheepshagger driving on French roads is enough to scare the bejesus out of me!
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Donny Brooke wrote:b*%&!cks!

The trains are looking a bit dodgy now alright, this trip is turning into a bit of logistical nightmare.

Really not keen on renting a car at all, the thought of either me or Sheepshagger driving on French roads is enough to scare the bejesus out of me!
I think most people would be very happy for SS to drive on French roads - it's him driving on Irish roads that would scare most people :wink:
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Uncle Mort wrote:
Donny Brooke wrote:b*%&!cks!

I think most people would be very happy for SS to drive on French roads - it's him driving on Irish roads that would scare most people :wink:
Either way, I feel quite safe over here! :D
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Donny Brooke wrote:
Would prefer not to hire a car. . .will have to have a look at the options later on today (getting up early to catch the train from Toulouse wouldnt be a biggie as I think I'll stay in the IBIS opposite the train station the night before anyway) :?

Put it this way - if we can get to Llanelli for an overnight trip we can get anywhere!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

jamoTec wrote:thinkin of doing the same...car rental gives us more freedom, have you looked into prices crazydude?......
Will get back to you as soon as I have more info...
T - 45
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
jamoTec wrote:thinkin of doing the same...car rental gives us more freedom, have you looked into prices crazydude?......
Looks like we are gonna go down the car route aswell, anyone ever driven a left hand manual before or is the Automatic recommended?

What you guys gonna do about the accomadation, it would prob be better to stay in Agen for the two nites and drive to the airport on Sunday morning from there?

I blame Ryanair for all this sh!t!!!!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

LeopoldButters wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Looks like we are gonna go down the car route aswell, anyone ever driven a left hand manual before or is the Automatic recommended?

What you guys gonna do about the accomadation, it would prob be better to stay in Agen for the two nites and drive to the airport on Sunday morning from there?

I blame Ryanair for all this sh!t!!!!
Booked Agen ages ago. Decided not to change it.

Ryanair didn't consider this option when they changed the return flight to Sunday from Monday... If the match is called off on Saturday, they'll have to play on Sunday... and we'll all be on the plane back...

Anyone for an MO'L lynch mob :evil: :evil:
T - 45
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

LeopoldButters wrote:
Theres not a hell of a lot to do in Agen from the looks of it. . . the roads could be pretty icey by the time we get there in December - so if I can avoid the car thing I will.

At this stage think I'll stay in Agen the Friday night (at the IBIS naturally), then shoot back to Toulouse on the Saturday after the game. . have a few beers in the Frog and Rosebeef Pub, stay at the IBIS opp the Toulouse train station. . .then get the train to Carcassonne early on the Sunday morning to get the flight home.

Your right though - our original Monday Ryanair flights if they went ahead would not give us this grief !
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

sheepshagger wrote:
LeopoldButters wrote:
Theres not a hell of a lot to do in Agen from the looks of it. . . the roads could be pretty icey by the time we get there in December - so if I can avoid the car thing I will.

At this stage think I'll stay in Agen the Friday night (at the IBIS naturally), then shoot back to Toulouse on the Saturday after the game. . have a few beers in the Frog and Rosebeef Pub, stay at the IBIS opp the Toulouse train station. . .then get the train to Carcassonne early on the Sunday morning to get the flight home.

Your right though - our original Monday Ryanair flights if they went ahead would not give us this grief !
thats pretty much our plan too but si there not an issue with the train on the Sunday morning? I'd love to make a return trip to Toulouse but this train craic seems fairly dodgy.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeopoldButters wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:
LeopoldButters wrote:

thats pretty much our plan too but si there not an issue with the train on the Sunday morning? I'd love to make a return trip to Toulouse but this train craic seems fairly dodgy.
According to that link there doesn't seem to be any trains going on the Sunday morning from Toulouse to Carcassone on the Sunday morning!

I find that hard to believe though.
Maybe there's a local train or a local bus service.

If not we have the option of just getting a taxi to drive us there.
If we have a few of us, it probably woouldn't cost the earth.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Donny Brooke wrote:
LeopoldButters wrote:
sheepshagger wrote: Theres not a hell of a lot to do in Agen from the looks of it. . . the roads could be pretty icey by the time we get there in December - so if I can avoid the car thing I will.

According to that link there doesn't seem to be any trains going on the Sunday morning from Toulouse to Carcassone on the Sunday morning!

TGV's from Toulouse to Carcassonne at 06:57, 07:50 and 10:42. the last one only gets into Carcassonne at 11:31, which is cutting it fine to get to the Airport in time.

