Montmartre accommodation for Racing Metro

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

saintian

Montmartre accommodation for Racing Metro

Post by saintian »

Hello all, Saints fan in peace here. Well done on the weekend, btw; your academy boys made a few of ours sweat for a while there.

As you guys played Racing in Paris a few years back (before winning *that* Final IIRC) could anybody recommend anywhere half-decent (but not budget-blowing) to stay in Montmartre. I am going with She Who Must Be Obeyed so it can't be *too* basic. Thanks in advance and see you all at Twickenham for a re-run of the Cardiff Final! :D
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: Montmartre accommodation for Racing Metro

Post by sheepshagger »

Stayed here before, is close to trains etc.

The OLSC did an away guide too

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/cont ... Guide1.pdf
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

saintian wrote:Hello all, Saints fan in peace here. Well done on the weekend, btw; your academy boys made a few of ours sweat for a while there.

As you guys played Racing in Paris a few years back (before winning *that* Final IIRC) could anybody recommend anywhere half-decent (but not budget-blowing) to stay in Montmartre. I am going with She Who Must Be Obeyed so it can't be *too* basic. Thanks in advance and see you all at Twickenham for a re-run of the Cardiff Final! :D

Hotel Tour D'Auvergne is near Montmartre
Lovely hotel and not too expensive - particularly for a Saints fan
Sterling is strong at the moment
We always stay there when in Paris for rugby
Near Gare Du Nord
You can walk to the hotel from the station
Enjoy Paris and just pray that Jonny doesn't perform like in Cardiff
saintian

Post by saintian »

Cheers sheepshagger and Dundalk 1, *much* appreciated....and yes, I'm already praying that your ex- and future 10 doesn't take us apart like that fateful day in Cardiff (I shouldn't grumble though, the best team won it if I am being honest).
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

saintian wrote:Hello all, Saints fan in peace here. Well done on the weekend, btw; your academy boys made a few of ours sweat for a while there.

I haven't been for Leinster games but a group of us go to Paris for the International games every year for the last 20 or so - hope this is useful.

We don't stay in Montmartre but instead close to the Louvre. It's particualrly handy if the game is played in Stade de France as there is direct train from Chatelet - which is also a major hub for the various Metro lines so a handy spot to get anywhere. It also is direct train from CDG airport if that's where you are flying to. It's a pretty pleasant area for beers and some good "out of the way" local restaurants where you don't get stiffed. Also a nice area for the "morning after" stroll to clear the head - nice park nearby and the grounds of the Louvre 5 mins away

There are a few Best Westerns around there that I've stayed in and which are reasonably predictable and decent value depending on the date (under €100 pp per night)
http://www.bestwestern-bourgogne.com/ is less than 5 mins walk from Chatelet Les Halles station
http://www.bestwesternpremier-louvresainthonore.com/ is another less than 10 mins walk from the station

Have also used this one - which is a classic 3 star Parisian hotel - clean and fine but "compact" - which is fine for a weekend where you will be out most of the time
http://www.hotel-louvre-paris.com/en/ This used be very cheap considering but they have done it up - I'm guessing a bit more expensive.

What I have found with hotels in Paris is that the rack rate quoted on their sites tend to be quote high and the deals are often found on the aggregators like hotels.com or similar - sometimes you have to be willing to go with a "pre paid" rate and then you can get decent deals. I would also suggest using the map version of those sites because there are a lot of decent 3* private hotels in Paris and if you know the area you want to stay in, then using an aggregator site within that area can find the better deals.

Hope that helps - if you sort out where you are staying and want ideas for restaurants - pop a note back here.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you