Ulster Away Trip

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

jamoTec
Bookworm

Post by jamoTec »

yeah fantastic work KT(f) and Flash.......

This sounds lik a good idea, a great idea!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

LeopoldButters wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
ckav wrote: Err...

guys, sorry to hear you're making your own plans - the Branch bus trips are always good fun. Anyway, hope you all get there in once piece and I'm sure we'll see you there or thereabouts...!
You better than anyone knows how much profit the branch would have made off the coach to Ravenhill. If you want to support the branch ripping off the fans, go ahead. I won't.

We're trying to be proactive here because the branch has shown a total lack of respect for the fans - they profiteer from us on coach trips and they endorse a travel company that extorts the fans.

Its time the fans took a stand against being ripped off. But if you don't have a probelm with that, i guess you'll be on the branch gravy train.....
jesus lads this is getting fairly political. how much is the branch charging for a bus? is the feeling support the branch or organise our own transport? can we have a poll to simplify this issue???
I agree with the politics statement - they only charge to cover costs. I know because I've organised these for the past couple of seasons. If people here want to organise their own transport, then good for them and about time too... :lol:

bTW Flash, do I take your comment to mean I'm barred from going on your bus? :lol:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:
LeopoldButters wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: You better than anyone knows how much profit the branch would have made off the coach to Ravenhill. If you want to support the branch ripping off the fans, go ahead. I won't.

We're trying to be proactive here because the branch has shown a total lack of respect for the fans - they profiteer from us on coach trips and they endorse a travel company that extorts the fans.

Its time the fans took a stand against being ripped off. But if you don't have a probelm with that, i guess you'll be on the branch gravy train.....
jesus lads this is getting fairly political. how much is the branch charging for a bus? is the feeling support the branch or organise our own transport? can we have a poll to simplify this issue???
I agree with the politics statement - they only charge to cover costs. I know because I've organised these for the past couple of seasons. If people here want to organise their own transport, then good for them and about time too... :lol:

bTW Flash, do I take your comment to mean I'm barred from going on your bus? :lol:
You're more than welcome on the bus - it ain't my bus by the way, its the fan's! :D

Why do you agree with the politics statement. There aren't any politics here, its just a group of people objecting to being ripped off! :?

As for costs, as you well know Catherine, the branch made a decent profit on the bus two seasons ago. That came from our pockets, I think that's wrong and I don't think we should allow it to happen again.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

I can't imagine that the Branch did much "profiteering" with the Ulster trip last year. I can't remember how much it was but it was very reasonable. I would say it barely broke even with the low numbers that travelled.

I don't think it's wise to split up and start booking different buses. Surely we would be wiser to work as one group and get the most numbers to travel. Stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap.

If we go independantly the Branch won't promote the service. With their access to 3500 season ticket holders, surely the way to go is for us to work closely with the branch. What about a package to include Limerick and Belfast. Maybe an early booking discount to get people to commit.

I would guess we only have 200 active contributors at most on this site. The numbers just don't add up to start booking big buses independant of the branch.

I agree with Flash that the attitude of the branch in the past has been "sod the supporters" but in the interest of the team, and creating the best possible "Leinster Roar" in TP and Ravers, we have no choice but to work with them. From Robbie's posts, I sense a slight change in attitude in D'brook.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Fair point Diablo, but I don't think we'd have too much problems filling a bus anyway from the posters here alone.

I'd say go with it, get 50 names and $$$ up. Count me in anyway.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
apple sourz
Mullet

Post by apple sourz »

Killester WILL be running buses to Ravenhill and Thomond Park. Coach transfers, 3 course lunch & match ticket for €85. Details will be announced shortly.
mmmmm......... it's minty and it's gooooood
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

apple sourz wrote:Killester WILL be running buses to Ravenhill and Thomond Park. Coach transfers, 3 course lunch & match ticket for €85. Details will be announced shortly.
That sounds like a pretty good deal. It's a shame I can't come over for them.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

El Diablo wrote:I can't imagine that the Branch did much "profiteering" with the Ulster trip last year. I can't remember how much it was but it was very reasonable. I would say it barely broke even with the low numbers that travelled.

the attitude of the branch in the past has been "sod the supporters" .

there was precisely zero profit made on last year's bus!! I know because I took the cash for it on the day if you recall.

your second point is both untrue and unfair. The branch bend over backwards for supporters - unfortunately the same cannot be said of Paddy Baird at Killester Travel (last time I looked, Killester Travel wasn't part of the Branch). However, enough pressure on Killester Travel will bring about a change in attitudes, I believe...if not, a different provider should be called upon to provide a quote.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:
El Diablo wrote:I can't imagine that the Branch did much "profiteering" with the Ulster trip last year. I can't remember how much it was but it was very reasonable. I would say it barely broke even with the low numbers that travelled.

the attitude of the branch in the past has been "sod the supporters" .

there was precisely zero profit made on last year's bus!! I know because I took the cash for it on the day if you recall.

your second point is both untrue and unfair. The branch bend over backwards for supporters - unfortunately the same cannot be said of Paddy Baird at Killester Travel (last time I looked, Killester Travel wasn't part of the Branch). However, enough pressure on Killester Travel will bring about a change in attitudes, I believe...if not, a different provider should be called upon to provide a quote.
You're right about last year (obviously) but that wasn't the case the year before, they made a pretty decent profit off us and I think that's out of line.

