Getting to Toulon ?.

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Scooby Shaggy Swerve
Learner

Re: Getting to Toulon ?.

Post by Scooby Shaggy Swerve »

vienne86 wrote:Can't wait for this weekend. We're off early in the morning, so looking at packing now. Looks like next weekend will be nice and warm - should be a great occasion. C'MON LEINSTER!
yes, yes yes.. getting that over excited nervous away trip feeling.
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

Anyone else driving down and back from Nice? We are on the 9.15am flight over on Saturday and the 9.15 flight home on Monday.

So, we are looking at stopping off somewhere along the way to watch the Munster match. Any advice??
https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Nice+ ... s&t=m&z=10
12 County Army
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

On the same flights.

Not much time before the Munster match. Probably Ma Nolan's in Nice.

Train to Toulon is only 20 to 25 bucks each way. Even with 4 people it is probably a better bet than a car (Financially) when you take in Petrol, parking etc. etc.

There is one that gets you to Toulon in plenty of time for Ulster and gives you about 40 mins from the end of the Munster game to walk the mile to the Train station from the pub.
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

The car is actually working out cheaper believe it or not. We are looking at the train options as well - the only downside would be missing the Clermont v Leicester match. The thinking is, hop into the car, stopoff for the Musnter match then arrive in time for the Claremont match...
12 County Army
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Gonzo wrote:The car is actually working out cheaper believe it or not. We are looking at the train options as well - the only downside would be missing the Clermont v Leicester match.
Swings and roundabouts on a car. Gives you freedom to come and go as you please, but is a responsibility re. crashing/ someone messing with it/someone not drinking/having to find parking etc.
Gonzo wrote: The thinking is, hop into the car, stopoff for the Musnter match then arrive in time for the Claremont match...
What are you driving? the batmobile? 150 km in 40 minutes? :)
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

johng wrote:
Gonzo wrote:The car is actually working out cheaper believe it or not. We are looking at the train options as well - the only downside would be missing the Clermont v Leicester match.
Swings and roundabouts on a car. Gives you freedom to come and go as you please, but is a responsibility re. crashing/ someone messing with it/someone not drinking/having to find parking etc.
Gonzo wrote: The thinking is, hop into the car, stopoff for the Musnter match then arrive in time for the Claremont match...
What are you driving? the batmobile? 150 km in 40 minutes? :)
There is discounted underground parking at the hotel in Toulon.

Nice airport is only 1.5 hours drive to Toulon. Plenty of time to get there for the Clermont match even with stopping off somewhere on the way to watch the Munster game!!
12 County Army
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Munster game finishes at circa 16:20 local time. Clermont game kicks off at 17:00. You would get to see some of it for sure. Probably have to miss a half of one of the games though.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:Munster game finishes at circa 16:20 local time. Clermont game kicks off at 17:00. You would get to see some of it for sure. Probably have to miss a half of one of the games though.
Think Gonzo is talking about hopping straight into the Clio at the airport, getting it to a cruising speed of 140 kph and hitting the anchors somewhere en route for game 1 - then back into the Clio for a final approach to Toulon.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
vienne86
Beginner

Post by vienne86 »

Gonzo wrote:The car is actually working out cheaper believe it or not. We are looking at the train options as well - the only downside would be missing the Clermont v Leicester match. The thinking is, hop into the car, stopoff for the Musnter match then arrive in time for the Claremont match...
That doesn't surprise me at all. We are picking up a car on Friday morning in Nice, and dropping it off Tuesday evening at the airport. 127 for a Ford Focus for five days, and gives us chance to do a few trips.

Safe travelling everyone!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

domhnallj wrote:
johng wrote:Munster game finishes at circa 16:20 local time. Clermont game kicks off at 17:00. You would get to see some of it for sure. Probably have to miss a half of one of the games though.
Think Gonzo is talking about hopping straight into the Clio at the airport, getting it to a cruising speed of 140 kph and hitting the anchors somewhere en route for game 1 - then back into the Clio for a final approach to Toulon.
Yeah. I was just highlighting the fact that there was only 40 mins in between the games in case Gonzo or anyone else had not taken the "local time" into account. It has caught me out before.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Muriel wrote:Yeah, I read that and wasn't impressed so figured I see if anyone else had ideas...
If it helps - I'm on the flight arriving at 2.15 on Sat - Had a look at trains - there is a 3.35 but given the trip into Nice etc I reckoned it would be almost impossible. The bus to Nice train station (99) leaves at 3 - might just make it but pretty tight.

I booked the 5pm train - plan on getting into Nice, find a pub and watch whatever is left of the Munster game - then afterwards head to the train. Gets in about 6.40 to Toulon.

Welcome to join in any or all of that if you want - I'm sure there will be a trail of people doing the same
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

Breaking - good- news !

I'm sorry I'm very very late on this one, but I don't drink :oops: so it didn't ping my curiosity before, probably your tour managers already had it for weeks :lol: , I don't know : for those who like to taste wines and gastronomic food, there is a trade show this weekend named BACCHUS in Place d'Armes, Toulon.
http://www.bacchus-fete.com/
It's still downtown, not that far from Mayol.
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Place+ ... 1b86?hl=fr

Wednesday 11.00 AM to 19.00 PM
Saturday 10.00 AM to 19.30 PM
Sunday 10.00 AM to 18.30 PM
Free admission.
For tasting you have to pay once your own marked glass for the whole day 4€ at the reception.

That said, as usual drink moderately, and don't if you have to drive, of course.
I'm french. Please correct my english mistakes !
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Toulon fan wrote:

That said, as usual drink moderately.

Do you know you're talking to Irish fans?

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

:lol:
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

VGE wrote:
Toulon fan wrote:

Au revoir.

Of course! This is why I add it! :P
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Toulon fan wrote:
VGE wrote:
Toulon fan wrote:

Au revoir.

Of course! This is why I add it! :P

You do know you're both French - you can chat in French between yourselves - because we're ignoring this anyway :wink:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

He's not french at all! He's auvergnat! :roll:
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

Toulon fan wrote:He's not french at all! He's auvergnat! :roll:
I'm not. And I don't jump.

Can't wait this week end. Four real quarters.

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Back on topic, I was trying to book a train from Saint Augustin to Toulon on the SNCF website, but only one station in Nice seems to appear. Is it actually possible to get a direct train or do I have to go to the city centre?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I looked at it previously. Before realising I would be watching the Munster game in Nice. Not all the trains go there, but I could book it. Not sure the trains are all direct. Think there was a change in Antibes or somewhere.