H-Cup semi final venue

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

H-Cup semi final venue

Post by curates_egg »

Hi, there. I don't post here much but hoping someone can solve this riddle for me, as regards the venue of the semi-final should Clermont win.
In today's Irish Times, Gerry Thornley writes that the home semi-final in Leinster's side of the draw would be in Wembley (for Sarries) or Bordeaux (for Clermont). http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 55271.html
Is this correct?
I thought Clermont played their big semi-type home games in either St Etienne or Lyon (which are both nearby).
Bordeaux is miles from Clermont. Is Thornley just making this up or has it been stated somewhere.

Don't worry, I am not getting ahead of myself and booking stuff yet but am coming up with some preliminary plans for a group of us Leinster supporters in Brussels.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: H-Cup semi final venue

Post by tackle-bag »

On the other side of the draw, I presume it will be in Lansdowne Road irrespective of whether Munster or Ulster win?

I'm really struggling to work out who I want to win that game. The victors will, in all likelihood, have to host Toulouse. I'm just not sure whether, even in front of a packed Aviva, Munster can pull that off with all of their squad difficulties. Ulster haven't been to the business end of the competition for years, but there's no doubting that they have the superior team on paper right now. I obviously want an all-Irish final, but just can't work out which team is more likely to deliver that eventuality.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Ulster did get to the quarters last year - beaten by Saints - dull game that neither team played especially well in.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Thanks guys but - before the thread turns into a discussion on the other side of the draw - any idea on the Leinster side and my question?
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

mikey wrote:Ulster did get to the quarters last year - beaten by Saints - dull game that neither team played especially well in.
Sorry, by "business end" I meant semis and final.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

curates_egg wrote:Hi, there. I don't post here much but hoping someone can solve this riddle for me, as regards the venue of the semi-final should Clermont win.
In today's Irish Times, Gerry Thornley writes that the home semi-final in Leinster's side of the draw would be in Wembley (for Sarries) or Bordeaux (for Clermont). http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 55271.html
Is this correct?
I thought Clermont played their big semi-type home games in either St Etienne or Lyon (which are both nearby).
Bordeaux is miles from Clermont. Is Thornley just making this up or has it been stated somewhere.

Don't worry, I am not getting ahead of myself and booking stuff yet but am coming up with some preliminary plans for a group of us Leinster supporters in Brussels.
http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/rugby/ ... 43053.html
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... 15#p474115
Check pages 15 and 16 of this thread
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Poster Rémy63 is from Clermont & is on here a fair bit. Send them a PM & i am sure they will be glad to help you out
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Merci beaucoup! Pity. I was looking forward to the bouchons in Lyon.
Bordeaux is a city of bad rugby memories as far as I am concerned - I was there for the Georgia débacle.
Still, the vino always provides mitigation.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

It's already been confirmed by the ERC that should Clermont get to the semis it will be in Bordeaux.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

curates_egg wrote:
Merci beaucoup! Pity. I was looking forward to the bouchons in Lyon.
Bordeaux is a city of bad rugby memories as far as I am concerned - I was there for the Georgia débacle.
Still, the vino always provides mitigation.
We stayed the night in Lyon on the way back from the Montpellier game. I can't say I was too impressed with the place, the Old Town was nice, it has two impressive cathedrals and we had a nice dinner in a Bouchon but that was about it.

I think Bordeaux would be a nicer city to visit for a match.
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Saracens have announced that they will play their semi-final in Twickenham if they get through
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

leinsterfan100 wrote:Saracens have announced that they will play their semi-final in Twickenham if they get through
Ha! And the mockery I received.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Dates and venues confirmed by ERC.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/16382.php

Winner of Munster v Ulster at LR on Sat 28 April. If Sarries win, SF at Twickers, If Clermont win, SF at Bordeaux - on Sun 29 April.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Sadly the Sunday kick-off and the already extortionate prices for flights to either location means my run of consecutive home and away Leinster HC matches will be coming to an end after six and a half seasons and 50 straight games.

:(
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:Sadly the Sunday kick-off and the already extortionate prices for flights to either location means my run of consecutive home and away Leinster HC matches will be coming to an end after six and a half seasons and 50 straight games.

Not if we lose on Saturday - then you'll be able to continue your run next season :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Sadly the Sunday kick-off and the already extortionate prices for flights to either location means my run of consecutive home and away Leinster HC matches will be coming to an end after six and a half seasons and 50 straight games.

Not if we lose on Saturday - then you'll be able to continue your run next season :twisted:
Never thought of that. C'mon Cardiff!!!! :D :wink:
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

That's some record in fairness......
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Sad to hear dude. Have been doing some research (just incase we beat Cardiff) and have managed to come up with some weird, but most importantly cheap, routes to the SF venues. We can discuss over a pint tomorrow!
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cianostays wrote:

Sad to hear dude. Have been doing some research (just incase we beat Cardiff) and have managed to come up with some weird, but most importantly cheap, routes to the SF venues. We can discuss over a pint tomorrow!
Good man! I'm expecting something like:

Dublin - Via - Fishguard
Fishguard - Via- Swansea
Swansea - Via - Dublin

start again........

Dublin via .............errrrrr.......Belfast, yeah ermem Belfst, no that's Belfast you pissed tw@t!

err......

errrrrrrmmmmmmmm........

Okay, that's enough for now but if you don't wan't anymore chapters of 'Carry on Ciano', get me a deal and right quick!!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cianostays wrote:

Good man! I'm expecting something like:

Dublin - Via - Fishguard
Fishguard - Via- Swansea
Swansea - Via - Dublin

start again........

Dublin via .............errrrrr.......Belfast, yeah ermem Belfst, no that's Belfast you pissed tw@t!

err......

errrrrrrmmmmmmmm........

Okay, that's enough for now but if you don't wan't anymore chapters of 'Carry on Ciano', get me a deal and right quick!!!!