Car rental (Renault Laguna) only cost €135 for weekend. Split between our group of 4, it'll work out at €35 per head, which won't be too dissimilar to the cost of TGV's for the weekend, whatever we opted for. Still waiting for details of website through which it was booked, but will post it as soon as I have it to hand.
T - 45
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

Donny Brooke wrote:
LeopoldButters wrote:
sheepshagger wrote: Theres not a hell of a lot to do in Agen from the looks of it. . . the roads could be pretty icey by the time we get there in December - so if I can avoid the car thing I will.

i think its about 80 - 100km to Carcassone from Toulouse so i can see a taxi going but if there was i'd be up for that. i was checking for trains and my search can up blank too but i just assumed it was the usual issue i have with public transport.

i was checking the AA route planner for Europe and it says the drive from Carcassone to Agen is 205km and they reckon it can be done in bout two hrs so if all else fails caould drive from Agen around 8am and i think we would be good!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeopoldButters wrote:
Donny Brooke wrote:
LeopoldButters wrote: thats pretty much our plan too but si there not an issue with the train on the Sunday morning? I'd love to make a return trip to Toulouse but this train craic seems fairly dodgy.

i think its about 80 - 100km to Carcassone from Toulouse so i can see a taxi going but if there was i'd be up for that. i was checking for trains and my search can up blank too but i just assumed it was the usual issue i have with public transport.

i was checking the AA route planner for Europe and it says the drive from Carcassone to Agen is 205km and they reckon it can be done in bout two hrs so if all else fails caould drive from Agen around 8am and i think we would be good!
My mate drove from Carcassone to Toulouse in May and it took about forty five minutes.
The one advantage of the taxi would be that it could take us straight to the airport. The train takes you to Carcassone city but you still need to get to the airport from there.
I'm sure you could book a taxi the night before for about €100-120. Split four ways that would be grand.

The car looks like good value alright but driving on icy French roads with a hangover and Sheepshagger giving the directions with the map?

Sounds like a receipe for disaster to me! :P
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Just spoke to a lady at the Euro Rail centre in London (or somethign like that - you can book any Euro train ticket with them).

French rail tix for Dec won't be available until Oct 10 as they're transitioning to a winter timetable. I was freaking a bit as I'm in Toulouse for the weekend and wasn't able to reserve any tickets for getting to Agen and back even though I could see the actual times.
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

[/quote]

My mate drove from Carcassone to Toulouse in May and it took about forty five minutes.
The one advantage of the taxi would be that it could take us straight to the airport. The train takes you to Carcassone city but you still need to get to the airport from there.
I'm sure you could book a taxi the night before for about €100-120. Split four ways that would be grand.

The car looks like good value alright but driving on icy French roads with a hangover and Sheepshagger giving the directions with the map?

Sounds like a receipe for disaster to me! :P[/quote]

What is the craic with you and sheepshagger and the icy roads, did you pair have a bad experience? u have pretty much turned me off the driving idea. Donny are you guaranteeing me a taxi from toulouse? if the taxi drivers are anything like the ones over here it could be interesting.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

LeopoldButters wrote:
What is the craic with you and sheepshagger and the icy roads, did you pair have a bad experience? u have pretty much turned me off the driving idea. Donny are you guaranteeing me a taxi from toulouse? if the taxi drivers are anything like the ones over here it could be interesting.
Can't speak for Donnybrook but I've driven in icey conditions and its it not ideal (and thats on roads I was familar with). As for taxi's. .. the french can be lazy fockers so is there any guarantee thed be one around to take us to Carcasonne that early on a Sunday morning ?

Am seriously thinking of getting a flight from Toulouse back to Dublin on the Sunday about lunchtime. BA have them for EUR 90 one way inc tax (a bit steep I know but I'm saving a nights accomodation and drink money now the flights back on Sunday instead of Monday as we'd originally booked). If theres any hitch and I miss the Ryanair flight, it will cost me more than EUR 90 to get back to Dublin! :?
glorob
Learner

Post by glorob »

Sounds like a receipe for disaster to me! :P[/quote]

What is the craic with you and sheepshagger and the icy roads, did you pair have a bad experience? u have pretty much turned me off the driving idea. Donny are you guaranteeing me a taxi from toulouse? if the taxi drivers are anything like the ones over here it could be interesting.[/quote]

Ice on the roads should not be an issue. Directions should not be a problem either. Almost all the journey is on the motorway. Road signs are a lot better than here. You only have to drive about 2 miles from Carcassone Airport before hitting the motorway, drive for 125 miles and then get off the motorway and drive 3 miles to Agen Town Centre.
The hard bit may be finding the ideal driver, one who does not drink.