Glasgow Away Roll-Call

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Phil06
Graduate

Re: Glasgow Away Roll-Call

Post by Phil06 »

Over Saturday, back Sunday night.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

elfan wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
elfan wrote:Bringing 16 yo son over . Anyone know if this will cause a problem for us getting into Walkabout on sunday after the match?
Could do. Some of these places don't have a license to have children on the premises at any time of the day. Might be worth sending them an email to check. The place is an awful kip anyway so you won't be missing out on much in any case.
Thanks Donny. Will try email. Just wanted to be with leinster gang. Olsc guide recommends walkabout. Probably other bars with kids license by the sound of it anyway
Ah fair enough. Might even end up there myself, as I know feck all bars in Glasgow and at least the other HC match will be on afterwards before we fly home. As they're doing food all day, hopefully you'll be fine but you never know with Scottish licensing laws, they can be awful pedantic.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
elfan wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Could do. Some of these places don't have a license to have children on the premises at any time of the day. Might be worth sending them an email to check. The place is an awful kip anyway so you won't be missing out on much in any case.
Thanks Donny. Will try email. Just wanted to be with leinster gang. Olsc guide recommends walkabout. Probably other bars with kids license by the sound of it anyway
Ah fair enough. Might even end up there myself, as I know feck all bars in Glasgow and at least the other HC match will be on afterwards before we fly home. As they're doing food all day, hopefully you'll be fine but you never know with Scottish licensing laws, they can be awful pedantic.
That dour stuff is not just an ethnic stereotype. Some of the people up there are just allergic to people having any fun....at all...It just upsets them. This is reflected in the licensing laws.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I remember I was up in Murrayfield for the pre WC friendly in '07. You weren't allowed a pint anywhere in the ground, had to have your hand stamped and go and stand out in a field out the back in the pissing rain.

Fecking Knox ;)
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Post by lineens weegie army »

Degz wrote:I remember I was up in Murrayfield for the pre WC friendly in '07. You weren't allowed a pint anywhere in the ground, had to have your hand stamped and go and stand out in a field out the back in the pissing rain.

Fecking Knox ;)
That would be a throwback to the days when the SRU stupidly decided to opt in to the alcohol ban.

It was lifted soon after - I enjoyed my first ever pint at Murrayfield during that World Cup, then decided that with extortionate prices I would go back to the hip flask option :)

no idea about Walkabout (only been in once, and even that I don't remember), sorry.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LWA, we'll be arriving in Glasgow Central Station about half ten on Sunday morning. Is there anywhere near there you'd recommend for a nice breakfast?

Also is there any pubs open at that time, just in case the thirstier members of our party want a pint! :-)
Mika
Bookworm

Post by Mika »

There's a few Wetherspoon pubs very close to Glasgow central that all do a decent breakfast which I think you can also get an early beer once you order it with your food (you used to be able to anyway it's been a while since I've been over!).
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Mika wrote:There's a few Wetherspoon pubs very close to Glasgow central that all do a decent breakfast which I think you can also get an early beer once you order it with your food (you used to be able to anyway it's been a while since I've been over!).
Cheers
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Post by lineens weegie army »

Mika wrote:There's a few Wetherspoon pubs very close to Glasgow central that all do a decent breakfast which I think you can also get an early beer once you order it with your food (you used to be able to anyway it's been a while since I've been over!).
This.

Not sure about the ones around central (though I don't see why they would be different), but the Wetherspoons around Queen St serve alcohol from 11, but can serve earlier if it's with food. Not really familiar enough with Central Glasgow to suggest anywhere else TBH.

Just got an email from the club - and apparently all 3 stands are going to be open on sunday (first time this has happened for anyone except Edinburgh! And quite possibly the last time this ever happens at Firhill).

More than 5,400 tickets 'sold' already, and we have been selling around 2,000 on the day for most games this season. Biggest ever Heineken Cup crowd in Glasgow was 5,764 set 11 years ago... Looking like that is going to be smashed on Sunday! :D

Couple of points for you from this though - anyone who hasn't yet bought tickets, note that (and I have no idea why) the Main Stand (the old stand containing the dressing rooms ect, NOT the biggest stand) is un-licensed (that nothing is said of the North Stand I assume means it is licensed). Something to bear in mind when buying tickets if you haven't already.

Secondly - anyone who has bought tickets online to collect on the day, or is yet to buy tickets, I would suggest leaving plenty of time to collect them. Turnstiles and bars don't open till 11.15, but the ticket office is open from 10.30. Or anyone yet to buy tickets who is arriving on saturday, would suggest popping into Greaves Sports (there is one a 2 minute walk from Central Station) and buying tickets there. This isn't an option for those arriving on sunday morning though.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Thanks for all that LWA :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Donny B. wrote:LWA, we'll be arriving in Glasgow Central Station about half ten on Sunday morning. Is there anywhere near there you'd recommend for a nice breakfast?

Also is there any pubs open at that time, just in case the thirstier members of our party want a pint! :-)

Oh yeah....and who might they be Donny?? :wink:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Donny B. wrote:LWA, we'll be arriving in Glasgow Central Station about half ten on Sunday morning. Is there anywhere near there you'd recommend for a nice breakfast?

Oh yeah....and who might they be Donny?? :wink:
Not me actually, off the beer til Paddy's day.

But it's not for me to deny some of the other members of the travelling group their pint of manky Tennants! :D
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Waxy's does breakfast from 11am (just off buchanan st) which is probably your best city centre pub bet apart from walkabout.

The 2 main city centre shopping centres (and therefore food courts) are open from 10, if you walk to the game there's bound to be pubs open at the top of sauchiehall st (although not much time for decent refreshments!).

If you're looking for decent sunday lunch head to ashton lane/byres road in the west end after the game. Multiple places to choose from.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cheers for the info LWA.

Hope you get as big a crowd as possible and we get a really good atmosphere. It will make a change from the usual Murrayfuneral atmosphere we've got on previous European trips to Scotland.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

kermischocolate wrote:Waxy's does breakfast from 11am (just off buchanan st) which is probably your best city centre pub bet apart from walkabout.

The 2 main city centre shopping centres (and therefore food courts) are open from 10, if you walk to the game there's bound to be pubs open at the top of sauchiehall st (although not much time for decent refreshments!).

If you're looking for decent sunday lunch head to ashton lane/byres road in the west end after the game. Multiple places to choose from.
Thanks. Think it will be a breakfast in 'spoons and a fast black out to the game.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Here you go......
http://www.list.co.uk/article/24430-the ... edinburgh/
"Look what Leinster have done again"
ringer
Learner

Post by ringer »

Breakfast is a must, great work here from you both.
Then lunch, and then a early dinner will have me sorted....;)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

All available tickets for the Jackie Husband stand have been snapped up, with seats in the North and main stands now on sale. Alcohol will now be on sale in all three stands.

Supporters are urged to buy their tickets in advance, to beat the game-day queues and save money. Adult tickets purchased before midnight on Saturday offer a £5 discount on the match-day price of £20. Senior citizens/students £10, under-18s £5.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Browns looks like a nice option too, seems the OLSC have done a deal and you get 10% off food anytime on Sunday when you show a match ticket, includes breakfast from 10am

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official- ... 6189359637

Should be in the city centre by then after the train from Prestwick :idea:
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Yes, can everyone spend loads of dough in Browns please, I fancy a bonus this year.