Trains from Gatwick

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Scrumdog
Bookworm

Trains from Gatwick

Post by Scrumdog »

Went on national rail enquiries to try sort out trains from Gatwick to Reading. The best I could see was £51.80 off peak return group save return. Fri - Mon. for four people. It also says in very small print that this ticket is also usable on other off peak trains. That would mean we could use the same ticket to get to and from Twickenham ?? That would seem to be incredible good value. If any of our London based supporters could give us any more info that would be great. It was with First Great Western.
berniemac67
Mullet

Re: Trains from Gatwick

Post by berniemac67 »

i suspect this means you can use other routes to make your trip indirectly
the train operators are money grabbing b$&%@#ds so i doubt this includes anything other than 2 trips - one to reading from gatwaick and one to gatwick from reading
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Scrumdog
Bookworm

Post by Scrumdog »

Was thinking it would be something like that. £51.80 for four is not bad anyway. Thanks
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Scrumdog wrote:Went on national rail enquiries to try sort out trains from Gatwick to Reading. The best I could see was £51.80 off peak return group save return. Fri - Mon. for four people. It also says in very small print that this ticket is also usable on other off peak trains. That would mean we could use the same ticket to get to and from Twickenham ?? That would seem to be incredible good value. If any of our London based supporters could give us any more info that would be great. It was with First Great Western.
If they are FGW issued Tickets you can only use them on FGW services. There is only one FGW route from Gatwick Airport and that is to Reading via Guildford. Breaks of journey ARE NOT PERMITTED on discounted tickets and the discounted tickets are only be valid on FGW Trains. (I've Caps as some ticket inspectors will give you a hard time and relieve you of substantial amounts of cash/issue a fine if you break the ticket restrictions). The only tickets that are fully flexible and allow you to break your journey are the Anytime Single and Return Tickets. You would have to advise the booking clerk that you wish to route to Reading via Clapham Junction. See link:-
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/anytime.html
The link below is the ATOC Routeing guide. Don't forget that unlike Iarnrod Eireann the GB Railway system has several Train Operating Companies running on their system, and many tickets issued by one operator are not valid on other operators services, (Anytime fares are valid on all operators).
http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-set ... eing-guide
(Confused, well i've travelled the length and breadth of Britian and Ireland by Train over the last 4 decades and the present day routeing guide and ticketing policy is the most arcane and bewildering i've ever had to deal with).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Scrumdog wrote:Went on national rail enquiries to try sort out trains from Gatwick to Reading. The best I could see was £51.80 off peak return group save return. Fri - Mon. for four people. It also says in very small print that this ticket is also usable on other off peak trains. That would mean we could use the same ticket to get to and from Twickenham ?? That would seem to be incredible good value. If any of our London based supporters could give us any more info that would be great. It was with First Great Western.
All it means is that you are not time restricted (i.e. you can use the ticket to travel at another time as long as it's an off peak service on the same route)...

It will not enable you to route via Clapham and Twickenham. Gatwick to Reading is a direct service via Guildford. You'll need a separate ticket for Reading-Twickenham, which is also a direct service..

Gatwick-Reading is a bit further than Dublin to Gorey, so £6 each way per person is not not bad at all really... :wink:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Sea_point wrote:
All it means is that you are not time restricted (i.e. you can use the ticket to travel at another time as long as it's an off peak service on the same route)...

It will not enable you to route via Clapham and Twickenham. Gatwick to Reading is a direct service via Guildford. You'll need a separate ticket for Reading-Twickenham, which is also a direct service..

Gatwick-Reading is a bit further than Dublin to Gorey, so £6 each way per person is not not bad at all really... :wink:
Gatwick Airport to Reading Timetable
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20d ... %20148.pdf
Reading to Twickenham Timetable
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20d ... %20149.pdf
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

There are loads of ways online to figure out how to get where using rail in the UK. I tend to use the trainline since there are apps for phone and ipad that are very handy (see here: http://www.thetrainline.com/) and also people should consult national rail or at least stick their number in their phones (here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/). With these two you should be fine getting to the game. Around and about London the transport for london pages will give you updates on tubes etc (see: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

berniemac67 wrote:i suspect this means you can use other routes to make your trip indirectly
the train operators are money grabbing b$&%@#ds so i doubt this includes anything other than 2 trips - one to reading from gatwaick and one to gatwick from reading
+1 what this guy says. The train companies can make it very difficult to understand their terms and conditions and will use any error on your part to extract money from you.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Flying into Gatwick but staying in Hounslow. Any idea about how to get between them on train/tube on a step-free accessible route? I know all tube stations don't have step-free accessibility so it looks to me like the best option would be to get the Gatwick-Victoria train, get a cab over to Green Park and then get the Piccadilly line out to Hounslow - or spend a few grand flying to Heathrow!
I know will take a good while but we've lots of time and can have a beer stop around Victoria.

Edit: I see you can get a train to Clapham Junction and change for a train to Hounslow, takes about an hour.
Dont Panic!
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

Dexter wrote:Flying into Gatwick but staying in Hounslow. Any idea about how to get between them on train/tube on a step-free accessible route? I know all tube stations don't have step-free accessibility so it looks to me like the best option would be to get the Gatwick-Victoria train, get a cab over to Green Park and then get the Piccadilly line out to Hounslow - or spend a few grand flying to Heathrow!
I know will take a good while but we've lots of time and can have a beer stop around Victoria.

Edit: I see you can get a train to Clapham Junction and change for a train to Hounslow, takes about an hour.
Changing trains at Clapham Junction isn't step free as you will need to change platforms and that means stairs up or down at both platforms and a short walk between, but the stairs aren't that long and it is much easier than changing at Victoria.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Dexter wrote:Flying into Gatwick but staying in Hounslow. Any idea about how to get between them on train/tube on a step-free accessible route? I know all tube stations don't have step-free accessibility so it looks to me like the best option would be to get the Gatwick-Victoria train, get a cab over to Green Park and then get the Piccadilly line out to Hounslow - or spend a few grand flying to Heathrow!

Clapham Junction has Step Free access
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/clj/details.html
Also Hounslow is Step Free
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/hou/details.html
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Thanks for the info. Checked into getting an airport pickup cab to take 5 of us in an MPV, works out around 70STG which seems well worth it. Train tickets would probably be something similar with a lot more hassle.
Dont Panic!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I got one day travelcards out of Gatwick for rail and tube travel throughout London including the to and from Gatwick bit for £13.35 each by booking online. Valid for all train operators. Staying in Gatwick Airport Hotel on Sat night for an early flight home Sunday so this suits us perfectly. A single journey on the Gatwick Express is more expensive!
Four Stars
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Lar wrote:I got one day travelcards out of Gatwick for rail and tube travel throughout London including the to and from Gatwick bit for £13.35 each by booking online. Valid for all train operators. Staying in Gatwick Airport Hotel on Sat night for an early flight home Sunday so this suits us perfectly. A single journey on the Gatwick Express is more expensive!

what site you but that from/on??
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

How do you reply to a pm? Seems my reply is stuck in my outbox?

Answer is www.southernrailway.com is the site I used. Www.nationalrail.co.uk also sells tickets I think. Hope the same prices are still available as I booked about a month ago. I think they sell them cheaper the further in advance you buy.
Four Stars
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Posted elsewhere:
I believe the Visitor Oyster cards start at £13 and include kids under 11 for free. It looks like they can be bought in the station at Gatwick.
Dont Panic!