Cardiff restaurants/bars/hotels

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

El Diablo
Mullet

Cardiff restaurants/bars/hotels

Post by El Diablo »

I have had some bad experiences in Cardiff. Can't get into any of the the bars, all half decent restaurants booked out, hotels close to the ground all jam packed. Anyone any suggestions for a nice lunch within 20/25 mins walk from the ground. Somewhere with a good atmosphere but with something more that burgers and chips. Also for after the game, where will it be possible to get a drink without having to queue for half an hour? Perhaps a hotel out the town a bit that won't be too packed?
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Cardiff restaurants/bars/hotels

Post by Hornet »

El Diablo wrote:I have had some bad experiences in Cardiff. Can't get into any of the the bars, all half decent restaurants booked out, hotels close to the ground all jam packed. Anyone any suggestions for a nice lunch within 20/25 mins walk from the ground. Somewhere with a good atmosphere but with something more that burgers and chips. Also for after the game, where will it be possible to get a drink without having to queue for half an hour? Perhaps a hotel out the town a bit that won't be too packed?
Try the Cardiff Bay area, about 1Km away from the Millenium Stadium. Check link for Bars and Restaurants:-
http://www.cardiffbay.co.uk/index.html
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The ERC fanzone thing sounds decent but I'd say getting in will be harder than Mike Ross's face pre-scrum V Italy.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

TerenureJim wrote:The ERC fanzone thing sounds decent but I'd say getting in will be harder than Mike Ross's face pre-scrum V Italy.
Better chance getting into that than a pub....it fits 4-5k people...the ERC tweeted earlier today to say the Dr Phil will also be making an appearance.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

If you come our of the stadium and hang a left away from the town you will have much better luck. Was there for the grans slam and after about 10 mins walk hit a bar that was reasonably full for atmosphere but not ignorantly packed in like sardines.

Other that that you cant go wrong food wise with cardiff bay though there arent many pubs. Most restaurants down there though have "bars" in them.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

From Cardiff Supports Club:

From: CBSC [mailto:cardiffbluessupportersclub@hotmail.com]
Sent: 18 May 2011 22:43
To: El Diablo
Subject: Re:

Hello Cardiff can get rather manic on a big rugby day and thanks to the Amlin Final on the Friday there are lots of people coming to visit!

Within 20 minutes or so of Cardiff town centre is Cardiff Bay. Lots of bars, and a wide choice of restaurants from Chinese, through Italian to Indian and everything in between. This may be an option for you - as I say it's around a 20 minute walk back into Cardiff.

Most places in town will be very busy. Just outside the town centre, around a 10-15 minute walk is Cathedral Road which has several bars and restaurants, The Mochyn Ddu serves nice food and beer, and is adjacent to Glamorgan Cricket ground. This gets very busy on an international day but may be less so for the HCup.

Not sure if you have ever been to Cardiff Arms Park, until recently the home of a Cardiff Blues - I understand from the Steward at the Arms Park clubhouse that there will be a supporters village on the pitch so this may be another option.

Another food option would be an area called Canton, again several restaurants and bars and the 10-15 minute walk out of town may take you away from most of the crowds.

Hope you have a great trip.

Stu
CBSC.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Any restaurant I tried to book is booked out
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Leinster_Dave
Bookworm

Post by Leinster_Dave »

That Cardiff bay area looks decent, plenty of restaurants, might head down there on the Friday night - might not be too busy then
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

icebaby wrote:Any restaurant I tried to book is booked out
sh*t.....I must get on the blower today. I don't want to be like in Edinburgh....spent half the day around Princes St looking for somewhere decent to eat.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

El Diablo wrote:
sh*t.....I must get on the blower today. I don't want to be like in Edinburgh....spent half the day around Princes St looking for somewhere decent to eat.
Tried about 5 for soon after the game and they all said they were not taking bookings because of the match - they would operate a list system on the night and call people as the table became available.

Luckily, the chipper said they would just ask people to form a queue.
Get in the f%~king bag.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Slipper1 wrote:
El Diablo wrote:
Tried about 5 for soon after the game and they all said they were not taking bookings because of the match - they would operate a list system on the night and call people as the table became available.

Luckily, the chipper said they would just ask people to form a queue.
Just booked a place on-line:
http://www.bellaitalia.co.uk/book-a-table-online
Its ont he way to the Cardiff Bay area I think:

Red Dragon Centre
Atlantic Wharf Leisure Centre
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
CF10 5JY
Tel: 029 20472009
Hopefully it is OK, at least we won't starve!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Whats wrong with chip alley. . .just off Mary St ?!?!

Such beautiful delights as kebabs, pies, fish & chips or (my personal favourite) chips on their own with rich gravy (with complimentary plastic knives and forks).

Later in the night the pile of polysterine containers down the alley is some sight :P
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sheepshagger wrote:Whats wrong with chip alley. . .just off Mary St ?!?!

Such beautiful delights as kebabs, pies, fish & chips or (my personal favourite) chips on their own with rich gravy (with complimentary plastic knives and forks).

Later in the night the pile of polysterine containers down the alley is some sight :P
Olny if it's the Man V Food style sauasage gravy from the deep south of the US!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

sheepshagger wrote:Whats wrong with chip alley. . .just off Mary St ?!?!

When you see people starting to fall asleep in the pile of take away cartons in that alley, you know it is time to go home!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

As others have said Cardiff Bay is a good spot. I have been down there on matchday for the last 2 finals and will be there again this time. Lots of nice restaraunts with outdoor seating areas as well.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Have been scouting all week for food options. Seems to be quite a small city in that sense.

Spotted this on Facebook last night:
http://www.mylunch.ie/lunchbox/CardiffB ... nBlue/2002
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

wixfjord wrote:Have been scouting all week for food options. Seems to be quite a small city in that sense.

Spotted this on Facebook last night:
http://www.mylunch.ie/lunchbox/CardiffB ... nBlue/2002
There is a deal in Tiger Tiger in the OLSC away guide aswell.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Do they do food SS?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

wixfjord wrote:Do they do food SS?
Yep, lunch and dinner...20% off if you quote OLSC, details in the guide...Might pay to book.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Check that the bed ain't wet if you're staying in Cardiff's newest spot !!!!

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/517099/
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP