Glasgow Away Roll-Call

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Re: Glasgow Away Roll-Call

Post by lineens weegie army »

elfan wrote:anybody know if theres any problem with the pubs in Glasgow if your wearing(leinster) colours?
Shouldn't be any issues with Leinster colours - apart from maybe some confusion as to which team you support (I get that with Glasgow colours sometimes :( )

It is a divided city, but most city centre or west end pubs are fairly neutral (or at least aren't likely to cause any problems). Anywhere that takes issue is best avoided anyway!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I remember the one game I was there for in 2006, I was watching the HC action the day before in the Outback wearing the 2005 Lions jersey. Even though I'd be sitting there for a while, a bouncer eventually approached me asking me what the jersey was. I said it was a rugby jersey and he said no problem. Still was a little weird but shows the sensitivity about the issue, I suppose.
ringer
Learner

Post by ringer »

Sunday morning prestwick back same day last flight.
First away match for me really looking forward to it.
Have to keep my head low over there as my uncle is a pastor in glasgow, no bloody way he will be seeing me.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Do you reckon you can get from Firhill to the Central station in under 40 minutes - we may go by train but its a bit tight after the game..

and

Nigel Owens to ref us.......hummm
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

mikey wrote:Do you reckon you can get from Firhill to the Central station in under 40 minutes - we may go by train but its a bit tight after the game..

and

simple answer... yes- should take about 20mins, if that, on a sunday afternoon.
obviously if you have a taxi booked it is the easiest way of doing things.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

kermischocolate wrote:
mikey wrote:Do you reckon you can get from Firhill to the Central station in under 40 minutes - we may go by train but its a bit tight after the game..

and

simple answer... yes- should take about 20mins, if that, on a sunday afternoon.
obviously if you have a taxi booked it is the easiest way of doing things.

Thanks - booking a Taxi sounds to be the plan.....
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Finally gave in and booked the Hilton on William St. No doubt the bar will close at 10pm on the dot, but that's probably no harm as we're on the 7.30am flight the following morning and I'm planning to go straight to work from the airport.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

honeyec wrote:Finally gave in and booked the Hilton on William St. No doubt the bar will close at 10pm on the dot, but that's probably no harm as we're on the 7.30am flight the following morning and I'm planning to go straight to work from the airport.
They have a good residents bar there...... I've been there until 4/5am at times.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

aisling7 wrote:
honeyec wrote:Finally gave in and booked the Hilton on William St. No doubt the bar will close at 10pm on the dot, but that's probably no harm as we're on the 7.30am flight the following morning and I'm planning to go straight to work from the airport.
They have a good residents bar there...... I've been there until 4/5am at times.
There goes that idea, so.

*reaches for holiday request form*
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

honeyec wrote:
aisling7 wrote:
There goes that idea, so.

*reaches for holiday request form*
No sleep, straight to the airport, 40 min power nap on the plane.

Work will be a doddle.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

If your lucky you might even spot a match official having a post match drink In there!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

sheepshagger wrote:
If your lucky you might even spot a match official having a post match drink In there!
Hopefully one that hasn't just dished out four yellows to Leinster.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Anyone know how many travelling?
Would reckon a good number from uk coming, we know of 6 with us.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Day trip boooked with Aer Lingus BUT it all depends on whether I am still on crutches by then or not - fingers crossed...
"Look what Leinster have done again"
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Giving it a miss...no trips til Belfast and Newport I'd say....tis the recession you know..... :(
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Roll on Sunday morning 2.30am coach trip :D
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Just a tip for those going through Prestwick. You get 50% discount on your train fare into Glasgow if you show your flight confirmation when buying your ticket on the train.

http://www.glasgowprestwick.com/to-and- ... fault.html

All passengers traveling to and from the airport receive 50% discount on the standard fare.

Passengers joining the train at Glasgow Prestwick Airport require to show their official flight confirmation and photo id to the train conductor when buying their ticket (there is no ticketing office at Prestwick Airport).
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Bringing 16 yo son over . Anyone know if this will cause a problem for us getting into Walkabout on sunday after the match?
elfan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

elfan wrote:Bringing 16 yo son over . Anyone know if this will cause a problem for us getting into Walkabout on sunday after the match?
Could do. Some of these places don't have a license to have children on the premises at any time of the day. Might be worth sending them an email to check. The place is an awful kip anyway so you won't be missing out on much in any case.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Donny B. wrote:
elfan wrote:Bringing 16 yo son over . Anyone know if this will cause a problem for us getting into Walkabout on sunday after the match?
Could do. Some of these places don't have a license to have children on the premises at any time of the day. Might be worth sending them an email to check. The place is an awful kip anyway so you won't be missing out on much in any case.
Thanks Donny. Will try email. Just wanted to be with leinster gang. Olsc guide recommends walkabout. Probably other bars with kids license by the sound of it anyway
elfan