European Cup final 2019

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Re: European Cup final 2019

Postby Lar » January 23rd, 2019, 4:48 pm

Agreed. With huge respect to Connacht it remains a challenge cup semi final - very unlikely to sell the Aviva out. They might not get a lot more than they would in the Sportsground anyway.
Four Stars
Lar
Mullet

Postby Schumi » January 23rd, 2019, 5:09 pm

brotheroffrank wrote:"The semi-final matches will be played at home venues, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home venue advantage in their respective semi-final matches"

Nothing about Stadium size....why would Connacht move their match to Dublin with logistical difficulties on ticket sales etc in a short time period...? Leinster have enough issues selling the Munster & Christmas games and have promotions, lead in time, etc;

If they don't have to move, they should keep it in the Sportsground. I thought there might be similar rules to the Champions Cup.
Schumi
Knowledgeable

Postby Lar » January 23rd, 2019, 8:59 pm

Of course, I may have been stupid. Do the semi finals get played at neutral venues in the highest seeds country?
If that's the case Thomond Park probably makes most sense should Connacht make it that far and are seeded.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Four Stars
Lar
Mullet

Postby blockhead » January 23rd, 2019, 10:25 pm

Lar wrote:Of course, I may have been stupid. Do the semi finals get played at neutral venues in the highest seeds country?
If that's the case Thomond Park probably makes most sense should Connacht make it that far and are seeded.

Yeah TP would be the obvious one if they had to move anywhere. The IRFU would be the recipients of the stadium hiring fee anyways so it makes sense. It's about E300K to hire out the Aviva and I think the FAI would get a slice of that as co owners. So you'd want to be shifting a fair few seats to make it financially viable.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll

Postby neill_m » January 23rd, 2019, 11:11 pm

Lar wrote:Of course, I may have been stupid. Do the semi finals get played at neutral venues in the highest seeds country?

There is no requirement in the Challenge Cup for neutral venue semi finals, but of course clubs could move a game to another stadium by choice.
neill_m
Graduate

Postby rooster » January 24th, 2019, 12:20 am

neill_m wrote:

There is no requirement in the Challenge Cup for neutral venue semi finals, but of course clubs could move a game to another stadium by choice.
Semi final stage there is no financial incentive to move like the quarter finals as far as I remember.
rooster
Malcolm O'Kelly

Previous

Return to On The Road