Clermont HC Away

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Clermont HC Away

Post by mikey »

So, with the fixtures out we have the challenge to get to Clermont for a game at 4.00pm on a Sunday in December......certainly not that easy from the UK from my initial checking now. At present for us looks like either a round trip to Limoges, hire a car and drive, or into Limoges and back from Lyon. Either way its a car, and 3 nights in a hotel.....plus a 2 hour drive this end to Stansted - anyone found any clever ways to get there yet??
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: Clermont HC Away

Post by sheepshagger »

mikey wrote:So, with the fixtures out we have the challenge to get to Clermont for a game at 4.00pm on a Sunday in December......certainly not that easy from the UK from my initial checking now. At present for us looks like either a round trip to Limoges, hire a car and drive, or into Limoges and back from Lyon. Either way its a car, and 3 nights in a hotel.....plus a 2 hour drive this end to Stansted - anyone found any clever ways to get there yet??
We hired a van and a driver last time from Lyon, was 11 of us IIRC.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

sheepshagger wrote:
mikey wrote:So, with the fixtures out we have the challenge to get to Clermont for a game at 4.00pm on a Sunday in December......certainly not that easy from the UK from my initial checking now. At present for us looks like either a round trip to Limoges, hire a car and drive, or into Limoges and back from Lyon. Either way its a car, and 3 nights in a hotel.....plus a 2 hour drive this end to Stansted - anyone found any clever ways to get there yet??
We hired a van and a driver last time from Lyon, was 11 of us IIRC.

Nice idea.....i'm hoping that the charter may well a viable option, despite having tp first fly to Dublin to pick it up!!
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

We had planned to fly via Lyon but no Saturday flights :cry:

Ryanair fly to places dotted all over France but very few during the winter period. Looked at Aer Lingus to CDG then Air France to Clermont but it was coming in at over €350 and there was something like a 4 hour stopover. Feck that!!

We ended up booking Aer Lingus to Paris and will be driving down - max. 4.5 hours. Flights were only €115 - that over on the Sat and back on the Mon. Hotels are really cheap too so for flights and 2 nights it working out at about €200. You can't go wrong with that!!
12 County Army
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Gonzo wrote:We had planned to fly via Lyon but no Saturday flights :cry:

Ryanair fly to places dotted all over France but very few during the winter period. Looked at Aer Lingus to CDG then Air France to Clermont but it was coming in at over €350 and there was something like a 4 hour stopover. Feck that!!

We ended up booking Aer Lingus to Paris and will be driving down - max. 4.5 hours. Flights were only €115 - that over on the Sat and back on the Mon. Hotels are really cheap too so for flights and 2 nights it working out at about €200. You can't go wrong with that!!
9 hours driving in 2 days is a bit wrong.
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

totalrandomer wrote:

3 days...
12 County Army
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Gonzo wrote:
totalrandomer wrote:

3 days...
Ah that's ok then.................Maybe.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Don't forget to add petrol and tolls. Not sure which would cost more.

Where are you getting 2 hotels and car hire for 85 bills?
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

totalrandomer wrote:Ah that's ok then.................Maybe.
It'll still be quicker then going the stopover route and going by he charter prices for Bordeaux - it's well less than half the price. Can't go wrong really (unless we show up and all they have is a Smart car or something :? )
12 County Army
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

totalrandomer wrote:Don't forget to add petrol and tolls. Not sure which would cost more.

Didn't include car hire but a quick look shows an Opel Insignia for €150. That's a big, comfortable car. A C-class merc is only another €20.

Plenty of hotels in Clermont still going cheap for the 2 nights. They are not ripping us off (yet)
12 County Army
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

You've nearly talked me into it there.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I can't see it being less than €250 pp before match ticket and spends. Clermont is a bugger to get to.

On a Sunday, so I can't go anyway, have zero hols left.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Pair of us getting the red-eye to Paris CDG on Saturday morning and getting a mid afternoon flight on Monday out of Lyon. Hotel booked near the train station in Cleremont for €110 for the two nights....not too shabby. Unable to book the train transfers yet as it's too far ahead at the moment.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Flights (or lack of them) from Newcastle and East Mids suggest I might be watching from the couch. Still have a few options to try but I think Mikey has it about right - getting to the game from the UK is not going to be easy unless you plan to stay for about five days. I am teaching Mondays and Thursdays so will need to get out of dodge on a late flight after the game and that isn't looking good.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Last time out we flew to CDG and got the train to Montferrand from Gare Bercy (I think). That way is doable but it took quite a while to get there (flights and train times were the guts of 5 hours travelling :shock: )

Twas worth it though 8)
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Gonzo wrote:
totalrandomer wrote:Don't forget to add petrol and tolls. Not sure which would cost more.

Didn't include car hire but a quick look shows an Opel Insignia for €150. That's a big, comfortable car. A C-class merc is only another €20.

Plenty of hotels in Clermont still going cheap for the 2 nights. They are not ripping us off (yet)
You deffo talked me into it.
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

johng wrote:You deffo talked me into it.
Good man :happy clapper:

There is only two of us so far and we will be looking for another pair to share the journey with (all other mates seem to be waiting for the OLSC option which was very expensive for a 2 nighter to Bordeaux). With 4 people it looks like a Merc C-class will be about €75 a head all in so certainly not too expensive to travel in comfort and style 8)
12 County Army
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

johng wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

You deffo talked me into it.
Talked me into it as well.

This has to be one of the cheapest ways of getting there.

Cheers.

I think.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Rémy63
Bookworm

Post by Rémy63 »

Hope to see a lot of leinstermen in Clermont !
"Worst Olympic Game Ever"
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Rémy63 wrote:Hope to see a lot of leinstermen in Clermont !
I don't think there will be that many travelling Remy... the Sunday scheduling has made it more difficult for most people. The ones who do go will make their presence felt though.
Dont Panic!