Northampton match

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

LoveNorthampton

Northampton match

Post by LoveNorthampton »

Hi all,
Northampton looks forward to welcoming all Leinster fans to our town on Saturday 7 December and if any of you would like to know the best places to eat, shop and visit please let us know by tweeting us @LoveNorthampton (you can also visit our website - link is on the bio of our twitter profile). We also have some fantastic offers for rugby fans on food, drink, entertainment and leisure.

We hope you have a fantastic time in Northampton and if you have any questions please get in touch!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Northampton match

Post by footrush »

LoveNorthampton wrote:Hi all,
Northampton looks forward to welcoming all Leinster fans to our town on Saturday 7 December and if any of you would like to know the best places to eat, shop and visit please let us know by tweeting us @LoveNorthampton (you can also visit our website - link is on the bio of our twitter profile). We also have some fantastic offers for rugby fans on food, drink, entertainment and leisure.

We hope you have a fantastic time in Northampton and if you have any questions please get in touch!
Thanks for the welcome I'm arriving in Northampton early on the saturday morning, always like to vist a church/cathedral/abbey on away trips to settle the nerves, somewhere peacful with a bit of atmosphere would be great any recomendations please ?.
Flying wedge
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

footrush wrote:

Thanks for the welcome I'm arriving in Northampton early on the saturday morning, always like to vist a church/cathedral/abbey on away trips to settle the nerves, somewhere peacful with a bit of atmosphere would be great any recomendations please ?.
Its true, he was spotted trotting around Exeter's grand pile last January before surfacing at the ground in a prime position a good five hours before KO. :D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

domhnallj wrote:
footrush wrote:

Its true, he was spotted trotting around Exeter's grand pile last January before surfacing at the ground in a prime position a good five hours before KO. :D
Yep always send one up before a game.
Flying wedge
LoveNorthampton

There are lots of fantastic churches and parks in Northampton. Here's a list for you.

St Peter's Church
This churched housed the great shrine of St Ragener. A saxon stone burial slab which may have been associated with St Ragener's tomb can be seen in the south aisle.

Address: Marefair, Northampton. NN1 1ST
(300 yards from Northampton train station)

Opening times: Wednesday - Saturdays inclusive 10.00 – 4.00 pm

Church of the Holy Sepulchre
This church is the oldest standing building in Northampton. It was built in around 1100 by Simon de Senlis and is modelled on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. It is one of only four round churches in England and is about half the size of the original!

Address: Sheep Street Northampton NN1 3NL

Opening times: The church itself may be closed during winter period, but it's still nice to view from the outside.

All Saints' Church
This church was designed by King's Lynn architect Henry Bell and was opened in 1680. The church is situated in the heart of the town and features a cafe.

Address: George Row, Northampton. NN1 1DF

Opening times: 9:00am to 6:00pm every day

St Giles Church
This Church was built in the 12th century and is a Grade I listed building with features including a stunning Victorian painted glass window.

Address: St Giles' Terrace, Northampton NN1 2BN

Opening times: 10:00am - Morning Service & 7:00pm - Evening Service

Abington Park
A family favorite park loved for its ornamental gardens, tree-lined pathways and lakes as it is for its historic follies, play areas and museum (which was once home to Shakespeare's granddaughter)

Address: Northampton. NN3 3HN

Delapre Abbey & park
The abbey was founded in 1145 for a community of nuns from the great abbey of Cluny in France. It was one of only three Cluniac monasteries built in England set up for women. The grounds include ornamental rock and water gardens, a walled garden with a sculpture trail and extensive lawns and woods. The abbey is surrounded by 500 acres of open parkland - which was also the location of the battle of Northampton in 1460.

Delapre Abbey also has Tea Rooms on site which are open from 10am until 5pm, Monday through Sunday.

Address: London Road, Northampton. NN4 8AW

Becket's Park and Marina
Becket's Park curves round the river in the centre of Northampton. The beautiful park has a marina, play area, public art and tennis courts. This is a great park to relax and watch the canal boats and wildlife.

Address: Nunn Mills Road, Northampton. NN1 5NX

I hope this helps and hope you have a fantastic time in Northampton.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

LoveNorthampton wrote:There are lots of fantastic churches and parks in Northampton. Here's a list for you.

St Peter's Church
This churched housed the great shrine of St Ragener. A saxon stone burial slab which may have been associated with St Ragener's tomb can be seen in the south aisle.

Address: Marefair, Northampton. NN1 1ST
(300 yards from Northampton train station)

Opening times: Wednesday - Saturdays inclusive 10.00 – 4.00 pm

Church of the Holy Sepulchre
This church is the oldest standing building in Northampton. It was built in around 1100 by Simon de Senlis and is modelled on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. It is one of only four round churches in England and is about half the size of the original!

Address: Sheep Street Northampton NN1 3NL

Opening times: The church itself may be closed during winter period, but it's still nice to view from the outside.

