Where are people staying for the final ?

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Re: Where are people staying for the final ?

Post by ad nauseam »

claire_m wrote:
mikerob wrote:
claire_m wrote:Or walk down to Green Park (which is no further), get the Victoria Line to Vauxhall and hop on a train to 'nam from there :idea:
May be best heading for W'loo however. Just the slower stopping trains call at Vauxhall while from W'loo there is the option of getting the faster trains that only stop at Clapham Junction and Richmond.

SW Trains are laying on extra trains from W'loo on Saturday.
True, but the Windsor train only has one additional stop (Putney) than the fast train. To be fair, the slowest train (ie stops at every station) only takes about an extra 10 minutes than the first one. If you're in a rush, then sure, go via Waterloo, but if you're not, it's one of those things that's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...
If there's one thing I hate about London, it's this integrated transport thing. Too many options! You have none of this confusing schyte in Dublin.
To the bitter and twisted, nothing is ever good enough.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

ad nauseam wrote:
If there's one thing I hate about London, it's this integrated transport thing. Too many options! You have none of this confusing schyte in Dublin.
Sorry! I was trying to say (in quite an inarticulate way!) that there are options other than heading to Waterloo. There's not much in it whichever route you take and of course if you go by Green Park, the AFFluent Leinster fan can always pop into Fortnum and Mason's or have tea at the Ritz :wink:
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I believe the Visitor Oyster cards start at £13 and include kids under 11 for free. It looks like they can be bought in the station at Gatwick.
Dont Panic!
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Dexter, Is Twickenham beyond the 6 Zones to which the Travel and Oyster cards apply?
ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Post by ad nauseam »

claire_m wrote:
ad nauseam wrote:
Sorry! I was trying to say (in quite an inarticulate way!) that there are options other than heading to Waterloo. There's not much in it whichever route you take and of course if you go by Green Park, the AFFluent Leinster fan can always pop into Fortnum and Mason's or have tea at the Ritz :wink:
:lol: Along with not having integrated transport, those are two other things we don't have in Dublin!
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

JohnB wrote:Dexter, Is Twickenham beyond the 6 Zones to which the Travel and Oyster cards apply?
Twickenham is in zone 5. You can use PAYG Oystercard for trips to Twickenham. You just need to remember to swipe the card at both ends or you get charged maximum fare. From what I remember, they don't have barriers at Twickenham station because of the crowds so you need to look out for the card readers.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

ad nauseam wrote: If there's one thing I hate about London, it's this integrated transport thing. Too many options! You have none of this confusing schyte in Dublin.
True. I mean waiting 30 minutes for a Bus which has is supposed to have a 10 minute frequency in Dublin as opposed to them turning up every 5 minutes on a similar route in London. The terrible idea of having a 24 hour service on most routes and a regular clockface service on all routes. Not to mention a smart card which you do not need to interface with the Driver to use, and is capped at a reasonable price how ever many journies you make. What were Londoners thinking about!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

mikerob wrote:
JohnB wrote:Dexter, Is Twickenham beyond the 6 Zones to which the Travel and Oyster cards apply?
Twickenham is in zone 5. You can use PAYG Oystercard for trips to Twickenham. You just need to remember to swipe the card at both ends or you get charged maximum fare. From what I remember, they don't have barriers at Twickenham station because of the crowds so you need to look out for the card readers.
This is definitely the case after the game (before the game, there are barriers that even if they are open, you can swipe). You'll go down the road just before the station to the car park and enter the station that way and they have swipe machines, so just remember to touch in.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

claire_m wrote:
mikerob wrote:
This is definitely the case after the game (before the game, there are barriers that even if they are open, you can swipe). You'll go down the road just before the station to the car park and enter the station that way and they have swipe machines, so just remember to touch in.
It's just like using the LUAS with a LUAS/Leap (not so) Smartcard. On the Buses, you only have to swipe your Oystercard once, when entering the Bus, as there is a single fare for whatever length of journey you do on that Bus. Travel Cards (non Oyster) just need to be shown to the Driver and inserted in the slot at Train/Tube barriers.
ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Post by ad nauseam »

Hornet wrote:
ad nauseam wrote: If there's one thing I hate about London, it's this integrated transport thing. Too many options! You have none of this confusing schyte in Dublin.
True. I mean waiting 30 minutes for a Bus which has is supposed to have a 10 minute frequency in Dublin as opposed to them turning up every 5 minutes on a similar route in London. The terrible idea of having a 24 hour service on most routes and a regular clockface service on all routes. Not to mention a smart card which you do not need to interface with the Driver to use, and is capped at a reasonable price how ever many journies you make. What were Londoners thinking about!
Too many options. Too bloody easy! I mean, where's the challenge? :wink:

(This is going off topic)
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

ad nauseam wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Too many options. Too bloody easy! I mean, where's the challenge? :wink:

(This is going off topic)
I love a good Public Transport challenge!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

3 hotels booked in various places... must remember to cancel 2
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4