how many will travel

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

glenageary
Mullet

how many will travel

Post by glenageary »

My bet is:

25,000 travelling leinster fans

20,000 travelling saints fans

another 2000 Irish fans of assorted colours, mostly shouting for us

3000 assorted welsh fans (remember the tickets are expensive for a neutral), but again mostly shouting for us

5000 assorted HEC and other corporates, who will probably be confused by the shape of the ball

Giving about 55,000 - meaning some empty seats!, basically the same volume as Edinburgh - the lack of hotels etc is a big issue and frankly cardiff has a great stadium but bugger all else - and with money tight!
Skinfull
Mullet

Re: how many will travel

Post by Skinfull »

Getting tickets to the game is never an issue. Its always travelling options and accommodation. I hope this will be a sell out but hell, who knows. I'm scraping he barrell to get over there and I'm sure I'm not the only one. In fact the HEC FINAL OFFERED thread is full of people pulling out and not just Munster fans.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

just check the ferries and there is still availability.

I think travelling by car is still on option - but I have always found that accomodation is chronic in Cardiff, I booked the trip directly after I got home from the Racing Metro game and could only get a hotel in Bridgend.

I suggest that an option is to stay in Carmarten and train it to cardiff - i did that once when I went to the munster BO game. Shite hotel called the boars head!

I think the prices are going to turn people off - Wales Tourism is a rip off
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

I dont think many in red will be cheering us on......they dont want Leinster to have the same HC record as them

sure i only got some verbals from an old Red Grandad the other day 'youll be great like us when you win it twice'

i just stared back
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Leezer wrote:I dont think many in red will be cheering us on......they dont want Leinster to have the same HC record as them

sure i only got some verbals from an old Red Grandad the other day 'youll be great like us when you win it twice'

i just stared back

There are some red fans that are true rubgy people and will support us, as I have done for them when I attended their finals in cardiff against the Tigers and BO. There is a point however that it is more difficult to shout for a team when it is going for its 2nd title!! I didnt bother travelling to support Munster after they won the cup!!
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

glenageary wrote:
There is a point however that it is more difficult to shout for a team when it is going for its 2nd title!! I didnt bother travelling to support Munster after they won the cup!!

trust me they think they are above us with their 2 H-Cups.....they never seem to mention Toulouse though!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Not so sure we will be in the majority in Cardiff. 20k were at Milton Keynes, Surely 90% of these were Saints fans? I'd say even mroe will go for the final, bear in mind there's still tickets on TB. It's only a 2 hour train ride from Brum for their fans. Or about a 90 minute drive.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Degz wrote:Not so sure we will be in the majority in Cardiff. 20k were at Milton Keynes, Surely 90% of these were Saints fans? I'd say even mroe will go for the final, bear in mind there's still tickets on TB. It's only a 2 hour train ride from Brum for their fans. Or about a 90 minute drive.
Given how close MK is and they couldn't sell it out in the previous two rounds I'm not sure their support will travel or is even that numerous. The Ulster fans boulstered the numbers for the 1/4 and the semi was a good few k off capacity in MK as far as I could tell. They have a small catchment area in comparision to the other big English teams.

I think maybe we could be looking at about 40k+ from Leinster, especially as each season ticket holder seems to have nabbed two tickets at least.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Are we factoring in our fans living in England.

I know a lot of people going to Cardiff who live abroad.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Leezer wrote:
glenageary wrote:
There is a point however that it is more difficult to shout for a team when it is going for its 2nd title!! I didnt bother travelling to support Munster after they won the cup!!

trust me they think they are above us with their 2 H-Cups.....they never seem to mention Toulouse though!
We need 3 cups. Because with 2 they will just point to 4 finals. With 4 finals they will point to 13 years in a row of knockout HC (a serious feat that may never be repeated, not by us for another 10 years)
3 Cups and they can feck off! :D
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

johng wrote:
Leezer wrote:
glenageary wrote:

We need 3 cups. Because with 2 they will just point to 4 finals. With 4 finals they will point to 13 years in a row of knockout HC (a serious feat that may never be repeated, not by us for another 10 years)
A drive for five will shut everyone up :happy clapper:
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

johng wrote:
Leezer wrote: We need 3 cups. Because with 2 they will just point to 4 finals. With 4 finals they will point to 13 years in a row of knockout HC (a serious feat that may never be repeated, not by us for another 10 years)

Athenry's in Connacht. Sorts out any argument about who's better!