All Saints' Church
This church was designed by King's Lynn architect Henry Bell and was opened in 1680. The church is situated in the heart of the town and features a cafe.

Address: George Row, Northampton. NN1 1DF

Opening times: 9:00am to 6:00pm every day

St Giles Church
This Church was built in the 12th century and is a Grade I listed building with features including a stunning Victorian painted glass window.

Address: St Giles' Terrace, Northampton NN1 2BN

Opening times: 10:00am - Morning Service & 7:00pm - Evening Service

Abington Park
A family favorite park loved for its ornamental gardens, tree-lined pathways and lakes as it is for its historic follies, play areas and museum (which was once home to Shakespeare's granddaughter)

Address: Northampton. NN3 3HN

Delapre Abbey & park
The abbey was founded in 1145 for a community of nuns from the great abbey of Cluny in France. It was one of only three Cluniac monasteries built in England set up for women. The grounds include ornamental rock and water gardens, a walled garden with a sculpture trail and extensive lawns and woods. The abbey is surrounded by 500 acres of open parkland - which was also the location of the battle of Northampton in 1460.

Delapre Abbey also has Tea Rooms on site which are open from 10am until 5pm, Monday through Sunday.

Address: London Road, Northampton. NN4 8AW

Becket's Park and Marina
Becket's Park curves round the river in the centre of Northampton. The beautiful park has a marina, play area, public art and tennis courts. This is a great park to relax and watch the canal boats and wildlife.

Address: Nunn Mills Road, Northampton. NN1 5NX

I hope this helps and hope you have a fantastic time in Northampton.
Fantastic thanks really appreciate this, can't wait to visit you. Ps In the same vein is it possible to take a tour of the church shoe factory ?. Also how far is the train station from the ground please ?.
Flying wedge
LoveNorthampton

Hi,
I'm not sure about their tours but you might like to give them a ring or drop them an email to check:

Phone: 01604 751251
Email: client.service@church-footwear.com
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

LoveNorthampton wrote:Hi,
I'm not sure about their tours but you might like to give them a ring or drop them an email to check:

Phone: 01604 751251
Email: client.service@church-footwear.com
Thanks so much you've been really helpful, appreciate it.
Flying wedge
Sarge
Beginner

Post by Sarge »

From the railway station it is a 15-20 minute walk to Franklin's Gardens (but you may wish to allow a little bit longer as there are two pubs and a working mens club en route).
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Don't forget the lift test tower. :)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Sarge wrote:From the railway station it is a 15-20 minute walk to Franklin's Gardens (but you may wish to allow a little bit longer as there are two pubs and a working mens club en route).
Is the working men's club CIU?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

louielou
Beginner

Post by louielou »

domhnallj wrote:
Sarge wrote:From the railway station it is a 15-20 minute walk to Franklin's Gardens (but you may wish to allow a little bit longer as there are two pubs and a working mens club en route).
It is CIU but match day they will let anyone in...cheapest beer you'll get near the ground!!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

louielou wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
It is CIU but match day they will let anyone in...cheapest beer you'll get near the ground!!
What? Even the women?? :D

I was a member of Tramways Club in York when I lived there, real Phoenix Nights place - brilliant. Let my subs slip when I moved away and have regretted it ever since.

louielou
Beginner

Post by louielou »

Is the working men's club CIU?[/quote]

It is CIU but match day they will let anyone in...cheapest beer you'll get near the ground!![/quote]

What? Even the women?? :D

I was a member of Tramways Club in York when I lived there, real Phoenix Nights place - brilliant. Let my subs slip when I moved away and have regretted it ever since.[/quote]

Wait till you see the women in their...they have more facial hair than most of the blokes :lol:
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

louielou wrote:
Wait till you see the women in their...they have more facial hair than most of the blokes :lol:
:shock:

That's my pre-game drinkies sorted out. I love these clubs. Can you send the name and address?

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Domhnall in "liking hairy women" shocker..... Euuuugh.

There are websites for people like you..... :shock:
rekolb
Bookworm

Post by rekolb »

As an expat living in the London Area I need 4 tickets, big ask I appreciate....invited the lads over and promised I'd sort the tickets, needless to say they are now sold out....DOH!

Have also posted in the tickets section!
louielou
Beginner

Post by louielou »

domhnallj wrote:
louielou wrote:
:shock:

That's my pre-game drinkies sorted out. I love these clubs. Can you send the name and address?

You won't miss it fella nearest drinking hole to the ground..
Just ask a local where jimmies club is.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:Domhnall in "liking hairy women" shocker..... Euuuugh.

Hey, we're all Europeans now.

louielou
Beginner

Post by louielou »

domhnallj wrote:
johng wrote:Domhnall in "liking hairy women" shocker..... Euuuugh.

Hey, we're all Europeans now.

Yes and you will realise that when you ask a local!!!

How goods your polish??? :wink: