Ferry to Rosslare early Sunday Morning

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

macboomba
Knowledgeable

Ferry to Rosslare early Sunday Morning

Post by macboomba »

Myself and 6 others are day tripping to the final and coming back on the 02:45 ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare on Sunday morning.

Anyone else doing this trip?

We are getting a train from Cardiff at 22:12 on Saturday night to Fishguard (just found out this involves bus connection from Carmarthen to Fishguard). Just wondering is anyone else doing this trip or has done the same journey and what to expect.

Going to be a long 28 hours of rugby and beer as well as planes, trains and automobiles.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ferry to Rosslare early Sunday Morning

Post by Hornet »

macboomba wrote:Myself and 6 others are day tripping to the final and coming back on the 02:45 ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare on Sunday morning.

Anyone else doing this trip?

We are getting a train from Cardiff at 22:12 on Saturday night to Fishguard (just found out this involves bus connection from Carmarthen to Fishguard). Just wondering is anyone else doing this trip or has done the same journey and what to expect.

Going to be a long 28 hours of rugby and beer as well as planes, trains and automobiles.
Done it from Swansea many times, including the coach. With the coach you get off the Train at Carmarthen and just go to the front of the Station and the coach should be waiting there. The coach does not go direct to Fishguard Harbour but wanders around West Wales servicing the Stations that the Train normally calls at before reaching Fishguard Harbour. Don't worry though as the coach is a guaranteed connection with the ferry. There might be more than one coach though, as there will be quite a few travelling, therefore there could well be a direct coach(es) to Fishguard Harbour which will skip the other Stations.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

Nice one.

Thanks for that.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
anthony_t
Beginner

Post by anthony_t »

we ate on Irish ferries ferry that leaves ros l at about 8 am sat and arrive Pembroke / fishguard at about 12.30 sat afternoon
returning on Pembroke / Fishguard ferry depparting snout 2.30am sun

have hired a 16 seater minibus to do trip from PEM (Fishguard) to CAR and back

have 6 spots free

cost per head is c. 20 sterling

let know if this suits
susanh
Beginner

Post by susanh »

We're doing that trip too. Have you pre-booked seats on the train? That's the bit I'm worried about - the ferry is sold out so what if there's not enough space for everyone? And what if there's not enough room on the bus on the way back? I was going to pre-book separate train -seats online but they don't deliver outside the UK and there's no option to pick up the tickets in Fishguard! I have visions of sitting in some grotty pub in Fishguard watching the final with our tickets in our hands!!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

susanh wrote:We're doing that trip too. Have you pre-booked seats on the train? That's the bit I'm worried about - the ferry is sold out so what if there's not enough space for everyone? And what if there's not enough room on the bus on the way back? I was going to pre-book separate train -seats online but they don't deliver outside the UK and there's no option to pick up the tickets in Fishguard! I have visions of sitting in some grotty pub in Fishguard watching the final with our tickets in our hands!!
I would expect the Train Company has had previous with Munster and Ireland fans heading for Cardiff. The early morning train normally has 10 - 15 people on it from Fishguard. It's normally a single car unit but will most likely be a three or four coach train for the HEC weekend. Have in the past been late into Fishguard on the ferry and found the train had already departed, but there was a coach waiting to take us through to Swansea. I very much doubt if the two man train crew will be able to stop the mass hordes of blue getting on their train, although you might have to stand.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Photo showing position of Fishguard Harbour Station to Ferry:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_sufc/5195810489/
Likely Train Type to take you through to Llanelli/Swansea/Cardiff:-
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=297072
susanh
Beginner

Post by susanh »

Thanks Hornet.
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

We're flying into Bristol and coming back on the Fishguard to Rosslare ferry.

So only worried about getting a roudy drunken crew of 7 onto the train at 22:12 on Saturday night. I've emailed Arriva trains to make sure they know to expect large numbers on that service. Don't want a couple of hundred Leinster fans trying to squeeze onto a 50 seat coach for the final leg of the journey. Hopefully they may extend the train journey all the way to Fishguard.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything back.
susanh
Beginner

Post by susanh »

good idea macoomba - I was thinking of phoning them to make sure they'll have extra capacity.
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

Arriva Trains have assured me that they are aware of the extra capacity required for this weekend. However they cannot confirm yet what arrangements will be put in place for the train to Fishguard (ie extra buses or run train all the way).