Perrys Bestwestern

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

waterboy
Graduate

Perrys Bestwestern

Post by waterboy »

Anyone else booked in with these get a phone call at the weekend claiming they had suffered extensive flooding and telling you they were moving you to a different hotel? I'm a bit scooby dubious about their story so just trying to find out if anyone else got a similar call
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Perrys Bestwestern

Post by johng »

waterboy wrote:Anyone else booked in with these get a phone call at the weekend claiming they had suffered extensive flooding and telling you they were moving you to a different hotel? I'm a bit scooby dubious about their story so just trying to find out if anyone else got a similar call
Yup. Got moved to a much less convenient hotel way out the Dublin road.

As it happened, I had another hotel that a mate of mine cancelled. Cheaper and much posher.

Another mate has a B&B close to the ground at 72 juros for 2 people. If anyone is interested.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

waterboy wrote:Anyone else booked in with these get a phone call at the weekend claiming they had suffered extensive flooding and telling you they were moving you to a different hotel? I'm a bit scooby dubious about their story so just trying to find out if anyone else got a similar call
Just went onto their website and can book for one night for tonight up to Friday night and from Sunday night on. Very strange that the flooding is only affecting Saturday.

Might be an idea to let the OLSC know about this - perhaps, along with the list of recommended hotels in an area, we should also have a list of blacklisted ones.
johng wrote: Yup. Got moved to a much less convenient hotel way out the Dublin road.
As a matter of interest John - which hotel did they try to move to to?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

If you can still book for the Saturday night i'd be calling them to demand one of those rooms (incase its only affecting some parts of the hotel).

Agree it sounds dodgy.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Looks well dodgy, I had a friend contact them over the weekend while I was over in Cardiff and they have practically admitted it's to shift low rates out so they can charge more for the rooms. I'd lost my voice since the weekend away (not like me at all), so calling them this afternoon. They said on the phone that the hotel I was being moved to was 5 mins up the road (Kilmurray), turns out its miles outside the town.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Xanthippe wrote:[
johng wrote: Yup. Got moved to a much less convenient hotel way out the Dublin road.
As a matter of interest John - which hotel did they try to move to to?
Killmurray same as d'other fellah.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

They really need to be named and shamed for pulling a stunt like that. . .

Conor Pope and http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/ spring to mind.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

We are booked in there - we got a 49 euro room but have not (yet) had a call but we booked via a third party so maybe they cant contact us.

We only booked there as we were probably traveling with JohnG and now he's been moved anyhow.....

I imagine they are regretting their discounted rates and want to screw punters for more cash as all the hotels in town will be full. Guess we will see what happens when we check in.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I suspected this might happen at a few hotels when I found cheap rates on Saturday last just after the match. I got Jury's for E49 and am worried now.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Just off the phone to them, explaining wasn't good enough being shifted that far out of town, especially when I had booked before the semi's had been played. Looks like it's been sorted out but I'll see what happens when I turn up to check in. In fairness she did say on the phone that as I had booked early I shouldn't have been called and it was later bookings that should have been called, (at odds with the room rate thing my friend had been told at the weekend), just have to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I know of another person who had a better rate that me who wasn't called so maybe true. He's stayed there before so maybe repeat customers were left alone?
Last edited by waterboy on May 24th, 2011, 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mikey wrote:We are booked in there - we got a 49 euro room but have not (yet) had a call but we booked via a third party so maybe they cant contact us.
Bookings.com?

That's who I got it through. They still have your phone no.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Hmm, booked here through Lidl Breaks and haven't heard anything yet. Don't really care anyway, as we've decided to come home after the match.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:
mikey wrote:We are booked in there - we got a 49 euro room but have not (yet) had a call but we booked via a third party so maybe they cant contact us.
Bookings.com?

That's who I got it through. They still have your phone no.
I booked through booking.com too (though at the Kilmurry Lodge not the Best Western). Got a phone call from the hotel while I was sitting in Holyhead on Sunday evening to ask if I would be prepared to confirm I was coming down on Saturday - told them I was and that I'd be happy for them to charge me in advance if it made it any better for them - they seemed to be delighted with this response.

I'd imagine all the people making advance bookings with companies like booking.com, who offer full refunds up to the day before, are a nightmare for the hotels.

Btw, for anyone driving to the match in future - the Kilmurry Lodge (if you can get in early and get a decent room price) offer a shuttle service to and from the match.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Beanbag
Learner

Post by Beanbag »

We only booked there as we were probably traveling with JohnG and now he's been moved anyhow.....

I imagine they are regretting their discounted rates and want to screw punters for more cash as all the hotels in town will be full. Guess we will see what happens when we check in.

better take your sleeping bag just in case
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Ring them directly and confirm your booking to be safe.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

Sounds as if they could have been over booked, with all these booking websites. Regardless, they are booked to capacity, so if they did have some flood damage.....they would have no alternative but to try and relocate some of their guests.
The Big Stick
Bookworm

Post by The Big Stick »

Had been booked into the Kilmurray Lodge but now can't stay.
That means there are 3 rooms that have just become available there if anyone is stuck.
Phone +35361331133 if ya need accomodation.
I had booked online with booking.com and they were 69 yo yo's for each room.
Bookworm

Post by dave13 »

Cancelled 3 rooms in the best western at lunch. seemed okay with it, as I missed a call from them at the weekend, they were probably trying to move me.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Darce wrote:

Ring them directly and confirm your booking to be safe.

Sound advice - will do so.....we used Hotels.com and they take the money for the booking up front - booking.com I think dont charge upfront as you pay the hotel, so maybe thats why they look to bump those bookings as they dont have the cash in the bank?
bl1986

Post by bl1986 »

johng wrote:
Yup. Got moved to a much less convenient hotel way out the Dublin road.

As it happened, I had another hotel that a mate of mine cancelled. Cheaper and much posher.

Another mate has a B&B close to the ground at 72 juros for 2 people. If anyone is interested.
Don't suppose your mate still has that B&B?