And I don't agree that the branch bend over backwards for us - how has that been the case? And you can't really seperate the branch and Tout Travel CKav, after all, Tout Travel are the soul provider of travel appointed by errr.......the branch!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

CK
I meant the comment "sod the supporters" specifically in relation to away support. I don't get any sense that they do very much to encourage away support hence my question to Mick Dawson on Slipper1's thread above. I have never got the impression from speaking to any branch employees that it is a priority to get regular away support. The point in my question is that it ain't going to happen by magic. The Toulouse numbers were a once off due to the attraction of the venue and the opposition. We should be aiming for 5,000 at all our away HEC games and a couple of hundred at League games. I doubt very much if the branch even have a target for travelling fans, let alone a plan of how to hit that target.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

OK - best thing to do, would be to take it all up with Mick Dawson on Slipper's Q+A.

Guys, don't forget that the branch approached us (ok, me!) in 04 about getting something set up. They've been massively supportive of our efforts, and do ten times more for us than the administrators of the other provinces do. Just ask Connacht, Ulster or Munster supporters - you won't find their branch and officials helping to transport flags, bodhrans etc. Or actively seeking our opinions on different matters - which I know for a fact happens,

Flash - I've acknowledged that Killester Travel are a bad outfit. Don't forget they focked me over royally, earlier this year, when I tried to book my Dad on a daytrip for his birthday. I haven't forgotten that, and I won't. That's one big bone of contention I have with them, and yes, by virtue of that fact, the Branch who appoint them also.

BTW the previous trips covered costs, adn there was no profit to speak of. It's only in the past year that Killester Travel have started doing their day trip, plus 3 course meal, etc, and they most certainly turn a profit - which goes into their coffers, and not those of the LB.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:OK - best thing to do, would be to take it all up with Mick Dawson on Slipper's Q+A.

Guys, don't forget that the branch approached us (ok, me!) in 04 about getting something set up. They've been massively supportive of our efforts, and do ten times more for us than the administrators of the other provinces do. Just ask Connacht, Ulster or Munster supporters - you won't find their branch and officials helping to transport flags, bodhrans etc. Or actively seeking our opinions on different matters - which I know for a fact happens,

Flash - I've acknowledged that Killester Travel are a bad outfit. Don't forget they focked me over royally, earlier this year, when I tried to book my Dad on a daytrip for his birthday. I haven't forgotten that, and I won't. That's one big bone of contention I have with them, and yes, by virtue of that fact, the Branch who appoint them also.

BTW the previous trips covered costs, adn there was no profit to speak of. It's only in the past year that Killester Travel have started doing their day trip, plus 3 course meal, etc, and they most certainly turn a profit - which goes into their coffers, and not those of the LB.
CKav, I can't agree with you on the branch doing stuff for us......you compare the way we are treated to soccer clubs - its chalk and cheese. We are their customers and pay their bills FFS.

As for Ravers two years ago, I remember someone telling me exactly how much profit they made on that trip and I was pretty fockin shocked.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash Gordon wrote:
ckav wrote:OK - best thing to do, would be to take it all up with Mick Dawson on Slipper's Q+A.

CKav, I can't agree with you on the branch doing stuff for us......you compare the way we are treated to soccer clubs - its chalk and cheese. We are their customers and pay their bills FFS.

As for Ravers two years ago, I remember someone telling me exactly how much profit they made on that trip and I was pretty fockin shocked.
Really? :shock: you mean the trip where 2 of the guys made their own way home (apologies again, Eoin and Killian.. :oops: )

I definitely agree that we have HUGE improvements to make, though. You're right there. Don't forget that soccer clubs are huge, multi-million pound businesses with years of practice in this field, though. We're in the hapenny place. I'm confident that we'll make big strides, though..
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

apple sourz wrote:Killester WILL be running buses to Ravenhill and Thomond Park. Coach transfers, 3 course lunch & match ticket for €85. Details will be announced shortly.
Their website is currently advertising these two trips - phone is 8336935 or e-mail "rugby@killestertravel.com

They're also doing away trips to Llanelli (waaay too much cash) and Cardiff for the ML games.
apple sourz
Mullet

Post by apple sourz »

Reading this this a lot of interest and I'll throw in my tupence for what it's worth.

In my opinion, the branch can never do enough for the supporters and should actively encourage people to travel. Some teams in the GP actually provide coaches free of charge and supporters only have to but their tickets from their club. The amount of money we spend following our team (away travel, merchandise, etc) is increasing every year so any assistance from the branch is welcome.

Killester are offering a package to Llanelli for €250 + €50 tax for a one night.

I'm flying in/out of Bristol, train to Llanelli and one night in the same hotel for under €140. And that's allowing a few quid in case we need to get a cab to Swansea if there's any problems with the trains.

As CK says, you have the Q&A with Mick this week so use the opportunity.
mmmmm......... it's minty and it's gooooood
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

Maybe we should make a decision on whether we are renting our own bus or whether we are going with Killester, before people go about booking with Killester and then we can't fill a bus. I for one could do without the 3 course lunch, and the paying the 85 lids, but I'll do it if that is the way people are doing it.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

sexy_rexy wrote:Maybe we should make a decision on whether we are renting our own bus or whether we are going with Killester, before people go about booking with Killester and then we can't fill a bus. I for one could do without the 3 course lunch, and the paying the 85 lids, but I'll do it if that is the way people are doing it.
Bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

:arrow:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

harryp wrote:
sexy_rexy wrote:Maybe we should make a decision on whether we are renting our own bus or whether we are going with Killester, before people go about booking with Killester and then we can't fill a bus. I for one could do without the 3 course lunch, and the paying the 85 lids, but I'll do it if that is the way people are doing it.
Bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

You sure about that?

:wink:
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

harryp wrote:
Bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

Harry, you do realise that the discussion is about which bus we take....don't you????
A proud Winsome Fluter
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
harryp wrote:
Bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

bus bus bus bus

Harry, you do realise that the discussion is about which bus we take....don't you????
Fock me, you're nearly as easy as Leinsterman. :lol:

Fock Killester Travel, shower of Northsoide Thieves!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys