how many will travel

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

honeyec
Mullet

Re: how many will travel

Post by honeyec »

TerenureJim wrote:In Murrayfield with its 67k capacity I'd say we had about 50k+ in the stadium that day. Edinburgh was blue for the weekend.
50k+ Leinster fans? Dream on, pal!
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

honeyec wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:In Murrayfield with its 67k capacity I'd say we had about 50k+ in the stadium that day. Edinburgh was blue for the weekend.
Harsh, I didn't take a head count on the way in but the place was a sea of blue with one or two green pockets IMO we were in the 50k category, agree to disagree so I guess.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

TerenureJim wrote:
honeyec wrote:
Harsh, I didn't take a head count on the way in but the place was a sea of blue with one or two green pockets IMO we were in the 50k category, agree to disagree so I guess.
Agreed

The walk to the ground was amazing, everybody decked out in blue it seemed

There were tigers fans in the ground, but not very many it seemed
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

we never got to bottom out why the tigers fans never turned up in numbers given that (a) they are so-called they best supported team in england and (b) they were favorites? They never showed!!

The IT reported that saints returned some of their allocation - are they just too much of home birds to travel or is it that the premiership is only what matters?? Compared to the munster tigers final - the tigers were really absent against us
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I was at Murrayfield and I'd say we have about 30,000 - 35,000. An excellent turnout.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Have heard prices in cardiff have been criticised for prices and this is factor in tickets still being on sale.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

tones wrote:Have heard prices in cardiff have been criticised for prices and this is factor in tickets still being on sale.
Complete non story in the IT. . shock horror - hotels hike rates on an event weekend :shock: . . . . Economics 101 at work, aka supply and demand.

Happens in Edinburgh (same shortage of beds) and also in cardiff on International weekends. . .infact happens all over the world.

Personally think even if the final was on in Paris or Rome that it wouldn't be a sellout - we are in the middle of a deep recession (for both sets of supporters) London may have sold out as its easier to do a day trip yourself but anything that costs money is going to be affected in these times.

Don't forget that we have 450k unemployed people out there - a steep increase since the last final, obvioulsy some of those will be Leinster supporters (or just people that used to go for a weekend on the lash) who just can't afford to go at the moment.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

sheepshagger wrote: Complete non story in the IT. . shock horror - hotels hike rates on an event weekend :shock: . . . . Economics 101 at work, aka supply and demand.

Happens in Edinburgh (same shortage of beds) and also in cardiff on International weekends. . .infact happens all over the world.

Personally think even if the final was on in Paris or Rome that it wouldn't be a sellout - we are in the middle of a deep recession (for both sets of supporters) London may have sold out as its easier to do a day trip yourself but anything that costs money is going to be affected in these times.

Don't forget that we have 450k unemployed people out there - a steep increase since the last final, obvioulsy some of those will be Leinster supporters (or just people that used to go for a weekend on the lash) who just can't afford to go at the moment.
A - shock horror the Irish Times is economically illiterate!
B - I agree with all of this. It's not that people in general couldn't go to Cardiff, but it is very difficult to justify what would have to be left out of the budget to do it. In perspective it's actually not a lot of money but discretionary spending is way down. In a recession people save if they have money left over.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Only 15,000 according to the Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 40452.html
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

deco wrote:Only 15,000 according to the Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 40452.html
Between 30 & 40K will be the number of blues in the stadium. People are flying into, Luton,Bristol, Birmingham etc. Confident of a big turn out!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Cant see us getting anywhere near that number. 15,000 - 20,000 at a stretch. Still a great turnout all the same.
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

I agree 15,000 is all that will travel which is very good

You cant go on fact Leionster sold their full allocation I know loads of guys who applied for maximum allocation and are travelling with spares.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

scrum25 wrote:I agree 15,000 is all that will travel which is very good

You cant go on fact Leionster sold their full allocation I know loads of guys who applied for maximum allocation and are travelling with spares.
or people who didn't go anywhere the ballot as they bought from TM.

Any numbers on travelling being thrown around are a guess. . .
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Indeed. It's all guesswork.

Personally I think there'll be 20k leinster supporters in there. That's inclusive of all of us Uk based fans, plus the other irish fans who'll support us on the day.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

glenageary wrote:My bet is:

25,000 travelling leinster fans

20,000 travelling saints fans

another 2000 Irish fans of assorted colours, mostly shouting for us

3000 assorted welsh fans (remember the tickets are expensive for a neutral), but again mostly shouting for us

5000 assorted HEC and other corporates, who will probably be confused by the shape of the ball

Giving about 55,000 - meaning some empty seats!, basically the same volume as Edinburgh - the lack of hotels etc is a big issue and frankly cardiff has a great stadium but bugger all else - and with money tight!

I am still guessing that 25K will be the limit - and a great turn out that will be. All you need is 3 leinsterfans together and you have a party.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I'm guessing 40k will travel, I like the guessing game. It's not as fun as hungry hungry hippos though.