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Very confident that we will out number the saints fans. I reckon we will have close to 40,000 Leinster supporters on the day!
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

40,000 in the current climate would be amazing!!

I think we got ~35K in Edinburgh and remember we floated there on the memory of the 25-6 Croke park result!!! Edinburgh was a better place too - even Murrayfield, which is 55K capacity, was not a sellout with plenty of tickets going on the day.

I think the fact that the tigers fans had to fork out cash for the twickers Premiership final the week before had an effect on their turnout which was very low.

I seriously doubt 40,000 leinster fans will attend. I still reakon that 20K is realistic - the ferries still have spare capacity as I write so it does not look like a rush to me!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

glenageary wrote:40,000 in the current climate would be amazing!!

I think we got ~35K in Edinburgh and remember we floated there on the memory of the 25-6 Croke park result!!! Edinburgh was a better place too - even Murrayfield, which is 55K 67.5K capacity, was not a sellout with plenty of tickets going on the day.

I think the fact that the tigers fans had to fork out cash for the twickers Premiership final the week before had an effect on their turnout which was very low.

I seriously doubt 40,000 leinster fans will attend. I still reakon that 20K is realistic - the ferries still have spare capacity as I write so it does not look like a rush to me!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I think we got ~35K in Edinburgh and remember we floated there on the memory of the 25-6 Croke park result!!! Edinburgh was a better place too - even Murrayfield, which is 55K capacity, was not a sellout with plenty of tickets going on the day.

In Murrayfield with its 67k capacity I'd say we had about 50k+ in the stadium that day. Edinburgh was blue for the weekend, and while its a far nicer town to visit I reckon the proximity of Cardiff will lead to at least 40k and more besides heading over from here.

Yes ferries have capacity but given the number of sailings and the capacity of the boats it takes some major movement of people to fill them up. If you want a real estimate of the crowd check out how many hotel rooms there are within 50-100km of Cardiff and then see how many have rooms available.

The place will be packed to the rafters and the atmosphere awesome.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

johng wrote:

I think we got ~35K in Edinburgh and remember we floated there on the memory of the 25-6 Croke park result!!! Edinburgh was a better place too - even Murrayfield, which is 55K 67.5K capacity, was not a sellout with plenty of tickets going on the day.

I think that there was only 55K in the stadium, the remaining 12.5K where outside in the queue trying to get beer with me!!! - thanks for the correction! but do ye remember the brutal difficulty getting beer in murray field!! I hate to admit it but I missed our try due to it!!
dubh_linn
Beginner

Post by dubh_linn »

"but do ye remember the brutal difficulty getting beer in murray field!! I hate to admit it but I missed our try due to it!!"

yeah i do remember that queue it was brutal!...left 3 mins before half time and got back 5 minster after half time.,..its somebody elses turn to queue this year!! :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

dubh_linn wrote:"but do ye remember the brutal difficulty getting beer in murray field!! I hate to admit it but I missed our try due to it!!"

yeah i do remember that queue it was brutal!...left 3 mins before half time and got back 5 minster after half time.,..its somebody elses turn to queue this year!! :D
Miss even one second of a HC final just to get drink? :shock: Are you on drugs? .....Oh.... No I forgot.. drink. :lol:
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

dubh_linn wrote:"but do ye remember the brutal difficulty getting beer in murray field!! I hate to admit it but I missed our try due to it!!"

I hope I don't p1$$ off the mocker Gods but the Millenium Stadium is usually great for getting the beer in nice six glass holders and quick service :D